Distributor questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased the dizzy cityracer sells and am attempting to install it today. It’s part number 19110-61180 (mid cap?) and will replace the HEI the PO put in. Am I correct in assuming that I will also require a distributor clamp as well?

61B713B1-8A46-484B-9D00-D78CE5E617FB.jpeg

Purchased the dizzy cityracer sells and am attempting to install it today. It’s part number 19110-61180 (mid cap?) and will replace the HEI the PO put in. Am I correct in assuming that I will also require a distributor clamp as well?
View attachment 1769290

Yes, once the dizzy is in, you can rotate it to change the timing. Once you have timing set, the clamp will lock it in position.

Make sure that the dizzy seats all the way to engage the oil pump.

What vehicle?? If it's for a stock fj60 there is no 'clamp'. It's kept in place with the 12mm (head size) bolt on the right side where you stick in the dizzy.

When you stick in the dizzy make CERTAIN it sits completely flush.

Looks like this particular part is missing that feature in the casting to lock it from rotating?

I think that this part (Stock 1977 dizzy) requires the clamp. I have one ordered but am now attempting to wrap my brain around how to go about wiring up a new coil. Ill look over the wiring diagrams between the two years and attempt to come up with a plan. I'm sure it's quite simple but I don't have any experience in this realm and am sure to have questions going forward. I have seen posts about people considering using the Cityracer dizzy in an FJ60 (i.ei @HemiAlex) but have yet to see a post where someone actually did so in a FJ60. I wish I had the stock dizzy but the PO did away with it and now I' left trying to undo his prior "work." Going to try and figure this out and will post photos while I go. Thanks for the help.

Personally, I would suggest a stock '81-87 fj60 large dizzy is a better choice for a fj60 rather than a '77 dizzy.

What engine are you putting this in?​

I thought his website used to indicate a clamp and 12v regulated coil were required.

I emailed about this in the past.

From city racer:
“The purpose of the resistor is to reduce the voltage at the coil in order to prevent the points from burning up prematurely. Thus, the same principle applies to FJ60. If you take a look atSOR's page on non-USA distributors, you'll see the following guidance applied to virtually all years:

"For 9/71-8/87 vehicles must purchase ignition coil #024-03A, order separately if needed"

Here's a good thread on this topic, with Trollhole's explanation given at the bottom of the page.”

I don’t have the luxury of having a stock 60 dizzy and have this gone with what I can find. It’s going back into my 1984 2f fj60. I’ve tried to locate a stock dizzy with a functional vacuum advance but have had little luck

Pick up a broken stock dizzy on the cheap (ie vacuum advance is broken). Go to Rock Auto and send it in to A1 Cardone to get it rebuilt. They will fix the vacuum advance and you will have a like-new dizzy.

Used '81-'87 dizzy, send it to JimC...$150 & your golden.

Last edited:
We understand...but you're making a wise choice.

Here’s to blowing even more cash. thanks for the lead!
I wouldnt consider that blowing money. Talk with City Racer and see if you can return his since you were able to find a true FJ60 large cap.
It is never blowing money when you are purchasing true OEM parts, well at least that is what I tell myself.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom