93-97 oem radiator interchangability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think i might need a new radiator in my 94. Not really sure why. I put a new OEM in there about 4 years ago (70,000 miles ago). But anyway, If i can find one in stock locally i just want to confirm 95-97 will 100% fit. i know there is a different part number and a slight difference in the way they are built.

PS any good online dealer discounts if i have to order it? Local price is $415. I think i paid about 350 form CDan so i can live with that.

I got a koyo from Amazon for like 200ish and it's been working great for 2 years and 7k or so miles.

Can @beno confirm so I don't spout incorrect info?

i checked my junkyard today just to see and the only ones i have sitting around are from an EARLY 93 and a LX450. the things looked the same but the brass fittings that attach to the bottom for the trans cooler are different sizes. not sure if the early 93 (R12 truck) had something different from the later OBD1 rigs but just letting you know what i saw.

another thing to note is a 25 year old truck could have had god knows what done in its life so dont take what i posted as anything 100% correct to all vehicles.

All FZJ80 radiators are interchangeable.
Cool. The 93-94 are about $70 cheaper than the 95-97. Do you think one is better than the other? Have we had this talk before?

We have. Each have their merits IMO.

There is so much blah blah blah about radiators that I just recommend folks do their own research (not on MUD... because the MUD pablum is repetitive BS) with online sources about the differences between aluminum and copper cored radiators.

they are interchangeable. The brackets on the side of earlier ones are different though. you'll need to loosen the lower L backet on the frame and angle it in, but it should fit fine.

and again

5F16B423-3F12-41D9-BA60-1317E6897395.jpeg

(not on MUD... because the MUD pablum is repetitive BS)
Very true. Mud (just like nearly all forums) is very guilty of trying to squash anything that is not the same parroted/recycled/commonly accepted response to these types of questions. A lot of the time, the answer is the answer, and lots benefit from this type of repetition. It does become a problem though when from time to time creative ideas/solutions are automatically immediately sidelined in favor of keeping the same old ideas at the top.

There are a lot of incredibly wise members here, I like watching their gears turn. Wishful thinking, but I would love to see that fostered.

Very true. Mud (just like nearly all forums) is very guilty of trying to squash anything that is not the same parroted/recycled/commonly accepted response to these types of questions. A lot of the time, the answer is the answer, and lots benefit from this type of repetition. It does become a problem though when from time to time creative ideas/solutions are automatically immediately sidelined in favor of keeping the same old ideas at the top.

There are a lot of incredibly wise members here, I like watching their gears turn. Wishful thinking, but I would love to see that fostered.

I agree. I've been on here a long time, and I tend to spend time on mud for a year or so, and then I only log in every other week or month for a while. Then I get passionate about building something or whatever and waste some time on here sharing perspectives or shortcuts. The most fun I have is doing things that haven't been done, or building components that tend to be store bought. I'm widening steel wheels and adding custom designed bead locks (drew them up in CAD and ordered from local waterjet to match wheel design) for example. These sorts of projects can be a lot more fun than simple bolt on stuff and are usually more rewarding though sometimes more stressful.

If it gets bland, take on something out of your league, even if failure is likely, it will be much more fulfilling than radiator threads (no offense to anyone in this thread) and you may gain some new skill sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom