build: 71 FJ40 “Stripes” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took her to the local cars and coffee In Griffith park area.
Lots of cars shows up this time it was full by 7 am.
18 mile drive i gotta say it is a fun drive but I need to upgrade this suspension on this ride. I hit a bump and it just rattles the whole truck and veers wildly.

C9CE2A9C-FB9F-4566-B5B4-5BD0F68230E8.jpeg

01A3DF86-5039-48CA-80F2-48612B84E61C.jpeg

9C56CCAA-E590-4118-BCA2-FFB6311CE0D9.jpeg

2D882C20-2239-4A2F-849F-45ED10CD42B6.jpeg

They took the blue plates? I've always kept them at home when i've inquired about trying to use them in case that happened.
I couldn’t keep them. Well I kept one she let me keep the front one.
But the plates where not Year of Manufactured plate. From what she told me the plates have to have a stamp on the right top corner with the year. These plates where not!

I couldn’t keep them. Well I kept one she let me keep the front one.
But the plates where not Year of Manufactured plate. From what she told me the plates have to have a stamp on the right top corner with the year. These plates where not!
She is incorrect. I recently had blue & yellow plates assigned to us (thru the YOM) program. You need a matching year sticker to match your vehicle's build date. If the plates were original to your vehicle then YOM doesn't apply and a new year tag/sticker (not stamp) is all that is needed from DMV. DMV spells it out on-line. YOM is similar to "specialty plates". I had to go to another DMV because the local one, "subject matter experts" were dead wrong processing the YOM. You might want to try to go YOM with the one plate you have and try another DMV but be clear the plate IS original to the vehicle or see if you can swap them back. I can guess that you might run into more problems because she took them out of circulation. It's too bad she had the wrong information.

You can find year tags for sale through folks that restore plates. They can also remake a plate for ya too. These guys usually can be found at auto gatherings! The one guy I have purchased from is right in your neck of the woods too!

California License Plates - http://www.davesclp.com/

She is incorrect. I recently had blue & yellow plates assigned to us (thru the YOM) program. You need a matching year sticker to match your vehicle's build date. If the plates were original to your vehicle then YOM doesn't apply and a new year tag/sticker (not stamp) is all that is needed from DMV. DMV spells it out on-line. YOM is similar to "specialty plates". I had to go to another DMV because the local one, "subject matter experts" were dead wrong processing the YOM. You might want to try to go YOM with the one plate you have and try another DMV but be clear the plate IS original to the vehicle or see if you can swap them back. I can guess that you might run into more problems because she took them out of circulation. It's too bad she had the wrong information.

You can find year tags for sale through folks that restore plates. They can also remake a plate for ya too. These guys usually can be found at auto gatherings! The one guy I have purchased from is right in your neck of the woods too!

@firemanj62
You are correct that was also one of the reasons she didn’t put them back to Re circulation.
The plates I gave her had no 71 tags on it either.
They had disintegrated so no such tags.
Oh well but she did try to use them by trying to go another route. But the truck was out of circulation for a long time that it wasn’t in the system. She said if they where at least some movement with paper work i.e. tags she could of used that to have them back in.
Oh well!
I felt she tried and she wasn’t so cut and dry she was very pleasant.
I kept the one of them. It would of been nice to have the blue plates.

Today I removed the side panels on the 40.
Adjusted my clutch pedal cause it was engaging to early.
Fixed my brake lights and and my license plate light.
Noticed I developed a slight exhaust leak and found it was coming from the exhaust manifold at the flange. Going to take it back to my muffler guy and he have them repair that.
Cleaned the rear jump seat and front seats!
I think I am going to remove the roll bar and have it powder coated and add some better reinforcement plates at the mounting points.
Other wise slowly dialog this rig up slowly.

23C0FB2A-840D-45DE-8378-2380D8A3F156.jpeg

F1EC996A-9E2A-45C8-B747-F583729ED480.jpeg

B236D195-983A-4801-B8BF-427F04F79D26.jpeg

sweet Jorge !

i simply LOVE OEM Wagon wheels ..........

:cool:

coolfj40_2271_74846710.jpeg

Not much of any kind of work done on the 40 series. Been driving it mostly around town.
Definitely needs a suspension upgrade. I hit a bump and it feels like my back teeth shatter every time.
She starts up every time.
It is fun driving her around lots of smiles and thumbs up from people more than the 60 series gets.
I enjoy driving both of them.

4683D272-D271-4285-8F1B-96907410AEDA.jpeg

1B56228D-2B1F-46C0-8544-E15414B3B6BB.jpeg

Not much of any kind of work done on the 40 series. Been driving it mostly around town.
Definitely needs a suspension upgrade. I hit a bump and it feels like my back teeth shatter every time.
She starts up every time.
It is fun driving her around lots of smiles and thumbs up from people more than the 60 series gets.
I enjoy driving both of them.

View attachment 3099709

View attachment 3099710
Looking good Jorge!

Is it still all original springs/shocks? I have been quite happy with my stock 71's setup, stock leafs but with all new greasable bushings, shackles, pins, etc, and stock-height replacement 5125's. Maybe $600 total cost? My leafs were pretty rusty from sitting so long but they have free-d up after a bit of driving and getting flexed when wheeling.

Is it still all original springs/shocks? I have been quite happy with my stock 71's setup, stock leafs but with all new greasable bushings, shackles, pins, etc, and stock-height replacement 5125's. Maybe $600 total cost? My leafs were pretty rusty from sitting so long but they have free-d up after a bit of driving and getting flexed when wheeling.
Yeah looks to be all stock.
The front springs are flat. It needs shocks and bushings.
I was thinking of just replacing the front springs with the same stock height springs and do the same as you did. Pins,shackles,and bushings. The rears a good. The shocks are bad in the rear cause it bounces like a pogo stick on a big bump.

Yeah looks to be all stock.
The front springs are flat. It needs shocks and bushings.
I was thinking of just replacing the front springs with the same stock height springs and do the same as you did. Pins,shackles,and bushings. The rears a good. The shocks are bad in the rear cause it bounces like a pogo stick on a big bump.
It’s tough to find stock height springs, I have searched the Internet for months and not found a good stock height replacement, seems like everything is 2 inches. That being said in the 2 inch lift there are lots of options out there. There a custom shop that will make them for you at stock heights but they are a lot of money.

It’s tough to find stock height springs, I have searched the Internet for months and not found a good stock height replacement, seems like everything is 2 inches. That being said in the 2 inch lift there are lots of options out there. There a custom shop that will make them for you at stock heights but they are a lot of money.
Well I did find the front springs.
GeneralSprings.com carries stock height springs for the fj40 front and rear. 69 through 80.
SKU# 90-104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom