Builds 1965 Seminole Red FJ45 SWB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Subsequent pulls were down considerably on torque. HP was only 100. Dyno guy looked nervous. Each pull got worse and worse, the harder we ran it.

Not sure what was going on, we packed up to go back to the shop, no idea if we had engine damage or a sticking brake caliper or something else.

The dyno runs were considerably gentler than the off-camera 5K flogging we had been doing during testing and break in. We had no idea what was going on because it didn’t sound any different, though one run almost sounded like a stumble or misfire.

The drive home from the shop added to the mystery. No loss of power.

We get to the shop and pull the plugs, expecting to see oil somewhere.

Nope, cleanest 2F plugs ever. These even saw a motor break-in and fresh Sniper self-tune, so I’d expect them to look sooty and rich.

5DF77540-8F08-4E37-97AE-436D56ECC50C.jpeg

We check the plug wires, distributor, cap. Comparing all to new specimens, and we don’t find anything.

We even did a compression test. 180 +/- 5 psi across the board. No problems there.

We put it back together and drive it. It seemed the same.

We do all notice a flat spot as you approach WOT. We got rid of most of it when we added timing earlier in the process. We had some rattling under 1800 rpm lugging in 3rd so we stopped adding timing, but nothing at high rpms.

In talking to the dyno guy, he saw nothing in the fuel logs that indicated anything was amiss Sniper-wise. He stressed the torque gains from computer timing control and asked if there’s anything tthrottle position related that affects timing. I mentioned the vac advance, but he said he does not have any experience with it to know how it affects it.

So I went down an internet rabbit hole, and when I came out, I theorized that the part throttle pulls were bad ass because they had more timing, but the full throttle pulls sucked because, at WOT, the manifold doesn’t build vacuum and we lose the extra advance of part throttle.

So we need more timing at WOT. Probably part throttle too. We just don’t need it down low, because we already heard a little rattling down there.

I run this by the dyno guy and he totally buys my theory. Sounds plausible.

We could fawk with the distributor and try to learn how to tune it or ask DUI to do it, but that could go on forever testing each change until it’s perfect.

Or, we could finally figure out how to control it with the computer and make changes on the fly.

Last edited:
TLDR: we need more timing to make maximum woopow, and we need the computer to control it. WOT pulls never activate vac advance, so never get off to a strong start. That is why the harder we tried, the worse it got.

I have been in that rabbit hole for a a few days now, and am pretty confident we’ll have it figured out sooner rather than later.

Looking at the curves, I feel like we should be over 200 ft-lbs of torque. It looks like it only dropped off when he let off the gas. If it stays flat a little longer, we should be 150+ hp at the wheels*.

*on this dyno. It is super easy to fudge dyno numbers and dyno-to-different-dyno comparisons aren’t always accurate. I use my old runs as controls

I’ve seen this video before but watched it again and took notes to try and understand what’s going on. This guy successfully computer controlled a large cap HEI with the Holley. That’s pretty much what a DUI is, which is what we’re running.

Distributors, specifically computer control, seems like voodoo magic. I’ve studied a few systems, but none talk Toyota. And there is nothing that allows you to use the DUI, which can be easily modified to work with the dumber older TBI systems. But there is nothing in between to bridge the technologies without having to figure it out.

So that’s what’s we’re doing. I’ve spent my kids college buying a bunch of different distributors and coil drivers and
CD boxes, and will lock myself in the shop to figure it out once all the parts show up

1C98C78E-1048-4784-AE2D-AFA3323483B9.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve seen this video before but watched it again and took notes to try and understand what’s going on. This guy successfully computer controlled a large cap HEI with the Holley. That’s pretty much what a DUI is, which is what we’re running.

Distributors, specifically computer control, seems like voodoo magic. I’ve studied a few systems, but none talk Toyota. And there is nothing that allows you to use the DUI, which can be easily modified to work with the dumber older TBI systems. But there is nothing in between to bridge the technologies without having to figure it out.

So that’s what’s we’re doing. I’ve spent my kids college buying a bunch of different distributors and coil drivers and
CD boxes, and will lock myself in the shop to figure it out once all the parts show up

View attachment 3005452

Doesn’t the Holley Hyperspark distributor do this? Assuming since an HEI works on F engines, there would be a compatable Hyperspark.

Doesn’t the Holley Hyperspark distributor do this? Assuming since an HEI works on F engines, there would be a compatable Hyperspark.

It’s the oil pump gear from my understanding that needs to be changed over to that dizzy to make it work on a 2F

It’s the oil pump gear from my understanding that needs to be changed over to that dizzy to make it work on a 2F
@zerotreedelta has done, or is planning to do this from what I recall? (using hyperspark distributor with sniper install) I'm sure Cam will come up with something great. Really awesome to watch you guys squeeze as much blood as you can out of these old rocks!

Last edited:
Wrong thread but how’s the dissy science coming?
Good actually. The 2F setup will be ready to test next week.

On this motor, we’re going to fire it up on vac advance for simplicity. Once we know everything is good, we will try to set this one up for computer control of the timing using the Toyota (carb) dizzy & coil.

Would you be able to use a 3FE distributor for the computer control advance?

Probably. The vac advance looks less complicated electrically, but I know the 3FE dizzy has been used with mega squirt & TBI systems. If we can get a signal that the Holley approves of, we’re golden.

Please figure out the 3fe dist for us plebians

Please figure out the 3fe dist for us plebians
I reluctantly agreed to allowing this truck to go BACK to Memphis before it comes home. It’s getting the finishing touches now while @wngrog is vacationing so it’s generally going to be ready soon. @FJ60Cam has a good plan and promised me no more than a few days.

One of my favorite photos of this truck was taken on the Pacific Ocean.

There was something about this photo that I kept coming back to that needed to happen

0E008958-6990-4DA3-B5F0-6EFFE765F1C1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom