How to Flat tow your 80 series... safely. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0334.JPG
With a 6k hitch, I'd be more worried about how well the RV is going to be able to pull the 80, unless it is a one time event. Many variables involved of course and I'm no Safty Sally. Just might not be real fun on a regular basis. Is this a class C, like a Ford F3-450 chassis?

Regardless, just make sure you can stop it. Getting going is generally not so much an issue, but getting everything to a safe halt is.

Last edited:
It's a 34' Class A built on the Workhorse chassis, GCWR 26K and GVWR 22K. I'm usually at or under 20K RV weight for trips so I do have 6K pounds I can tow and still be under GCWR and hitch tow rating of 6K lbs - barely.

View attachment 1285940 With a 6k hitch, I'd be more worried about how well the RV is going to be able to pull the 80, unless it is a one time event. Many variables involved of course and I'm no Safty Sally. Just might not be real fun on a regular basis. Is this a class C, like a Ford F3-450 chassis?

Regardless, just make sure you can stop it. Getting going is generally not so much an issue, but getting everything to a safe halt is.

Can you post up a photo of how you have your 80 attached to your RV? Much appreciated!

Can you post up a photo of how you have your 80 attached to your RV? Much appreciated!
Post 107 in this thread.

One note I'd like to add, make sure the towbar is long enough. I've had to put in a 8" extension for the receiver on. Each RV is different, and mine happens to not only have a tight (for 40') turning radius, but the hitch is somewhat inset as compared to the rear cap.
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG

Last edited:
I would never go under 10k (personally) for a hitch.
I would never go under 10k (personally) for a towbar.

15k if overrated... yes, over kill.... its your life and more importantly others out there that you would potentially modify for the worse. Why risk it? Just my 2 cents. Better safe than worry *sorry*.

ON another note, I have a Slee shortbus bumper I'm going to sell. It has the Blue ox 10,000lb tow bar base plates welded in by professiona tow bar guys up in Washington. $1300 bux plus the ride. I'm done with 80's for another 10 years then I'll be back. (still have the 40)

Sorry for the delayed bump. Selling the car I currently flat tow an d am interested in setting up the 1996 80 for the same.

My motorhome has a 6000 LB rated hitch. My tow bar is rated to 7000 LB. My LC probably weighs in 5500-5700 for towing. I see you guys getting 15K lb hitches and 10K lb towbars - I get overkill for safety, but is it really unsafe to tow with my current equipment given I am below their ratings? Trying to weigh nice to have vs need to have and the associated costs. I definitely need a custom baseplate setup on the ARB bumper, and aux braking (didn't have for 3200 lb car), but I'd like to limit the expenses to that and not get new hitch and towbar unless necessary.

Post 107 in this thread.

One note I'd like to add, make sure the towbar is long enough. I've had to put in a 8" extension for the receiver on. Each RV is different, and mine happens to not only have a tight (for 40') turning radius, but the hitch is somewhat inset as compared to the rear cap....
Wow your towbar looks short and also where it attaches makes it even shorter with your bumper overhang! Mine measures 57" from pins to ball. Pic of mine:
IMG_1041.JPG

Great info here. So i took the plunge. I went with the InvisiBrake by Roadmaster, 10K Blue OX bar and ARB modified front bumper via LAME Fab. Took it out for a short 200 miles test drive this weekend. Love the setup, its hard to tell its back there.. I will add air sensors to the toad and thats about it. We have a trip up to Grand Marais Mn in a couple weeks and its nice to know i can leave the damn car trailer at home! Very happy with this setup.

Arvvv.jpg

Flat tow.jpg

Great info here. So i took the plunge. I went with the InvisiBrake by Roadmaster, 10K Blue OX bar and ARB modified front bumper via LAME Fab. Took it out for a short 200 miles test drive this weekend. Love the setup, its hard to tell its back there.. I will add air sensors to the toad and thats about it. We have a trip up to Grand Marais Mn in a couple weeks and its nice to know i can leave the damn car trailer at home! Very happy with this setup.

View attachment 1317323

View attachment 1317324

Nice looking set-up! Safe travels!

View attachment 1317323

View attachment 1317324

Looks good. What year is that Kodiak?

View attachment 1317323

View attachment 1317324

What mods on the ARB, or are you just using 7/8" bumper plate adapters on the stock ring mounts?

Thanks guys, sorry about the very delayed reply. I came back around to this thread to ask about MPG while flat towing the 80. Ill answer your questions first

The Seneca is a 2006, we are in our 3rd season with it and love it. We full time it in the Winters in Texas and travel the Midwest in the summer. Home base is Hudson Wi. Near St Paul. The only mod on the ARB is the pull points were modified to accept the Blue Ox pins.

Now for my question to revive this thread.

Running solo, no Towed vehicle i get 11-13 MPG with the rig, towing the LX runs me down to 8-9MPG. I was wondering if anyone else has the same drop. When trailering the 80 i stayed between 9-11. Seems that LC just hates gas, or diesel.

After close to 15K miles of flat towing I would do it all over again... s***ty fuel economy and all. Every time i hit a gas station folks come over to look and ask questions about the LX being flat towed... Its a pretty cool setup..

Any chance you can take a close up picture of the pull tab and pins?

Thanks guys, sorry about the very delayed reply. I came back around to this thread to ask about MPG while flat towing the 80. Ill answer your questions first

The Seneca is a 2006, we are in our 3rd season with it and love it. We full time it in the Winters in Texas and travel the Midwest in the summer. Home base is Hudson Wi. Near St Paul. The only mod on the ARB is the pull points were modified to accept the Blue Ox pins.

Now for my question to revive this thread.

Running solo, no Towed vehicle i get 11-13 MPG with the rig, towing the LX runs me down to 8-9MPG. I was wondering if anyone else has the same drop. When trailering the 80 i stayed between 9-11. Seems that LC just hates gas, or diesel.

After close to 15K miles of flat towing I would do it all over again... s***ty fuel economy and all. Every time i hit a gas station folks come over to look and ask questions about the LX being flat towed... Its a pretty cool setup..

Yes, can do that today and post up.

Here is what i found on the Interwebs Blue OX tow bar pins - Yahoo Image Search Results

Last, I bent my receiver hitch last year on a nasty bump. I always thought it was too long.. I carry a spare so i was able to keep rolling. I had the bent one shortened and i like it much better now. I can update the pic the next time i flat tow. Looking at the pic it reminded me how long that damn thing was...

Here are a couple shots of the modified ARB. And one gratuitous glam shot. I had the bumper sand blasted and re powder coated last year. the pull points need some touch up. That said ive put 8K miles on with that new powder coat, so its held well i think,

pull point 2.jpg

pull point 3.jpg

fresh warsh.jpg

@SHREG Do you have any pics of the invisibrake installation or installed? Curious where you mounted the air cylinder and how you routed the cable. Also wondering what you did for the pulley mount. Did you encounter any problems that needed to be addressed?

@SHREG Do you have any pics of the invisibrake installation or installed? Curious where you mounted the air cylinder and how you routed the cable. Also wondering what you did for the pulley mount. Did you encounter any problems that needed to be addressed?

Sorry, its been some time since i have looked back at this. Let me know if you still need info on this. Setup is still going strong. Zero issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom