Bolt on turbo kit (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like I need to clock my turbo oil drain/ supply 180deg. Looking for the Borg Warner procedure/torque. Also have to track down some green loctite.

What is the meaning of "clock" in this context? Rotating of different parts for proper alignment?

For those who haven't seen the instructions, they look something like this:

Cn-IV3NWgAABQEv.jpg

What is the meaning of "clock" in this context? Rotating of different parts for proper alignment?

The turbo is an assembly of three parts: the turbine, compressor and oil cooler. When you loosen the clamping bolts you allow all three to rotate independent of each other. The turbine needs to be mounted in a fixed position. That is non-negotiable. The oil cooler can be positioned 360° around. You want the oil drain pointing down. The aluminum compressor can rotate the compressed air outlet port also in 360° but you’ll want it pointing over the valve cover.

Well, it references an ANALOG clock, not a digital one. This gives reference to a rotational orientation as in "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise".

One must first understand the operation of an analog clock before using this as a reference........

This may seem sarcastic, but try teaching that to a child that has had nothing but digital clocks in their life.......

@jjdeneen918 Maybe it's been covered before and i missed it, but what is the state of your engine now as you begin the install...meaning miles, cylinder head machine work/rebuild, compression numbers, etc... Thanks for being the guinea pig!

Nevermind. I just saw in another cylinder head thread that you just recently did a head refresh not too long ago. If it isn't mentioned already, might be worth capturing that information in this thread to head off any questions you will likely get throughout the course of your install and initial drive period.

UPS is late getting here or else three more kits would be going out. I gotta leave for an appt so it’ll have to wait til tomorrow 😢

Nevermind. I just saw in another cylinder head thread that you just recently did a head refresh not too long ago. If it isn't mentioned already, might be worth capturing that information in this thread to head off any questions you will likely get throughout the course of your install and initial drive period.

I did the HG about 2 months ago. More of a preventative maintenance & prep for turbo kinda thing. Compression numbers were in the mid to upper 170’s to 180.
Head went to a machine shop, they went thru everything & sent it back.
Cometic HG, ARP head studs, injectors cleaned & mapped.
Nothing crazy or over the top.

will the kit come with the throttle cable "heat protector" as pictured in post #4366?

will the kit come with the throttle cable "heat protector" as pictured in post #4366?

Yes it comes with a heat sleeve but not the one used on my truck. I had left over sleeving from the turbo oil hoses so I just used that on my cables. All orders come with a different sleeving called InsulTherm.

“Insultherm is an extremely high temperature resistant sleeve commonly used as thermal protection for wires, cables and hoses that are subjected to continuous and extreme high temperature environments, such as engine manifolds and exhaust systems. Insultherm is braided from fiberglass yarns and saturated with high temperature resins that improve the product's stability and minimize irritating fiberglass dusting during cutting and installation. The sleeving is tough and durable, maintaining its tight structure under extreme vibration, abrasion, mechanical stress and temperature variations. Insultherm is available in a wide range of diameters. It cuts cleanly with scissors and installs easily over a variety of applications to either deflect or retain heat in environments up to 1,200°F.”

4E05C39E-8085-4C17-A668-9045E9D777DF.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom