Rebuilt 2f start up tomorrow morning. Round 2 today 6/1/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
This ain't tech yet...and I hope it doesn't turn in to tech as that would mean an issue and I hope to not have any.

@2mountainfish and a couple local Club members will be helping me with the start up and dialing in the engine. The 2f had 350k on the clock and was tired. I've had it installed for a month but had to be out of town for 3 weeks right after I put it in, so waited until now and also when the other guys were available.

Spent the last several days with hooking all the electricals etc up and now we are ready. All excited so had to tell someone with this post. Will put some tech in here so the mods won't move it; cam break in will be with Delo 400 15w-40 conventional with some Lucas Zinc Plus added. Plan to retorque the head and readjust the valves after 100 miles, change the oil and again after 1k. Then regular oil changes every 3-5k depending on how I've been driving.

I've got till between now and Aug to get it dialed in for the Solid Axle Summit in Ouray, Co. Here's some pics with it all ready to turn the key...wish me luck.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
August for certain!

Talk about jitters
Most of us (myself included) will think of any possible reason to put off starting the engine for the first time. Oh wait, let me work on such & such before firing it up. I have to admit I did not feel good on my reckoning day. Man I just didn't want to turn the key and discover some disaster. After scolding myself thoroughly for being such a pessimistic wimp, I finally just said F it and turned the freaking key. God I felt ill.

Engine started perfectly, ran really great. Whew. Piece of cake (yeah right).

Man, did you hit the nail on the head OSS. That's exactly how I feel & prob why I posted this thread...just to try to get rid of the jitters. I've worked on engines since I bought my '75 40 (new & still a DD for me) and thru 4 different Land Cruisers, it seems I've always had a wrench in my hands, but this is my 1st full rebuild.

Turn of the key is 10am tomorrow...I'll be glad to see 10:30 roll around. Think we've crossed all the 'T's', time will tell.

Tech: it was a good idea to use a radiator pressure tester prior to start up, found a leak that would have been a pain to address during start up, carb adjustments etc.

John, we got this. Before you know it, you will be able to do the speed limit again:).

Last edited:
This ain't tech yet...and I hope it doesn't turn in to tech as that would mean an issue and I hope to not have any.

@2mountainfish and a couple local Club members will be helping me with the start up and dialing in the engine. The 2f had 350k on the clock and was tired. I've had it installed for a month but had to be out of town for 3 weeks right I put it in, so waited until now and also when the other guys were available.

Spent the last several days with hooking all the electricals etc up and now we are ready. All excited so had to tell someone with this post. Will put some tech in here so the mods won't move it; cam break in will be with Delo 400 15w-40 conventional with some Lucas Zinc Plus added. Plan to retorque the head and readjust the valves after 100 miles, change the oil and again after 1k. Then regular oil changes every 3-5k depending on how I've been driving.

I've got till between now and Aug to get it dialed in for the Solid Axle Summit in Ouray, Co. Here's some pics with it all ready to turn the key...wish me luck.

View attachment 1708136

View attachment 1708137

View attachment 1708138

View attachment 1708139

Hey John ,

U "Did Well" by adding this " ALL Goes Well " secret sauce .....:popcorn:

DSCN5847.JPG
DSCN5848.JPG
DSCN5849.JPG

Right you are, that's eggzackly the stuff I used. Seems to fit the bill. Good to hear.

Good Luck tomorrow. Been there ,done that and I promise you will remember it for a long while.

I wouldn't be able to sleep John.
Looking forward to seeing you and the misses in August.

Ok everyone, thanks for asking. Not there yet, nothing 'bad' to report, just not where we want to be yet. Here is a brief rundown and the plan:

It stared up, @2mountainfish got it properly timed but could not get it to idle properly and could not get vacuum above 10. Spent the next 3 hours chasing vacuum leaks...have the air cleaner off during carb adjustments so not every vacuum hose is/was hooked up. With the smog pump delete i also installed we found some vacuum lines I did not plug up. Fixed all those and still low vacuum.

I had my intake/exhaust manifold properly planned and even tho I torqued the manifold to spec, carb cleaner sprayed showed a leak. (Used OEM gaskets everywhere) Retightened each bolt good n tight, and it showed some improvement, but now a vacuum leak around the base of the carb. Tightening the 4 carb bolts did not help. Removed the carb & cleaned up the gaskets with razor blade and no improvement. But with carb cleaner sprayed, a very large vacuum leak all around the base of the carb was still there.

Long story short, just got off the phone with CruiserOutfitters and ordered the gasket called the 'Carb Base Gasket', the one with 2 holes for the barrels. It will get here Tuesday. I've never replaced that gasket before and not certain that is my problem, but there is a major leak there and a bad gasket is about the only thing I can see that would cause a leak.

Between now & then I will button up the the front cross member, the grille, headlights etc. reinstall my ARB front bumper with the 8274 on it...OUCH! It's heavy, but I've got spare time waiting on the gasket.

The good news is that the problem is vacuum related and not mechanical and no weird noises upon start up. Find and fix the vacuum leaks and should be good. If someone has thoughts on my carb vacuum leak, I'm all ears.

What is / was the condition of your Insulator Block , Double Verify it has no cracks

even a hair line hard to see with the naked eye will expand as the engine gets warm

also , on your insulator block u should have a bigger Vacuum port ,6mm , a L shaped tube facing up , on the drivers side outer

its factory installed with a asbestos glue sealer , it can become loose & cause a major Vacuum leak

u should have around 17Hg as u know at base idle best case senerio

good luck tracing it down

Yeah vacuum leaks suck---
But about that bumper w winch-
You're just asking for it trying to lift them both together. The assembly is too heavy. Separate them and install bumper first but slid onto first frame hole, not all the way in. And if the winch is too heavy to lift (which it kinda really is) unspool all the cable. That will shed another 27 lbs or so.

Thanks @RAGINGMATT, good points all. I will be taking the carb and insulator block off (again & again) tomorrow and will check for your points...will check that L shaped tube also. You're correct, it certainly 'could' be something other than the gasket itself, but for $5.50 we're going to eliminate that one. One step at a time.

Sometimes these things are as you say, hard to trace down. But right now, I'd rather be chasing a vacuum leak rather than some weird noise afte a 2 month long tear down and rebuild.

Last edited:
Good points OSS, the combo is heavy...will be using the engine Cherry Picker for this one. I think the Mrs. would really frown if I asked her help on that one. However, she actually helped quiet a bit when I had the engine on the stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom