LX 570 Custom Springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@1world1love do you still have the removed OEM springs from the rear? If so can you throw some weights on them and determine the spring rate?

@1world1love do you still have the removed OEM springs from the rear? If so can you throw some weights on them and determine the spring rate?

I do, but I am not sure I have enough weight laying around. I may find a local place and drop them off. It may be worth a few bucks to have a definitive answer.

I do, but I am not sure I have enough weight laying around. I may find a local place and drop them off. It may be worth a few bucks to have a definitive answer.
If you can stand on them (like stilts) and measure compressed spring length and post your body weight and initial spring length, I can take it from there :)

If you can stand on them (like stilts) and measure compressed spring length and post your body weight and initial spring length, I can take it from there :)
Video or it did’t happen!

I think you are not considering all the factors here; for instance:

- I have the coordination of a newborn giraffe that has ingested a liter of Jack Daniels
- The right side of my body weighs 10% more than the left
- Since I usually travel by stilts, it may be redundant
- Pondering the logistics of this makes me curl up in the fetal position and scream like a banshee

So I am installing TrailTamer springs and I ran into some difficulty.
The mounting cap that goes on top of the spring is a tad larger in diameter. It fits the stock springs nice a flush, but it is slightly large for the new springs.
@1world1love did you have this issue? I suppose once it is in place the weight of vehicle may push it in, but due the slight gap I am having a hard time inserting the spring Into the vehicle. I would like to have it sit flush before inserting it

Here are pictures of driver side stock and the new spring.
20220128_152511.jpg
20220128_160759.jpg

So I am installing TrailTamer springs and I ran into some difficulty.
The mounting cap that goes on top of the spring is a tad larger in diameter. It fits the stock springs nice a flush, but it is slightly large for the new springs.
@1world1love did you have this issue? I suppose once it is in place the weight of vehicle may push it in, but due the slight gap I am having a hard time inserting the spring Into the vehicle. I would like to have it sit flush before inserting it

Here are pictures of driver side stock and the new spring.

Yeah, I believe the diameter is just slightly smaller. In full disclosure, I had a guy at a local shop help with mine and when I noticed this I started freaking out a little but he just used a little white grease and it took a bit of effort but they seated.

Yeah, I believe the diameter is just slightly smaller. In full disclosure, I had a guy at a local shop help with mine and when I noticed this I started freaking out a little but he just used a little white grease and it took a bit of effort but they seated.
Ic. White grease it is then. Wish me luck because I was freaking out a little. I have a 1500 miles round trip starting tomorrow so I wanted to get it installed and tested during a long trip.

Ic. White grease it is then. Wish me luck because I was freaking out a little. I have a 1500 miles round trip starting tomorrow so I wanted to get it installed and tested during a long trip.

Good luck. Of you can get the springs in then they will naturally seat, but it is a task. I should also mention that I immediately had my alignment checked and it was spot on, and you will probably be fine too, but there is a chance that you may need an adjustment at some point.

Good luck. Of you can get the springs in then they will naturally seat, but it is a task. I should also mention that I immediately had my alignment checked and it was spot on, and you will probably be fine too, but there is a chance that you may need an adjustment at some point.
This is how I got it to sit. It worked for driver side.
Did not for passenger side. May be its too new.
I suspect as spring compresses, it should slightly increase the radius and with compression it should go in. I just hope it won't crack the plastic.
20220128_184517.jpg

This is how I got it to sit. It worked for driver side.
Did not for passenger side. May be its too new.
I suspect as spring compresses, it should slightly increase the radius and with compression it should go in. I just hope it won't crack the plastic.
View attachment 2908174

Weird. Mine was tight but it fit. Are you in a cold shop? It was 95 degrees when I installed mine. Maybe contracting slightly in the cold? Maybe a combination of tolerances plus the cold?

Weird. Mine was tight but it fit. Are you in a cold shop? It was 95 degrees when I installed mine. Maybe contracting slightly in the cold? Maybe a combination of tolerances plus the cold?
Just finished installing. It was like 50 degrees in the garage so that may be the reason why it was so much harder. This is a new vehicle so may be the rubber mount was not as pliable. Combination of both I suppose.

Just went for a 20 mile test drive. It drives really nicely
It's not harsh at all. It does not bounce as much as did before and seem to corner better as well. I am very pleased.

AHC seem to operate quicker to go to H, but I will have to test some more.
Going to L did take longer, but it did reach to L. I don't use L, unless I need to get into a garage with lower ceiling.

Overall I am very pleased so far. Tomorrow I will be going for a 10 hour drive through some twisties over mountains so that will be a test. I will have to take it offroad to see how it handles there, but I think it will do fine.

@1world1love thank you for the recommendation. This has worked rather well.

Last edited:
@daeojkim any chance you can measure the OEM LX570 spring rate?
I have oem lx570 coils in my garage…2021 fronts (which are a different part number than 2015 and older I think) and an oem left rear spring…getting them to stand still while I stack weights on top to measure how far they compress is difficult. Is there a trick or process to make it happen so I can measure spring rate?

I have oem lx570 coils in my garage…2021 fronts (which are a different part number than 2015 and older I think) and an oem left rear spring…getting them to stand still while I stack weights on top to measure how far they compress is difficult. Is there a trick or process to make it happen so I can measure spring rate?
Could you use a 5 gal bucket to keep the weights/spring mostly aligned vertically?

What about two nesting plastic trash cans, like kitchen height/size? Put the spring in the bottom one, and fill the top one with known volumes of water until the spring compresses 1" or 2". Then we can calculate the water weight from the water volume. Can mark the compression on the top can (mark start and end). The compresed length can be arbitrary, as it should be pretty constant to the mass added.

What about two nesting plastic trash cans, like kitchen height/size? Put the spring in the bottom one, and fill the top one with known volumes of water until the spring compresses 1" or 2". Then we can calculate the water weight from the water volume. Can mark the compression on the top can (mark start and end). The compresed length can be arbitrary, as it should be pretty constant to the mass added.
Alright, get out your abacus…
My 202.7lbs compressed this stock (218k mile) rear LX coil 1 15/16”
E7E8FF27-6D96-4C24-B097-DBA25ABF8849.jpeg
979CC857-1C1E-4C5A-85D4-B1681B3029B7.jpeg

Practically 200lbs & 2” and definitely some room for error in my little foot attached permanent marker 🤪 but hopefully something to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom