LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are marked by the manufacturer as compatible . . . I suggest doing your own due diligence though

They are marked by the manufacturer as compatible . . . I suggest doing your own due diligence though
Thanks. My 2008 LX sprang a leak.

System drained.

I need to replace some lines. I have 5 L, two cans of Toyota OEM. SEEMS i will need more?

Posted a dashboard for OBD Fusion to monitor AHC. Cross-posting here so people can try it out.

1641964415546.png

2f803488-3ff2-48ea-908e-96f887f3f1a1-png.2890578

Last edited:
Some initial thoughts:

The Front and Rear Damper Step fields have breakouts for the left and right, as well as the high rate spring valve, but in driving around for 30 min or so, i never saw the left and right have a different value, so i decided to remove the second PID for each setting to save on refresh rate and duplicate data.

I was surprised how often the pump turns on. It's not "all the time" but it definitely makes fine adjustments from time to time. It also uses the pump to raise back up after lowering for highway speed. I wish the refresh rate was faster, i wonder how many changes happen in under 1-2 seconds. The screen refresh is definitely in that 2-3 second range, so it's easily possible the polling can miss an action.

So far I've seen the high spring rate (No. 2 Gas Chamber) turns on during hard braking and during turns.

Damping rate. I'm not 100% sure, but i believe the higher the number the higher the damping force. It moved around quite a bit while driving. And changing the comfort/sport switch definitely changes the values.

I haven't seen the gate valves open much, but they definitely did open once when I was slowing to a stop light. That pretty much verifies that the truck expects the pressure in the left and right sides of the same axle to be the same pressure. I don't' know if the gate valves triggered because of my slowing down, or if they just open and close periodically.

That's all the interesting stuff I've seen for now. Obviously, I need to fix my RR height adjust senor arm, it does stay consistently about 20-25mm higher than the other 3, no matter what mode I'm in.. The truck doesn't really seem to care though.

Front Adjust Value
Rear Adjust Value
PID Value
Height Position
(mm)​
(in)​
(mm)​
(in)​
Extra HI
70​
2.8​
80​
3.1​
?
HI
50​
2​
60​
2.4​
L4 Range HI
25​
1​
25​
1​
Normal
0​
0​
0​
0​
High Speed LO
-20​
-0.8​
-15​
-0.6​
LO
-60​
-2.4​
-40​
-1.6​

I had to go break out the manual, "L4 Range HI" only happens when transfer case in low range and AHC is in "HI" and truck is traveling over 25 mph.

Extra HI seems to not be able to be manually triggered. You have to have a wheel free wheeling in 4 Lo and in Hi.

Last edited:
@lx200inAR

thank you for all the information. Did you get around to changing out your accumulators?
I haven't yet, still sitting on the shelf. I did a another bleed and found there was a bunch of air in one of my lines. I still think i may need to do that one more time. When i bought my truck, my globes were super clean, at the time i just assumed maybe that dirt didn't stick to them well or something, but now that they are dirty, I'm wondering if they hadn't been replaced pretty recently. I will probably still replace them this year, but I can feel a difference between the different modes and for the most part my truck runs pretty smoothly, so it's possible they've been replaced. I wish they had a date stamp or something on them.

More notes, figured out the PID value for high speed HI mode. Just Extra HI left. I updated the chart on the earlier post.

After a few more drives between home and the office. I’m fairly certain the lower the step value the less dampening. It’s surprising how often the steps change (every few seconds really). My commute is generally low speed <35mph.

at these speeds damping is as follows.

Modedriving straitcurves
Normal3-58-11
Sport8-1113-14
Comfort1-2 (mostly 1)5-7 (Sharp Curves)

when you come to a stop, it always switches back to 8.

normal and comfort are pretty close in a strait line, which is probably why sometimes it’s questionable that there is a difference. I think at low speed, the truck definitely tries to get as comfy as it can in normal and comfort mode.

the truck also opened both gate valves again while driving. This time I don’t think I was braking. I had just recently switched to comfort mode. I also may have been playing with the modes the first time. It will be interesting to see if I can recreate that.

the truck made a quick adjustment at a stop sign that they like to do. It happened too fast for the app to catch it.

Edited:
I don’t think the truck uses the accumulator to get from LO to N, but I wouldn’t call that 100% confirmed. Probably over theorizing here, but according to manual the accumulator is charged at 7-8 mPa on the gas spring side. Have to double check the exact number. Maybe the ecu doesn’t want to dump that much pressure into the system starting from L where it would be a lot lower.

The height seems to move a lot, but I have to remind myself that 6mm is a quarter inch.

Last edited:
More notes, figured out the PID value for high speed HI mode. Just Extra HI left. I updated the chart on the earlier post.

After a few more drives between home and the office. I’m fairly certain the lower the step value the less dampening. It’s surprising how often the steps change (every few seconds really). My commute is generally low speed <35mph.

at these speeds damping is as follows.

Modedriving straitcurves
Normal3-58-11
Sport8-1113-14
Comfort1-2 (mostly 1)5-7

when you come to a stop, it always switches back to 8.

normal and comfort are pretty close in a strait line, which is probably why sometimes it’s questionable that there is a difference. I think at low speed, the truck definitely tries to get as comfy as it can in normal and comfort mode.

the truck also opened both gate valves again while driving. This time I don’t think I was braking. I had just recently switched to comfort mode. I also may have been playing with the modes the first time. It will be interesting to see if I can recreate that.

the truck made a quick adjustment at a stop sign that they like to do. It happened too fast for the app to catch it.

I don’t think the truck uses the accumulator to get from LO to N, but I wouldn’t call that 100% confirmed. Probably over theorizing here, but according to manual the accumulator is charged at 7-8 mPa on the gas spring side. Have to double check the exact number. Maybe the ecu doesn’t want to dump that much pressure into the system starting from L where it would be a lot lower.

The height seems to move a lot, but I have to remind myself that 6mm is a quarter inch.
I saw in a obd fusion communication menu that it can be set for fast response, auto connect etc. have you tried this to up your response time?

38CEFF2C-FFDF-4D83-BE5E-F485E146849E.png

I changed it early on and didn’t see a difference. I don’t know if there is any logging that shows how fast it’s reading PIDs. I’ve seen in other forums people actually throw out scan rates, I’m not sure what they are using to determine that.

I drove to work in comfort mode and did a L to N this AM. The accumulator did open this time, so it must have just been a fluke that I didn't see it turn on the other time(s). Under 35mph, comfort mode basically just sits at the lowest dampening step (1). Even in turns it doesn't really move, unless you are making a sharp turn at the high end of that speed range.

Just got my accumulators from jdmplanet (eBay). Are there any physical differences between the front vs rear? I didn't see any really besides the etched serial number format.

Mine had the number on the holographic square parts box. They look very similar.

I ordered and received 2 cans of AHC fluid from partsouq since I couldn't find it anywhere else. Attached to the box was the Safety Data Sheet, I figured some might find it useful? It shows composition of the AHC fluid.

Attachments

• AHC-SafetyDataSheet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
I'm looking to buy a 2013-2015 LX, probably from Carmax because reasons. Do you think buying their aftermarket extended warranty would be a good move, considering the AHC or no? . I have just about used up all my wife's patience with my DIY auto maintenance, so if any AHC service is done, I'd probably go to a mechanic.

I have a 2008 LC so I'm pretty familiar with the things that seem to go boom in the 100-120k range (old style radiator cracking, alternator (or was it starter?)and water pump and pulley, etc. Those can be pretty spendy, too, IIRC.

TIA!

I'm looking to buy a 2013-2015 LX, probably from Carmax because reasons. Do you think buying their aftermarket extended warranty would be a good move, considering the AHC or no? . I have just about used up all my wife's patience with my DIY auto maintenance, so if any AHC service is done, I'd probably go to a mechanic.

I have a 2008 LC so I'm pretty familiar with the things that seem to go boom in the 100-120k range (old style radiator cracking, alternator (or was it starter?)and water pump and pulley, etc. Those can be pretty spendy, too, IIRC.

TIA!
Tough call. I don't think people's answers will factor in the vehicle most likely. I'm not a warranty guy, so I doubt I would buy one (for historical proof, I did not get one on my 100k mile 2010 13 months ago). But some people are, and so they would. And I suspect any advice given here will be along those lines rather than whether you should get a warranty on a LX.

Point of this thread is to serve as a repository for 200-series AHC info, including LX570 and LC equipped with AHC (in select global markets).

Let’s begin with a theory. The 200-series LC (without AHC) and the LX570 (or LC with AHC) are like New York & LA. LC “purists” are like New Yorkers, going on and on about the virtues of “tried and true” spring setups, but in order to enjoy their springs, they seem to have a need to talk some smack about LA/LX with its “over-the-top” hydraulic suspension, “unnecessarily complex” design, and high “cost of repair.” New Yorkers, in other words, make a hobby out of kicking LA in the shins.

LA folks, on the other hand, try to emphasize how similar LA is to New York — how similar the capability of the LX570 is to the capability of the non-AHC “cruiser” — we all know this anxiety LX folks have when they pull up next to a Land Cruiser. “One is a proper ‘off-road tank;’ the other is a ‘mall cruiser.’” But once LA/LX folks get over their anxiety, you don’t really hear a lot of “New York” bashing. There are differences and similarities, but LX folks are like Angelenos, they seem to be out enjoying their AHC-levitating rigs. After a ten-year model run, there don’t seem to be the catastrophic tales of woe we all imagined were “just around the corner”.

With a decade under its belt, it may be time to admit that the LX570 AHC system is just brilliantly engineered and built, working well across a dizzying range of climates, terrains, and rig stresses.

Below are some links to tech basics (including excellent schematics and repair guides). There is far too much new terminology and technical jargon to try to do anything like a “glossary” on AHC parts, and there’s been some confusion even about what to call the shocks/struts on the LX, given that they are hydraulic and come with so-called “actuators” — so rather than do that, what I learned is that it’s just easier to start familiarizing yourself with the diagrams and peeking under the running boards, to get a sense of how this part of the machine is supposed to work:

REAR SUSPENSION REAR SUSPENSION: REAR SHOCK ABSORBER: INSTALLATION (2008 LX570) (courtesy of another thread on this forum, can’t remember which)

There are a few links I’ll need to look around for, and will post as comments to this thread. There’s a 40-page .pdf floating around somewhere that attempts to explain the inner workings of the AHC, and it’s dense stuff. Some of the most candid assessments by mudders are those that are from folks with engineering backgrounds and so on, who write that’s basically, this stuff is “over our heads.” A lot of that probably has to do with the electrical engineering / coding that runs the whole system, specifically auto-leveling programs, load-balancing programs, traction-control programs, etc. It’s complex machinery, like a top-of-the-line Seiko watch.

Like that Seiko watch, what we all expect from the AHC is smooth & consistent operation. That only comes with time and trust in a particular rig after progressively rougher exploitation. In a separate comment, I’ll share some of the things I did in order to build up trust in the suspension components, and it’d be valuable to hear advice from mudders who bought into the 200-series AHC trip, especially when buying used —

1. How would you recommend prospective buyers test the system during their pre-purchase inspections?
  2. What are good post-purchase “preventative maintenance” suggestions for folks who are new to 200-series AHC?
  3. What are absolute “No-No” suggestions, in other words, mistakes you might have made that you want others to avoid making.
  4. Etc.
Below is a schematic that shows fluid leak weak spots or “junction spots” — whatever you want to call it, but areas that Toyota mechanics identified on a schematic, so probably a good starting point for visual inspection purposes.

If the AHC-equipped rig you’re looking to buy is leaking suspension fluid from these spots, chances are, you’ll be learning a LOT about hydraulic suspensions in the coming months/years. For most folks, this will mean “run!” For others, it can signal opportunity.

View attachment 1677630
Can someone post the link for this screen shot?

Not sure what you are looking for, but if it's a link to the first post of this thread, then here it is.

You can get the link to any thread hitting the first of the icons (for "share this post") at the top right corner of the post. Or just right click over the post number and save that link.

Not sure what you are looking for, but if it's a link to the first post of this thread, then here it is.

You can get the link to any thread hitting the first of the icons (for "share this post") at the top right corner of the post. Or just right click over the post number and save that link.
Thank you. I was specifically looking for a link to the first image in the first post on this thread that looks like it was from a site autocats.ws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom