FJ25 Factory Soft Top Reproduction (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone, It's been awhile.

I know, yet another Soft Top Reproduction Thread offered to build up our hopes only to slowly fade away without results. I wanted to create a new thread with a simple "to the point" title hoping this will be the one to complete this venture.

I feel that previous attempts have fallen short for a few reasons. For me, they have lacked a definitive product along with a realistic cost. I was hesitant to commit to the list with concerns that the top would not be what I'd like it to be. While it needs to be correct it will not be "perfect", I am certain that the top I have in mind will be noisy, drafty, leaky and cumbersome to take on and off. I've done a little homework and have produced some preliminary numbers of hardware necessary for a true OEM style Soft Top. As I gather more pricing for a complete top, I will list them. My first and immediate thought, when I first viewed a Factory top in person, was that the Hardware cost and Hardware installation cost would probably be ridiculously expensive. I am going to entertain taking on the Hardware installation task myself and see how much $ could be saved. I can get quotes either way when a soft top shop reviews the job.

I also produced a rendering per Ken's (aka eltioloco) Factory Top which he was nice enough to leave with me recently, thank you Ken.

1CC75392-05B4-4794-82D8-76205B5F6B6D.jpeg
C6A85CCA-0DAC-44AF-AB14-EE355318E5F4.jpeg

Last edited:
These numbers are rough estimates

Metal Window Rings, including shipping $300
Web Strap Ends $61.50
Web Strap Buckles $43.50
Common Sense Buttons (rivet style) $100.65
Common Sense Plates $10.45
Common Sense Grommets $17.15
Common Sense Washers $9.60
Webbing Rivets $16.00

Totaling $588 just in Hardware. My guess, another $800 in installing the Hardware.

Haven't been following the soft top threads lately. Is Marshall no longer working on the project?

I have been more than void from Mud lately, but I am guessing that whatever arrangements were talked about regarding an FJ25 Top Reproduction are Past.
I’ve had my own facetious ideas about a Factory Top Reproduction and questioned why it would be soooooo hard to obtain.
Hopefully I will be able to come up with some reasonable numbers soon.
My first approach will be to inquire about reproducing a top for a vintage Jeep/Military vehicle in lieu of Toyota Land Cruiser parts which appreciates bids by as much as 200%

Marshall
Haven't been following the soft top threads lately. Is Marshall no longer working on the project?
Marshall turned the 40 soft top project over to Julie, who has always done the sewing. Julie no longer makes 40 tops in canvas, just PVC and high end German fabric.

Marshall

Marshall turned the 40 soft top project over to Julie, who has always done the sewing. Julie no longer makes 40 tops in canvas, just PVC and high end German fabric.

Was this posted somewhere in the 25 section or else where on Mud? Last post I seen in a soft top thread by Marshall was April last year and his post sounded like he was still planning on making tops for the FJ25 and early FJ40 FST.:meh:

I have been more than void from Mud lately, but I am guessing that whatever arrangements were talked about regarding an FJ25 Top Reproduction are Past.
I’ve had my own facetious ideas about a Factory Top Reproduction and questioned why it would be soooooo hard to obtain.
Hopefully I will be able to come up with some reasonable numbers soon.
My first approach will be to inquire about reproducing a top for a vintage Jeep/Military vehicle in lieu of Toyota Land Cruiser parts which appreciates bids by as much as 200%

WELCOME BACK SEAN!

Was this posted somewhere in the 25 section or else where on Mud? Last post I seen in a soft top thread by Marshall was April last year and his post sounded like he was still planning on making tops for the FJ25 and early FJ40 FST.:meh:
From his Factory FJ40 Soft Tops, Bikini Tops, and Dusters. thread:

New THC tops. I have decided to let my manufacturer take over my top sales and shipping. From now on you will be contacting Julie for your tops. Her e-mail is myfatboy02@yahoo.com

Soft Top Specs: FJ/BJ 40
  • PVC with charcoal backing in Black, White, Sandalwood, Charcoal, Buckskin
  • Sumbrella Edging...

I don't know what this means for development of new stuff such as FJ25 tops.

These numbers are rough estimates

Metal Window Rings, including shipping $300
Web Strap Ends $61.50
Web Strap Buckles $43.50
Common Sense Buttons (rivet style) $100.65
Common Sense Plates $10.45
Common Sense Grommets $17.15
Common Sense Washers $9.60
Webbing Rivets $16.00

Totaling $588 just in Hardware. My guess, another $800 in installing the Hardware.

pricing to do the common sense fasteners and metal window rings was a big factor in my going with zippers on annie's top. i have no regrets not being 100% original there.

From his Factory FJ40 Soft Tops, Bikini Tops, and Dusters. thread:

I don't know what this means for development of new stuff such as FJ25 tops.

Haven't followed any vendors threads so sure that's why I missed it. While not close have followed the 25 soft top threads

pricing to do the common sense fasteners and metal window rings was a big factor in my going with zippers on annie's top. i have no regrets not being 100% original there.

Did I miss seeing your top installed? Thought you were still waiting on bows?

As others have said Julie can make 25/early40 tops. She used my 62FST as her jig but her tops were more along the lines of what Ige had done. So Sean's intrigued me as it sounds like it will be closer to OEM.

Did I miss seeing your top installed? Thought you were still waiting on bows?

I am still waiting on bows. i do have a crappy mock set that i had the top on with, but they're not good enough to even put the common sense fasteners on the lower portion of the top. the pieces above and behind the doors are done and this weekend i pick up the door frames. just need to get someone with correct dies to bend the bows themselves. easier said than done. it's a tight radius.

the top made for my was light the 40 tops where the sides roll up. i do plan on having that remedies so the whole panel zips out like the factory top would've done with the common sense fasteners

37AFFD41-632C-416B-A55A-3B5F48E432BD.jpeg

943360EB-2EE3-4D9B-A01F-AA08F6F00F25.jpeg

Julie made a top for my 62 and it is a nice top. She was having trouble with the canvas so she used a newer material.
Thanks Sean for taking this on. Looking forward to see a accurate top one day.
Ken

Nice looking top. My biggest complaint is the side and back windows roll up and not removable. The dust in AZ is hard on the windows when rolled up. Have a few Kayline tops that I deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom