How to Flat tow your 80 series... safely. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, its been some time since i have looked back at this. Let me know if you still need info on this. Setup is still going strong. Zero issues.
Yes, I'm still interested in more info on your invisibrake installation. It turns out I'm really slow at getting this set up, but I am actually pretty close to that point. It has been a long complete rebuild of my LX450 including engine rebuild, paint, new interior, etc, etc... Just wrapping up the interior this weekend, then I'll be working on the front hitch hook up and a braking system. Any help you can give would be awesome.

No pics!! :) I had the brake installed by a local shop. However, when I replaced my seats i did take pictures of it. I'll see if i can find them. I will be equipping another Cruiser with the same system. This time on an FJ62 provided i can flat tow it. Have not fully dove into that project at this point....still have to pick up the truck.

1.jpg

I have pics. For a reason i cant explain i cant post them here.. Not for lack of desire, this one is a technology issue on my side. Shoot me a text at 715-Four-One-Zero-0614 and Ill text them to you. Feel free to post them up for others... and I can give some more detail. Install looks straight forward.

Bump

For those of you flat towing you 80 series are you happy with the results? Would you do anything different?

Thanks

Bump

For those of you flat towing you 80 series are you happy with the results? Would you do anything different?

Thanks
It's worked like a charm since finding out it's towable with T/C in neutral. Over 10K miles towed - only thing different would be to have a more capable tow rig - like a diesel pusher motorhome. My F350 powerstroke does ok but with the 11' Lance aboard & towing the 80 - it's pretty much at it's limit. Flat ground and down hill I can hold 75 mph, but uphill it has to work pretty hard. Gone through a few gallons of diesel this side of the country ;)

Very happy. Id guess 15-20K miles without issue. My only change would be wiring in the tailights on the LX instead of using the magnets.. Im slow to get that done. We pull ours with a Jayco Seneca, Duramax doing Duramax things. We are looking to sell the Jayco and move to a Class A pusher so we will see how that works out. Could not have done it without this thread.

Very happy. Id guess 15-20K miles without issue. My only change would be wiring in the tailights on the LX instead of using the magnets.. Im slow to get that done. We pull ours with a Jayco Seneca, Duramax doing Duramax things. We are looking to sell the Jayco and move to a Class A pusher so we will see how that works out. Could not have done it without this thread.
@SHREG
PM me. I'm in the market for a Jayco Seneca or Greyhawk (7500lb towing) specifically to tow our 1997 FZJ80.

I'm researching now what's new and what works to flat tow with a Delta VS front bumper.

It's worked like a charm since finding out it's towable with T/C in neutral. Over 10K miles towed - only thing different would be to have a more capable tow rig - like a diesel pusher motorhome. My F350 powerstroke does ok but with the 11' Lance aboard & towing the 80 - it's pretty much at it's limit. Flat ground and down hill I can hold 75 mph, but uphill it has to work pretty hard. Gone through a few gallons of diesel this side of the country ;)
Very few if any diesel pushers can tow what a modern Powerstroke can even if the Powerstroke has a camper on the back. Just sayin Cheers

Very few if any diesel pushers can tow what a modern Powerstroke can even if the Powerstroke has a camper on the back. Just sayin Cheers
Would not have expected that. My '97 F350 is not a dually, which is less stable. Plus it's 4WD which, by the data rating anyway, makes it even less stable. It would seem that the pushers would at least be more stable since most are duallies. And I've not looked at engines, but it would seem that most owners would be towing something so the engineers should have factored that in. I'll have to be extremely careful and do my research if I ever move in that direction. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
@SHREG
PM me. I'm in the market for a Jayco Seneca or Greyhawk (7500lb towing) specifically to tow our 1997 FZJ80.

I'm researching now what's new and what works to flat tow with a Delta VS front bumper.
Ill ping you. My Seneca went on the market a couple of days ago.

Update. SENECA sold, along with our house and the majority of our stuff. EXCEPTION, we kept 4 Landcruiser’s. We were able to get into a Tiffin Phaeton with Cummins. Seneca handled the LX pretty good... The new rig does even better. We are currently in OKC and will be spending December in Dallas. Then we tour the South West. KOH, Rubicon are on the list for 2021.... #****someday. We go now.

DACE0008-6086-40AC-ABB7-133D1801CFD1.jpeg

Update. SENECA sold, along with our house and the majority of our stuff. EXCEPTION, we kept 4 Landcruiser’s. We were able to get into a Tiffin Phaeton with Cummins. Seneca handled the LX pretty good... The new rig does even better. We are currently in OKC and will be spending December in Dallas. Then we tour the South West. KOH, Rubicon are on the list for 2021.... #f***someday. We go now.

View attachment 2510469
Rock it man, love the tiffin. One day

Don't do this:

The accompanying article has some good information.
I loved reading through the replies at the end of the article.:rofl: But, seriously, as @SHREG suggests, it pays to double or triple check before hitting the road. My issue (more than once) has been with the ignition key. If you don't get it to where the steering wheel is out of the locked position, you can end up with the front wheels sliding - instead of rolling as they should. (Makes a horrible squealing noise - Ask me how I know) :rolleyes:

Maybe the owner wanted a Hemi and a twin case, and the wife said no. Now it would be justified since the entire drivetrain is shot. :flush: to:steer:

We looked at a Thor Magnitude super c today, it can tow (10k) the 80 no problem.

I'm going to reread this entire thread to know exactly what I'm getting into.

:beer::flipoff2:

Not sure if I have posted this one or not, but it's maybe the 6 one I've flat-towed? I am a fulltimer, so I drive it this way weekly.

131046627_10159050992602421_1390030322134821301_n.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom