Builds Chef's FJ45LWB-PU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This takes us to the part of the story where we begin to wire this sucker.. 78 drivetrain in a 64 truck. 78 column and partial firewall graft. I want to keep the old school look but some newer tech.. Plan is older style heater and blower, newer column that functions with newer ignition system, Old school switches for lights, wipers but add hazards. It really seemed easier to just use a 78 ish harness that we had part of. SO.. Wires, wires and more wires.. Tracing out everything that Alan and I prob cut off this harness from a truck we probably pulled out of a ditch somewhere years ago. My dog was the smartest, she just found a cool spot under the trailer we were working on and took a nap..

10.10. 10.jpg

10.10 12.jpg

10.11 10.jpg

10.10 11.jpg

10.10 5.jpg

little more of the brake running, prop valve mount etc. Some of the brake line mounts came off other toyotas in the junkyard. Some are stainless mounts i used on my 45 and had extras. Whole truck was plumbed front to back, each axle, and the clutch.

View attachment 2463376

View attachment 2463377

View attachment 2463378

View attachment 2463379
A tech note... the proportioning valve is metric double bubble threaded; however, you have to an extra long threaded fitting. Luckily, I had just done this last year, so had a couple extra in the kit.

Later in the evening we just decided to go ahead and see if we could run the rear wiring section. This truck has later tail lights grafted into it. FJ40 taillights which add reverse and make finding a replacement lens easier. Lengthen and rewire the rear lights, add an extra ground wire to the mix. I will insure there is a 4pin trailer socket in the back as well for Alan's M416.

10.10 7.jpg

10.10 9.jpg

taillights2.jpg

10.10 8.jpg

taillights1.jpg

Best part was just hanging out, having a couple drinks and chatting. It really is about the friends and fun.. No way would this have been possible without the team..
Last picture is the marked off completed list. As fast as i could add things they were knocking them off the list.

10.9 4.jpg

10.9 5.jpg

10.11 1.jpg

10.11 3.jpg

Now, did anyone wonder what all got plated? The adjusters for the headlights take a round plastic retainer for the older buckets. I couldn't find them anywhere. A guy in the Netherlands reproduces them. Ordered enough for 3 sets of headlights. Started assembling Chef's headlight buckets while I watched a little football Sunday afternoon. Need to polish up the trim ring and get a few new screws but basically assembled. I can assemble on my next run out.

10.12 2.jpg

10.12 6.jpg

10.12 5.jpg

10.12 1 .jpg

10.12 3.jpg

Now, did anyone wonder what all got plated? The adjusters for the headlights take a round plastic retainer for the older buckets. I couldn't find them anywhere. A guy in the Netherlands reproduces them. Ordered enough for 3 sets of headlights. Started assembling Chef's headlight buckets while I watched a little football Sunday afternoon. Need to polish up the trim ring and get a few new screws but basically assembled. I can assemble on my next run out.

View attachment 2463435

View attachment 2463438

View attachment 2463439

View attachment 2463440

View attachment 2463443
Was questioning the parts that you used as I saw them advertised on the Bay. I will use them now that I see you have used them on your 45. Going to plate mine as you did, looks great, BTW did you get the screws from also?

I didn't get the screws from them. I wire wheeled what i had added a little antiseize and am going to run em.. In hindsight i should have taken my adjuster screws to the platers or found new. They are a little special but i imagine most toyotas would have the same screw. they have a fixed spot for the bucket to ride in while it is adjusted. I did get one set of springs from them but that was only because i couldn't order 3 sets of just the plastic inserts. they did arrive in approx a week!

I didn't get the screws from them. I wire wheeled what i had added a little antiseize and am going to run em.. In hindsight i should have taken my adjuster screws to the platers or found new. They are a little special but i imagine most toyotas would have the same screw. they have a fixed spot for the bucket to ride in while it is adjusted. I did get one set of springs from them but that was only because i couldn't order 3 sets of just the plastic inserts. they did arrive in approx a week!

TNX for the quick reply with an explanation, I guess I will take my screws to the plater also and find some others as needed. I have 2 projects and an extra front that to be complete needs a light set up.
Your project is coming along nicely good job.

Hey Nolan; and/or others....

How are you insuring something like this?
I have no idea what completed valuation should be? $40,000? I haven't looked for a long time.
And who did you use?

Haggardy

Chef's project has a hand me down. Look close and I used one seafoam green ring and one yellow. The other yellow might need to be plated. The screws that secure the back to the buckets and go thru the bib are m5x.9 avail at bellmetric. I am pointing it out with my screwdriver. The replacements came out of the bag at the bottom.

20201012_192507.jpg

20201012_200533.jpg

20201012_200537.jpg

Last edited:
Steve and I got a $290/a year quote from Grundy for a claimed value of $50,000. I may up that valuation once it runs; I really have no idea what anything is worth anymore.
It'll be really well done whern it's done, but it's not stock either.

gathering parts to have everything talk gets a bit difficult. Didn't seem to have a FJ45 hard coolant line to go thru the firewall and need a heater coolant valve still. Part of the puzzle to route coolant thru the firewall to the in cab heater arrived from Old Air. I used a larger version of the same thing on my firewall, i knew where to order it and i know it should work. Newer fuel sending unit arrived to speak to the newer gauge cluster. And some other bits to get us going from Kurt. we needed a new Tie Rod, new drag link at the pitman arm, New voltage regulator, new temp sender to speak to the cluster. Some replacement shock bushings to go on Alan's FJ40 as well.

Heaterbulkhead.jpg

Fuelsending.jpg

Cruiseroutfit10.192020.jpg

need me to dig in the parts bin for anything?

and when are you doing next batch of plating?

Not yet but thank you for asking. IF you do happen to see one of these, please set aside. Apparently neither of my cabs came with one. I went thru my old pictures to see if i was crazy or if i had lost it. Not a big deal, but I'm sure Jenn will thank someone if i get one installed.

dashbar.jpg

Looked at Ed's, and 78 era normally had a dash pad covering the holes for the grab bar.. But i'll look Sat in the boneyard behind the garage. I do Not believe we have one. I'll prob grab one or both of those firewalls to scavenge off anyway. I figure if i've gone thru your garage and my garage that neither of us have it.

Wheels are in paint. Need a few days to cure then new tires can go on next week.

20201021_182937.jpg

1P3SliA9-516865264.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom