FJ60 Dizzy Rebuild with Vacuum Advance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I just wanted to create a post as some of you have struggled with limited options after the vacuum advance has gone out on your FJ60 dizzy. Rockauto.com provides a dizzy rebuild service through A1-Cardone to rebuild your dizzy. I contacted A1-Cardone and they actually fix the vacuum advance as well during the rebuild. I just got mine back and it works great. Initial cost was $150 plus roughly $15 to ship them your dizzy. It has now jumped up to $170 + $15 shipping and I am sure the price will go up as more people find out about it.

Just wanted to let people know. Will post a pic shortly.

Stoshzack

Dizzy.JPG
Rebuilt compared to one about to be rebuilt.

Excellent find. I had heard that Cardone rebuilt the vac advancer when they went through the distributor. Hadn't heard of anyone who actually had done it.

That's really great to know. Thanks for the heads up.
Might want to paint your newly blasted vac advancer. It's raw steel now that the remnants of the cad plating were blasted off and it will rust quickly.

Thanks!

Was the Vac advancer not working prior to the rebuild? It does kinda look like the lip was pried up, though. I just like to know how they do it....

Thanks for that info. I have a backup Dizzy that I will send them. I will post up when it is done.

Excellent find. I had heard that Cardone rebuilt the vac advancer when they went through the distributor. Hadn't heard of anyone who actually had done it.

That's really great to know. Thanks for the heads up.
Might want to paint your newly blasted vac advancer. It's raw steel now that the remnants of the cad plating were blasted off and it will rust quickly.

Thanks!
You can spray your parts with Clear from an aerosol can. I have done this with parts that I had to clean with a wire wheel, thus removing the plating.

There's a clear with rust inhibitors at Home Depot that works really well I use it on shovels, even.

Great. Thanks for posting the info. Should help a bunch of peeps with failed vacuum advancers. How long was the turn-around?

Last edited:
GOOD TECH. thanks stosh...

@stoshzack what was the rebuild exactly to the diz itself? New bushing and springs? Would this be considered 'recurved' ?? I now have two diz in hand w/ blown primary advance diaphragms.

@NeverGiveUpYota - yes, rebuild was to dizzy itself. I am assuming new bushing and springs, but you can contact A1-Cardone if you want specifics as to exactly what is replaced. These are not recurved as far as I know.

I can tell you that I sent in a dizzy for my 60 and 40 and they have never run better. The price is a little high, but if you plan on keeping the vehicle for the long haul - I think it is worth it.

Awesome. Sounds good. Much appreciated extra details for this thread.

Just saw this. The price of the rebuild is fair, even just for the rebuilt dual diaphragm advance canister.
The Cardone rebuild process is heavy handed. Typically the castings are heavily blasted, marring any diecast or machined surfaces. But they are clean, so paint can be applied. The cross pin is pressed out of the gear, but they don't know it is expanded in there, so as it is pressed out, it tears up the hole & messes up the gear. The gear won't slide off because the cross hole is boogered, so the gear is pressed off, scarring the shaft as the boogered gear is pressed down the shaft. As long as the gouges are filed down level, this is largely cosmetic. This is done to get the shaft out & replace the Denso bearing with a new Chicomm bearing, which is usually unnecessary. When the gear goes back on the shaft, the solid pin is replaced with a spring pin or roll pin, which is not as strong. That gear transmits all the power to drive the oil pump, and there have been reports of failure on cold start. The engine shuts off immediately because the ignition & oilpump shut down at the same time, so no damage done.

Bottom line, if the core dissy has a dead vac advancer, a full rebuild is better than nothing. If vac advancer is good, then their surgery is too invasive & crude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom