What did you do on your 70 series today? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4040A376-7E71-4463-AB17-6CDB00F3C795.jpeg

I guess someone submitted a photo of my truck from the relic run… cool surprise.

ULINE. $895.

Yes. Very nice work table. However, that was just one aspect of your shop revealed in the photo.
The white floor paint looks like it brightens up the shop while not readily showing dirt.
The foam insulation also must help moderate temperature extremes in the shop too.
Both are improvements that I need to make to my shop.
Kudos sir

Replaced the valve cover gasket and put a new 76 C tstat in my kzj78. I was amazed at how clean everything was under the valve cover. The 3fe fj80 I had before was much more dirty under the valve cover than this thing
View attachment 3021410
Hello
in my experience with 1kzte and its cooling
I can tell you that I have tried with the 3 thermostats, starting with the 82C one, which is the original that came for many markets, it does not work very well in high altitude areas (MASL) or on many slopes and dry and hot summers.

After that I found out and there are two more types, which were incorporating the most recent versions of that engine, 76C and 71C, I tried the 76 and it improved a lot, but in the summer it was noticeable, and now with the 71C, by far it is the best upgrade I've done, (I already changed the silicone oil to 12000 cst) I think I'll add a front fan too.

These engines generating a lot of heat due to the combustion pre-chambers, their indirect injection and the turbo.

Part Number
90916-03097 (82 C ~ 95 C)
90916-03119 (76 C ~ 90 C)
90916-03121 (71 C ~ 85 C)

Although these new mudflaps won't go on until I get my kaymar back on....I am glad they finally arrived. They took a long time for some reason. I wanted them to be a bit longer which is why I got these new ones.

Not sure why only one of my original ones has white lettering and the other one doesn't but that is how it was when I got the HZJ77.

flaps1.JPG

Hello
in my experience with 1kzte and its cooling
I can tell you that I have tried with the 3 thermostats, starting with the 82C one, which is the original that came for many markets, it does not work very well in high altitude areas (MASL) or on many slopes and dry and hot summers.

After that I found out and there are two more types, which were incorporating the most recent versions of that engine, 76C and 71C, I tried the 76 and it improved a lot, but in the summer it was noticeable, and now with the 71C, by far it is the best upgrade I've done, (I already changed the silicone oil to 12000 cst) I think I'll add a front fan too.

These engines generating a lot of heat due to the combustion pre-chambers, their indirect injection and the turbo.

Part Number
90916-03097 (82 C ~ 95 C)
90916-03119 (76 C ~ 90 C)
90916-03121 (71 C ~ 85 C)
Well Darn! I had no idea that I could get a 71C thermostat. Well that might have to be an upgrade sooner. I just put the 76C one in and at sea level it already seems to help keep the engine cooler. I can only imagine that the 71C would be much better.

Although these new mudflaps won't go on until I get my kaymar back on....I am glad they finally arrived. They took a long time for some reason. I wanted them to be a bit longer which is why I got these new ones.

Not sure why only one of my original ones has white lettering and the other one doesn't but that is how it was when I got the HZJ77.

View attachment 3025383

Painted/not painted is a part number substitution. Early examples are painted. Your plain flap was a replacement.

View attachment 3025383
Is the mudflap and extension one molded piece or does the extension attach in some way?
E3AE4E08-8AAF-42F5-BEDF-0AC7B4400026.jpeg

Is the mudflap and extension one molded piece or does the extension attach in some way?View attachment 3025739

It is one molded piece. Those are 76 series GXL flaps because they are also designed to mount on flares up on top. As I am sure you know the GXL is the higher end 76 series out of Australia. I also have some other mudflaps sitting here including the 76 series "workmate" mud flaps. Here is a pic of all three (Original OEM, GXL, and workmate flaps). Notice they are all designed to fit over the OEM side cladding. The only difference is that the "workmate" doesn't attach to flares being that the workmate doesn't have them at all.

The workmate flaps are slightly longer too.

The original HZJ77 flaps seem to be made of genuine real rubber and has a nice feel to them. The newer flaps are just plastic like. Something else to consider.

flaps6.JPG

It is one molded piece. Those are 76 series GXL flaps because they are also designed to mount on flares up on top. As I am sure you know the GXL is the higher end 76 series out of Australia. I also have some other mudflaps sitting here including the 76 series "workmate" mud flaps. Here is a pic of all three (Original OEM, GXL, and workmate flaps). Notice they are all designed to fit over the OEM side cladding. The only difference is that the "workmate" doesn't attach to flares being that the workmate doesn't have them at all.

The workmate flaps are slightly longer too.

The original HZJ77 flaps seem to be made of genuine real rubber and has a nice feel to them. The newer flaps are just plastic like. Something else to consider.

View attachment 3025743
Interesting …. Thanks

No problem. If you are looking for mudflaps that will work on a 77 series without flares AND no OEM cladding...then these will work with some slight modifications.

flaps5.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to go ahead and put the kaymar back on today since I had the time and all the materials needed (needed to stop stalling on it and waiting for extra pair of hands). Unlike the previous bumper I was using that only took 30 mins to install...the kaymar took a good part of my Sunday as it was not an easy solo job. I didn't put the swing outs back on yet at this time but looks pretty good already. Wiring had already been done before and it was just a simple plugin of connectors at this point. All light functions work. New mud flaps installed.

Just need to give it another bath now.

I now have real protection in the rear portion of the cruiser.

kaymar5.jpg

kaymar6.jpg

kaymar7.jpg

Took a short drive on Saturday.

This was at 1149:View attachment 3021068

And this was 1549, about 100 ft. down the track from the first shot...View attachment 3021071

Really need to get that 'new' winch I recently acquired rebuilt and installed.

Wife and friends had a good time, we all got a great workout, high-lift jack, two shovels and lots of juniper tree-trimmings ((natures Maxtrax, credit goes to my wife for that brilliant idea).

I didn't get any photos of the worst point, but at one time we were on the diffs, front and rear.
Pretty sure that's a grin on the face of that Troopy : )

Converted the amber marker lights to turn signals. (Trying to create the illusion that this is a modern vehicle). 😊
50C476E7-2D09-42B4-BB1A-4A30B0542EAE.jpeg

Cyclist will love you...I like being able to see that a car is about to 'right turn me' when I'm next to them.

Cyclist will love you...I like being able to see that a car is about to 'right turn me' when I'm next to them.
I was actually more concerned with the idiots distracted by their cell phones but it’s nice to know that cyclist will also benefit.

87B53346-83CD-43C9-A3B3-C1C1E679BAF1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom