#4, 60 series root beer brown, body work and paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once you get these down to bare metal how much time can you let them sit before they start to rust in the air? Or is your humid so low that it’s not something you have to worry to much about? Also do you strip the inside of the hood down too and if so do you have to media blast to get in all the folds and structure under there?

thanks
Someone else mentioned this also. No humidity here, my shop is in the desert. My wife has an 80 series here that she stripped down. Its parked in front of the swamp cooler and has been there for 3 weeks bare metal. Not a spot of rust anywhere. Before I spray epoxy primer, I will sand the exterior surfaces that are bare metal which will remove any surface rust that I may not see. Also, I have some etching chemicals that removes surface rust if I feel the need.

The underneath side of the hood will be sanded, no need to strip that in this case. In door jamb and hood areas like you are referring to, I use “scuff pads” that look similar to the green scrub pads used in kitchens. These are gray and are close to 400 grit. With the scuff pad, I sand with water and a scuff cream that cleans at the same time too. It really is the best way to sand into all the hard to reach/odd shaped areas.

That thing kicks ass!
I love it! It is a slow process with this tool, and experimenting with the different drums has been educational. There is so many small rust spots under the paint of all these vehicles. Stripping the paint to bare metal reveals all the rust, then this sander removes most of the rust. I am really liking this process.

Someone else mentioned this also. No humidity here, my shop is in the desert. My wife has an 80 series here that she stripped down. Its parked in front of the swamp cooler and has been there for 3 weeks bare metal. Not a spot of rust anywhere. Before I spray epoxy primer, I will sand the exterior surfaces that are bare metal which will remove any surface rust that I may not see. Also, I have some etching chemicals that removes surface rust if I feel the need.

The underneath side of the hood will be sanded, no need to strip that in this case. In door jamb and hood areas like you are referring to, I use “scuff pads” that look similar to the green scrub pads used in kitchens. These are gray and are close to 400 grit. With the scuff pad, I sand with water and a scuff cream that cleans at the same time too. It really is the best way to sand into all the hard to reach/odd shaped areas.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Cut the lower doors off for the new skins today. Lots of rust hiding in there. The inner door lip on the bottom is basically gone on the front doors. Will have to rebuild that. They are ready for sand blasting.

724B633E-C017-40E6-89D5-0C7382942CDD.jpeg

Quarters and dog legs are cut off. Rust behind all of them. One rust hole on passenger side inner fender. Need to sand blast quite a bit of rust on this one.

2AB658A1-7DA8-4499-A14E-EE3EAC0BE4F2.jpeg
6DFF5F8D-573A-41B2-BEEC-59337FB6DC97.jpeg

Sand blasted the bottom of all the doors to prep for the door skin panels to be installed. I have to rebuild some areas first because they are gone from rust. Also, all of the inner fender areas behind the old quarter panels and dog legs. Now I can install the new quarters. It's nice to get the blasting done and out of the way. Sprayed with Metal Prep and now it has a nice coating of zinc phosphate. There are a few rust holes to repair on the inner fenders next.

IMG_1527 2.JPG
IMG_1529 2.JPG

Quarter panel patch installation requires cutting this piece out of the inner fender. The new quarter doesn’t have the exact same shape, so here you go. I made a template that I trace every time.
C13A220C-3167-4CD0-944F-5CD135A2E893.jpeg
7F14DE0D-6FAF-4E7C-B50E-98AD1AC1166D.jpeg

All done and ready to be cut to size. Sprayed with metal prep and now has the zinc phosphate coating. I will hopefully install the skins tomorrow.

0F771640-788E-4F0E-9662-FFDB18A77D63.jpeg

Am I the only one who sees a post from Kelly and gets stoked to see progress? its like a new episode of a good show
I enjoy the progress then I’m a little concerned about what he’ll find if I decide to have mine repainted. All that time and effort for body work looks overwhelming and expensive. However, it is necessary and indicates true attention to detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom