Fed Up with the Nonsense LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, I’m new to the 200 Series, more inclusively, the LX570. I purchased this vehicle with 130K miles. The vehicle revealed the common failures (with estimate) that all of these face:

1. ML Amplifier Failure - $2,000
2. Heat Exchange/Valley Plate Leak -$1,200
3. Timing & Valve Cover Leaks - $2,400

Tell me if I’m wrong, but every Toyota/Lexus 5.7 owner has experienced at least one of these engine issues, and quite a few LX570 owners have experienced the amp failure. Since these are said to be common failure items and I’ve also experienced them personally, I decided to call Lexus Corporate for reimbursement. The case manager and supervisor had nothing to offer and basically told me tough luck.

So I think Toyota/Lexus needs to know from the rest of us. If you’ve experienced the failure of common items on both Toyota/Lexus 200 series, please voice it here and call corporate to start a case. It will take everyone who’s experienced an issue calling in and voicing it, which will help all of us in the long-run. Either the repairs will be free, recalled or reimbursed. If you think I’m wrong, ooh well, but a vehicle with less than 150K shouldn’t have these issues, especially considering Toyota/Lexus fixed them in later models.

Alright, I’m new to the 200 Series, more inclusively, the LX570. I purchased this vehicle with 130K miles. The vehicle revealed the common failures (with estimate) that all of these face:

Tell me if I’m wrong, but every Toyota/Lexus 5.7 owner has experienced at least one of these engine issues, and quite a few LX570 owners have experienced the amp failure. Since these are said to be common failure items and I’ve also experienced them personally, I decided to call Lexus Corporate for reimbursement. The case manager and supervisor had nothing to offer and basically told me tough luck.

So I think Toyota/Lexus needs to know from the rest of us. If you’ve experienced the failure of common items on both Toyota/Lexus 200 series, please voice it here and call corporate to start a case. It will take everyone who’s experienced an issue calling in and voicing it, which will help all of us in the long-run. Either the repairs will be free, recalled or reimbursed. If you think I’m wrong, ooh well, but a vehicle with less than 150K shouldn’t have these issues, especially considering Toyota/Lexus fixed them in later models.

You are wrong.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but in reality, very few have experienced any of those issues.

They are common, but only when you are considering all possible failures. Only a small percentage experience any of those, but because so few major issues exist, these are amplified (pun intended).

1) There may be a few on this forum

2) There are more of these in the 200 series than 1, but still a small percentage

3) This is not common at all. Maybe a couple that I've heard of.

But consider this.

If you repair each of these at a cost of $5,600, then those are very likely the only repairs you and your children will ever need to do on this vehicle.

Just my 2 cents.

Ever own a Ford with 130k?

I've not had any of these failures. I've also had several Fords with over 130K with little to no issues. Neglect and bad mechanics are the cause of most people's vehicle problems. Land cruisers and Toyotas in general are good cars, but everything else on the road is not a piece of crap.

I've not had any of these failures. I've also had several Fords with over 130K with little to no issues. Neglect and bad mechanics are the cause of most people's vehicle problems. Land cruisers and Toyotas in general are good cars, but everything else on the road is not a piece of crap.
I had an F150 5.0 with 130K and it ran just fine.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but in reality, very few have experienced any of those issues.

They are common, but only when you are considering all possible failures. Only a small percentage experience any of those, but because so few major issues exist, these are amplified (pun intended).

1) There may be a few on this forum

2) There are more of these in the 200 series than 1, but still a small percentage

3) This is not common at all. Maybe a couple that I've heard of.

But consider this.

If you repair each of these at a cost of $5,600, then those are very likely the only repairs you and your children will ever need to do on this vehicle.

Just my 2 cents.

Ever own a Ford with 130k?
True, I'm just a little frustrated of course. I'm sure they're fine, but I will eventually sell this one and move on to an LC or Raptor.

I totally understand you’re frustrated, and I absolutely would be myself. The reality is sometimes the 200 requires very costly repairs, and I’ve been lucky to buy a few either young enough to avoid the issues or old enough to have them addressed. I’ve had 5 200s now, and all have been tremendously reliable…but a couple had quite expensive “rare” repairs including a timing chain tensioner and a valley plate leak. The problem is labor is extremely expensive for these repairs, so if you get stuck with doing one in your ownership period it really stings.

My 13 had a ridiculous bill at the dealer just before I bought it to replace thousands of dollars of parts (KDSS pump and LCAs with many other things) to simply install a strut spacer, and after a few months of ownership I heard a bad timing chain tensioner noise that was over $3k to fix. I had a warranty, but it only covered a fraction of the cost because I wanted OEM parts and everything that was actually necessary to it reliable for years. None of the repairs were absolutely necessary, but I feel extremely confident in it long term now they (along with the radiator and water pump) have been addressed. Around 90-120k there is expensive maintenance that needs to be done on the 200, and if you buy one in that space without common repairs done 200 ownership can sour quickly. All that said, I’ve only had one that cost me anything besides mods and gas to own, so I’m not upset in the least and treat ours like family.

I had an amp fail. It was a pita. But with some work have replaced with much upgraded SQ and SPL. Even with messing up as I discovered the way I don’t have $2k in it.
There is also an android solution on Ali express which includes a replacement amp, it was around $1000

Last edited:
I had an amp fail. It was a pita. But with some work have replaced with much upgraded SQ and SPL. Even with messing up as I discovered the way I don’t have $2k in it.
There is also an android solution on Ali express which includes a replacement amp, it was around $1000
I might look into that.

I haven’t had any of those issues and I now have 213k miles, but I can say my experience with Lexus customer service was abysmal. Each person individually was courteous but their ability to resolve anything, follow through or stick with the customer until resolution was surprisingly bad for a company that would have such a high standard in Japan.

Having been in customer service roles in one way or another for over two decades it is really frustrating to experience when you know how much better it could be w/o necessarily costing them significantly more money. But my experience with almost every form of customer service these days is all downhill 🥺

"The vehicle revealed the common failures (with estimate) that all of these face:"

I have a few questions:

How did the vehicle "reveal" these failures?

Let me guess, you bought the vehicle, then took it to a dealership and told them to "look it over", and they came back and told you it needed all this.

Or did you start experiencing problems with the vehicle and took it in?

Are those estimates from a dealership or an independent repair shop?

Not in my experience. I've had three Toyotas with this same engine and none of those failures.

Have an LS460 that experienced the valley plate (can be found on 4.6 and 5.7) and valve cover issues among other specific to LS (LCAs as example) fairly early in its life. At the time the vehicles warranty just expired. I didn't particularly expect Lexus to cover the repairs, but it would have been a nice gesture. Ended up taking it to a local indy for the repairs. That said, with your vehicle having 130k miles and considering its age at this point, I wouldn't hold my breath of any good will or recall and proceed with repairs out of pocket.

That sucks and i agree we need to be vocal on things like this. I just can’t corroborate the frequency of these issues nor do i know the cause.

BTW I also had horrible treatment with lexus corporate despite all the family being in the brand.

Its also important for people to know the 200 does have its slight issues but more importantly the repairs are costly and most parts are pricey.

Also a good point that T is not the only reliable brand. Problem with others is just their consistency. I watch some car wizard vids on YT and he will outline huge differences in one model year updates on many platforms.

Wow. Lots of saltiness over the Ford comment. But that actually reinforces the crux of the issue - Yes, there are some Toyotas that experience expensive failures, and there are some Fords that don't. In both cases, this is the exception and not the rule.

Its also the case that lexus dealers hose you on most things. I dont know how it be at Toyota. Glad i am learning how to do the work myself for the life of my truck. Hope i dont have too much trouble.

Sorry OP that you were the lucky individual to experience all 3 of those costly repairs. Definitely doesn't get off on the right foot. Wonder if this example has ever had an overheating event in its history to get the two leak areas.

It won't make things right but the reality is that these are pricey and complex rigs, in the $80-100k vicinity new. With commensurate repairs costs. I agree with @1world1love , that this perhaps will give you a new baseline for those parts. Maybe I'll risk saying this wouldn't a throw good money after bad in that you now have a better known quality, and hopefully she'll treat you right going forward. Anecdotal, but my buddy just lemon'd a Ford Raptor. Generally odds are not favored there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom