Down in Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure what the going price on that diesel swap is, but it seems to me you'd be pretty close to buying a 1 Hz and getting a 60 for free... Unless there's other problems (or issues with a poorly done swap) that drag you down a money hole...

All the wisdom was posted before me. I'm just chiming in to ask how you maintained control over yourself?

Finally got round to seeing the 60 today.

It was a beautiful thing to behold ... until you got within two feet of it. The paint job was shocking @g-man you were right. It was not just Mexico dust, but overspray on everything, and looks like cheap ass paint sprayed directly over everything, door stoppers, tailgate handle, bare metal with chips and scratches, so it would need a proper respray. The body was solid though, small patches of surface rust seeping through the un-prepped rattle can paint, but gutters, seals, pillars all solid. Solid underneath.

The interior was a hot mess, but not unfixable. Needs new dash, new windscreen, centre console, and door cards. The engine, I have no idea if it was any good having no experience with these diesels, if i'm serious I will take a mechanic next time, but it pulled very nice, like a tractor with little to no braking lol. The *side* exhaust was hilarious, I'll add a photo. There was oil on parts underneath.

This guy has three other Land Cruisers and knows what they're worth down here, but is fairly deluded and thinks it's worth $12k with all the work needed. I will make an offer of half that, but it is definitely a long project at that.

It was really nice to be in a turbo diesel 60 series but concerned, especially in Mexico where this truck and motor are completely foreign (as am I) that it would be too much of a headache, almost impossible.

Value your thoughts and opinions, but i think my search in Mexico continues.

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6712.jpg

IMG_6718.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

From the few pictures you've posted, the undercarriage looks very solid, as does most of the body. And as others have said, that engine is the one everyone dreams of putting in their 60. For the right price and IF you can find a mechanic who can work on it, it's a good truck. Pretty much all spares can be ordered online now, depending on how well FedEx or DHL delivers in your ciudad.

Those few bits of body rust you posted are nothing. Check carefully the roof line around the drip ridge and around the cowl. I imagine you can get body work done less expensively there, but it's all relative.

If the engine swap and turbo were competently done, and the price is right, that's a great truck.

From the few pictures you've posted, the undercarriage looks very solid, as does most of the body. And as others have said, that engine is the one everyone dreams of putting in their 60. For the right price and IF you can find a mechanic who can work on it, it's a good truck. Pretty much all spares can be ordered online now, depending on how well FedEx or DHL delivers in your ciudad.

Those few bits of body rust you posted are nothing. Check carefully the roof line around the drip ridge and around the cowl. I imagine you can get body work done less expensively there, but it's all relative.

If the engine swap and turbo were competently done, and the price is right, that's a great truck.
Attached a few more pictures. It's hard to say if it was competently done, especially here in a tiny Mexican town an hour out of the city, but he loves Land Cruisers and has a 'family mechanic' whos done all the work to all his trucks.

For me, the body is great and interior is a project I can do, it's more about finding that willing mechanic in Mexico, and getting it to a place where I feel confident taking it out on and off road in the backcountry.

IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

It's leaking somewhere at the front of the engine. Maybe power steering. The transfer case is also leaking and probably needs attention. Looks pretty good under there otherwise just from those pics.

It's leaking somewhere at the front of the engine. Maybe power steering. The transfer case is also leaking and probably needs attention. Looks pretty good under there otherwise just from those pics.
Yes the transfer case would need a rebuild and the power steering was rough. Guessing this thing hasn't moved much lately. Knuckles I would be confident in doing myself after watching hours of tutorials online.

If you can do knuckles you can do a lot of other stuff. Most of this stuff is easy. A lot of it is just physically taxing.

How do you bend a sway bar link? If he was doing serious rock crawling the long axle bolts would be bent up. They need to be trimmed. the oil breather hose on the front axle is hanging down and needs to be mounted back up on the frame. The plug on the side of the t-case besides leaking oil is missing the wires...it's a sender switch to let the 4x4 light come on. The transfer case shifter looks like a piece of bar stock? Not a normal shifter.
What is going on with the hose going into the side of the oil pan? A diesel thing??? Obviously the truck has some issues, but it looks solid. And if the diesel engine runs good it may still be worth it.

The hose to the oil pan is the oil return line from the add-on turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom