Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you’d think that having spent all that time on the heater connections I would’ve not drilled my heater delete plate for the heater bulkhead! Doh! Fortunately a couple of washers hides my error but what a maroon (Bugs Bunny reference FYI).

I still need to add a coat of paint to the delete plate but it has been too cold and wet to do any painting. We’ll see if that gets done in the next two weeks before my camping trip.

Also, finally got to use my swanky AC hose compression tool! Very easy to use and crimps turned out great.

Question - can I drive the car with the compressor connected (with the belt) but the clutch not powered? Or should I just take off the belt until I’m ready to use it?

Making some more progress - turns out my template was off as I need to move the unit to the right about 1.25”. Testing the location also revealed that I will need to re-work much of my wiring I did for the stereo long ago. It is going to be super crowded and I will need every last bit of space to fit everything in there. My gauges compound the lack of space too. Going to be interesting...

I might have painted in the house since it was a bit cold outside. Please don’t tell the wife lol.

Looks so clean installed in the engine bay. Needs to get a little dirty.

And this is my AC bracket - i bought a 12”x12” 16 gauge sheet from Home Depot for $12. Fairly simple shape, used rivnuts, and painted black (outside). It’s baking inside though since it’s nice and warm in here. I’ll post my rivnut DIY tool and link if you don’t want to spend the bundle of money on a rivnut tool.

Ugh rough day today... frustration city. One of the rivnuts on my mount was off by 1/8”. I fought it for a long time finally came to the conclusion that it wasn’t going to work. So I hogged out the hole and then got the welder out to fill the old hole. That did work but man so frustrating and time consuming.

I used the old heater as a template but as it turns out, Toyota made their mounting holes very big so there was plenty of wiggle room. Well when you’re using a bolt passing through an old fixed nut into a rivnut not much room for wiggle. Royal pain in the arse.

I did get the unit mounted but of course it is too low so I’ll have to take it all off again. The hoses are just mocked up. Because the heater hoses pass through the fire wall very close to the heater connections I have to run a big loop. Not as clean as I would’ve liked but still up high and not easy to see while sitting.

I did get the charcoal canister reinstalled as well. The only spot I could find. Seems to fit well and doesn’t touch the AC hoses at all.

Looking good bro. It’s quite a bit of trial and error getting the unit set where you want it. Then once it’s in you’ll have lots of knuckle gymnastics getting everything fit and stuffed up in your dash.

Keep on!

Looking good bro. It’s quite a bit of trial and error getting the unit set where you want it. Then once it’s in you’ll have lots of knuckle gymnastics getting everything fit and stuffed up in your dash.

Keep on!

Yeah I'm not certain how I'm going to fit everything up in the dash - my gauges are going to present some significant problems I'm confident in that... :frown:

I might have painted in the house since it was a bit cold outside. Please don’t tell the wife lol.

View attachment 1912377
View attachment 1912381

Looks so clean installed in the engine bay. Needs to get a little dirty.

View attachment 1912379

And this is my AC bracket - i bought a 12”x12” 16 gauge sheet from Home Depot for $12. Fairly simple shape, used rivnuts, and painted black (outside). It’s baking inside though since it’s nice and warm in here. I’ll post my rivnut DIY tool and link if you don’t want to spend the bundle of money on a rivnut tool.

View attachment 1912378

View attachment 1912380

i’ve been contemplating doing this too. my garage is too cold to paint in. -45 here again today. no way paint will cure in that. it’d be the dog house for me if i did it in the house... and she’s already brought the dog in because it’s too cold out!!

Well work came to a grinding halt - got sick and am still sick. Not the flu but still have no energy, nasty congestion, and super annoying hacking cough. Luckily the weather went south too so the camping trip scheduled for this weekend got cancelled.

I got tired of laying around so decided to get the molded hoses mocked up. Thanks @mrboatman for the suggestion! I found shorter 4”x6” molded hoses so got those and it definitely looks better than the big loop. Very snug in there but should work just fine!

Well finally feel like I’m not sick anymore... still coughing but now I think it is allergies. So much rain and everything is so green and blooming now. Can’t wait to not hack anymore.

Anyhow, got the unit in - moved it up about 1/2” on my bracket but it doesn’t appear that it moved much. But considering the fight it is to get it in I’m going to call it done. I’m not looking forward to the next fight and that is routing the hoses - my gauges I think will be in the way so that is going to suck. Don’t want to eliminate them but I may have to. :(

Notice my modified Toyota switches - looks much better than their small half height ones. Got them from @RAGINGMATT if you want to go that route.

8485FC16-6403-4811-A949-53FE7344A1EF.jpeg

20574687-6A4E-47D0-ABBB-0E7A8C3736A4.jpeg

Spent a couple more hours on the never ending AC project. Got it exactly where I wanted it, shortened the hose attachment on the back of the unit. Relocated the hideous stickers so they aren’t as visible. And installed the defrost push/pull lever. Had forgotten about that since the instructions are pretty lacking. It’s a really long cable - I tried shortening it and putting my own loop on the end of the cable but it was too big and I couldn’t get the nut over it. So used the long setup and looped it (I need a 3M cable tie to secure the loop you can see to the left of the unit). Little bit of work to push/pull the switch but could be worse. It’s the knob below the brake light. It’s shorter than the other knobs but since it is off to the side it works. No @RAGINGMATT won’t be changing that knob. :)

5CCEEBAC-D653-4217-AC97-92892E9FEF96.jpeg

Snuck in a couple hours of work after the Masters... have the inside AC and heater hoses routed and it looks pretty clean. Just have one small thing to do with the small copper pipe in the photo. Routed a few air/both defrost ducts as well - they definitely will interfere with my gauges. Either I get rid of or build out the plate (@Solace in Solitude I’ll probably build out similar to what you did but probably no angle).

Electrical and a few more air ducts to run (awful job btw with all the switches and muck up in the dash area - hopefully I didn’t unplug or damage any wires). Of course I managed to drop a small retention clip for the air ducts and it fell into the area I call the abyss - next to the gas tank under the center console. I’ve dropped my keys there and had a tough time finding. Forget about a small clip. I pulled the seat to check but that thing is long gone might even be under the gas tank. Sigh.

Getting closer! Hopefully I’ll have this done before the summer is over lol.

3060CCE2-9D36-48BD-B3D5-C110949C10D4.jpeg
463F2212-92B4-4A88-A2F6-DE94F323B6B0.jpeg

Snuck in a couple hours of work after the Masters... have the inside AC and heater hoses routed and it looks pretty clean. Just have one small thing to do with the small copper pipe in the photo. Routed a few air/both defrost ducts as well - they definitely will interfere with my gauges. Either I get rid of or build out the plate (@Solace in Solitude I’ll probably build out similar to what you did but probably no angle).

Electrical and a few more air ducts to run (awful job btw with all the switches and muck up in the dash area - hopefully I didn’t unplug or damage any wires). Of course I managed to drop a small retention clip for the air ducts and it fell into the area I call the abyss - next to the gas tank under the center console. I’ve dropped my keys there and had a tough time finding. Forget about a small clip. I pulled the seat to check but that thing is long gone might even be under the gas tank. Sigh.

Getting closer! Hopefully I’ll have this done before the summer is over lol.

View attachment 1954024View attachment 1954025

Looks great, I always tell myself that it’ll go faster the second time.

Well it has been all summer and then some and the AC still isn’t done. But decided I really miss driving this so made it at least drivable. Don’t need AC at this time so this is how it will be for a bit. Amazing that it had been over a year since I last drove my cruiser and after a bit of pumping of the gas it fired up and drove like a champ! 140,760

4B76FDF6-DCAE-48FF-921A-945F4FADE9B8.jpeg

33FFEAC4-C230-445E-B9CA-AF0602202AFD.jpeg

33804C88-C6DB-4C23-90F7-8412C63FED1D.jpeg

22450F83-79B0-46CA-A644-E5853F47AAA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom