What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled sliders to blast and repaint. Already had the rear bumper off to do a body lift so I'm cleaning up the chassis and using KBS products to paint it.
20180526_192240-1.jpg

Yup. You should see the work I put into a 73 Powerwagon to rescue it from rust. Replaced rockers, bedsides and door skins. Thats why I try and stay on top of things with the 100.

Installed a new amp today - Kenwood X801-5. I've heard the factory speakers and sub suck, but holy sh*t, with this amp it actually sounds great, and the sub is surprisingly powerful.

On a related note, how the F*!K do you get the F@!KING FIREWALL GASKET back on?! :bang::bang::bang:

Done for now, took two years but I'm happy with it. Finished it off yesterday w new ko2's and firestik. Thanks to mud for all the advice.
IMG_20180526_200240.jpg

Last edited:
20180527_103614-1.jpg

Progress on refinishing sliders. Though I would swear the dog and kids are conspiring to murder me. I tripped over a pair of bikes they parked behind me and somehow the dogs tie out got hooked on my extension cord, sending the angle grinder flying into my leg when he took off to play with the kids. Yay, summer.

1998 LC, 336,616 miles
5F3ED1E7-9027-4770-BCBA-3D7712CDCC5B.jpeg
C4E13401-6B2F-449E-A7AB-0B8AD6FABEC6.jpeg
Put on new Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (285/75 16) on Friday. The tire shop kept the 10 year old valve stems on the wheels and now I have two wheels with air leaks. I’ll get that fixed later this week. (Didn’t think I’d have to ask to have them replaced.)
We went camping over the weekend. While out and about I put my knee on the driver’s seat and ripped through the seam in the driver’s seat. I was able to patch it up pretty quickly and it turned out pretty nice.
92206AE3-D391-4A65-89A4-6093C5E6EAED.jpeg

Completed my conversion from Factory Nav/HVAC to aftermarket radio, Kenwood DNX994s with Garmin NAV and Apple CarPlay. With @jerryb help we now know the HVAC factory NaV can be successfully removed. You MUST replace the LEvison Amp if you go this direction. Now I am putting new Hertz speakers in to go with my new Alpine PDX-V9 Amp. Also installing 10” JL sub.

D4F4B6D4-8B26-4B70-B1EC-9400AE7FD904.jpeg

E8126B02-5DCE-4FDF-A371-CC75CC75F25D.jpeg

Do you have any pics of the final install ?

Rexing V1P Front and Rear Camera installed!

Ok, took a few quick pics of the finished "install". The only tools I used were the plastic trim tool that came with the camera and a phillips head screwdriver (to remove the glovebox, two screws just below it).

First remove the glove box, and pull out the center piece where the ashtray and cigarette lighter and plugs are. The plastic piece just comes straight out if you gently pull (open the ashtray and use it for leverage). No screws. The bottom is held in place with a few tabs that slide behind the center piece where the shifters are. Just pull up once the top is out and it should come out.

Just work it off towards the driver side. No need to unplug anything.

After that, it was a really simple install. Because my hardwire kit was defective (another one arriving today), I just used the micro-usb cigarette lighter plug for now. Start at the cigarette lighter and work the cable up through there to behind the glovebox. I just reached two fingers in from the glovebox side and was able to grab the micro-usb plug and pull it through. Pull the cable all the way through until you have 2-3 inches left. Enough to plug it into the cigarette lighter plug.

Now start where the unit will be mounted and run the cable between the headliner and windshield towards the passenger side. I just put it under the flap of material that seems to be covering a seam. Use the trim tool to get it all the way down the trim to the footwell panel that hides the fuse box. Around the middle behind the glovebox, you should have 2-3 feet of extra cable. I just used a tie-wrap and secured the extra cable to one of the other cables back there.

Put the glove box back on, as well as the center piece with the ashtray. Here is what it looks like all buttoned up and plugged in. Note: this could damage the cable, but cables are cheap. Anyway, I might leave it alone, or I might try to use a fuse tap with the new hardwire kit. We'll see.

EE3D7B29-6561-4E94-8C88-86B21A18E69E.jpeg

Here is where I have it mounted.
9A590512-09FF-4EB2-A965-04B8744FCA41.jpeg

Be careful with the headliner. The glue on mine is pretty weak. You can see a little hump in the picture. I might be able to just flatten it out.

The rear camera, I used the trim tool to get the rear lift gate trim partially off, just so I could run the camera cable towards the left to get it through this rubber boot and into the vehicle from the lift gate. (Note: I might go back and actually feed it through the rubber boot.) No need to drill any holes. You will also need to take off the top most trim piece on the inside of the truck.
C8D445FC-F5C4-43CD-8FF0-0869957516A2.jpeg

Once you are in, run the cable to the right of the truck, and use the trim tool to feed it along under the flap of material
4E91302F-2AEA-483F-97B2-CA28EC6CDB27.jpeg

You can make it all the way to the front unit and plug right in this way. You will have 2-3 feet of extra cable. I just looped it back on itself towards the rear of the truck because I was in a hurry. If you try to go along the floor, it will not reach.

The rear camera. I should tuck more of that cable in.
1A82B721-B40F-4781-8CF9-1228ABA67CC1.jpeg

Overall, this probably took 30 minutes to 1 hour. I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the hardwire kit, though.

Last edited:
Completed my conversion from Factory Nav/HVAC to aftermarket radio, Kenwood DNX994s with Garmin NAV and Apple CarPlay. With @jerryb help we now know the HVAC factory NaV can be successfully removed. You MUST replace the LEvison Amp if you go this direction. Now I am putting new Hertz speakers in to go with my new Alpine PDX-V9 Amp. Also installing 10” JL sub.

View attachment 1710444

View attachment 1710447

Do you know how much the non-nav swap parts ended up costing?

Any more details on how you did it? Was it a kit or did you fab yourself?
Hi, Yep I would be interested in what front bumper you have and any issues you had installing, for instance, the spacing from the image. Thanks for any advice. I have a cherry 2003 LX and just beginning to build-it up.

View attachment 1710029
Progress on refinishing sliders. Though I would swear the dog and kids are conspiring to murder me. I tripped over a pair of bikes they parked behind me and somehow the dogs tie out got hooked on my extension cord, sending the angle grinder flying into my leg when he took off to play with the kids. Yay, summer.

The paint keeps coming off mine where i step. What are you using for paint and is it tough?

Changed the oil, filter and just for S&G's the oil pressure sender. I wanted to see if the new sender would get me more of a pressure reading range of 1/4 - 1/2. Nope. Less. The new sender pretty much sticks at 1/4 the whole time, with a slight rise to the mid point between 1/4 and 1/2, only to fall back to a 1/4. Kind of disappointing. I guess if it ain't broke, don't make it broker...

Jim, sleeping platform looks practical and comfy with the air mattress.

What are using to hold / support the platform?

Also - I could be wrong but I usually run my spare with the face mounted up to hopefully prevent any damage from road debri or offroad encounters.

Do you know how much the non-nav swap parts ended up costing?

For the LX it is around $2,300 for the Lexus Parts. Then you need to add the Aftermarket Head Unit & Amp. If you do the speakers then add that also. Even though it is really nice and upgraded, if I had to do it all over again I don't know if I would because of the total Cost...

First oil change since I’ve owned it, replaced the heater T’s, got a state inspection, and got an alignment done. All looks great.

Then I installed a brake controller and gave the trailer hitch it’s first use since new. There were no marks whatsoever in or around the hitch. Which lead to this.

2481B600-CA9E-49F0-8A68-9B29C30EF992.jpeg

394DEE8C-3BE7-4E0A-A6F7-6E2CF5D29805.jpeg

Did a “PADDO system” AHC bleed and fluid change on my new-to-me 03 LX470. Also pulled off the rusted to pieces splash guard and was pleasantly suprised to find that it had apparently bore the brunt of the damage from the Chicago area road brine(If anybody has an OEM and wants to sell, I’m shopping). While I was already under there inspecting, I also greased the joints and shafts. I was planning on doing my heater T’s as well, but it was hot and humid here in Arkansas yesterday and you guys weren’t kidding about it being a PITA to access those things. Decided in my drenched in sweat state that I would end up tearing up more than I’d fix and decided they could go another week. Of course it’s supposed to be 103 Saturday sooooo, I better get up early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom