LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@SWUtah - I read this as coming from a guy across a bar, who happens to also own an LX and sharing experiences abt the truck. So the suggestions regarding fixing the problem are definitely welcome.

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a repository for AHC info, so if you could help answer any of the growing list of questions that I bolded and underlined above, then that would be really helpful. I'll continue building this list and continue compiling answers and bits of information I find. But by no means is this supposed to serve as a thread for my specific build.

I did 5 years of research and learning and searching to find the right truck that would serve as a basis for a sturdy intercontinental expedition rig. I came across this particular rig and show it did very well in objective metrics, there was an additional reason the terms of this particular deal were and remain so attractive. I bought from a private seller who has agreed to pay (and has already paid) for necessary repairs, with a right of return within a given time period — so I’m sufficiently covered if I need to make extensive AHC repairs and/or return the truck. My main thing is getting this right.

Dealer techs have their own agendas, but in this instance there is no “sister” dealership to play one off against another or to get second opinions. As much as I think I may know abt AHC, my knowledge is still very limited as I don’t have TechStream or many other diagnostic tools.

@SWUtah - I read this as coming from a guy across a bar, who happens to also own an LX and sharing experiences abt the truck. So the suggestions regarding fixing the problem are definitely welcome.

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a repository for AHC info, so if you could help answer any of the growing list of questions that I bolded and underlined above, then that would be really helpful. I'll continue building this list and continue compiling answers and bits of information I find. But by no means is this supposed to serve as a thread for my specific build.

I did 5 years of research and learning and searching to find the right truck that would serve as a basis for a sturdy intercontinental expedition rig. I came across this particular rig and show it did very well in objective metrics, there was an additional reason the terms of this particular deal were and remain so attractive. I bought from a private seller who has agreed to pay (and has already paid) for necessary repairs, with a right of return within a given time period — so I’m sufficiently covered if I need to make extensive AHC repairs and/or return the truck. My main thing is getting this right.

Dealer techs have their own agendas, but in this instance there is no “sister” dealership to play one off against another or to get second opinions. As much as I think I may know abt AHC, my knowledge is still very limited as I don’t have TechStream or many other diagnostic tools.

Just hate to see a fellow owner get hosed. Lexus will normally do almost anything to make you happy.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. This echo's the LX470 owners early experiences with AHC and the dealership. They work on these so few and far between that they are unfortunately learning on customers cars. Many early failures came from the dealership using the wrong fluid, e.g. brake fluid, which royally hoses the system as it eats away at every non-compatible seal and membrane.

I'm still scratching my head as to how the filled the system (and with what)? You said they didn't touch the reservoir cap? Like a brake system, there's no functional way to fill it any other way than by the reservoir, as the system is under pressure!

I sure hope that yellow fluid is not brake fluid... But does sound like you lost a globe.

Was going to do this this afternoon as have the tools and multiple instruction sets. Upon opening hatch can't figure out how to get filler open.

longrangers picture....mine were too dark, thanks.

a9cc3da6-af43-44eb-a10c-9e5e54661aa7-jpeg.1686586
So in the picture the cap with the wings unscrews 90 degrees and pulls out where the small tip is an oring around the opening pushed into the bolted down portion to form a seal. Can't really get fluid in there as the opening is maybe 1/4 id. Thinking of unbolting plastic piece to get access to hose clamp to both suck fluid out and add. Can anyone confirm this is correct before I start. If you know the bolt size I would appreciate that information as well.

Thank you,

Noah

Last edited:
Was going to do this this afternoon as have the tools and multiple instruction sets. Upon opening hatch can't figure out how to get filler open.

longrangers picture....mine were too dark, thanks.

So in the picture the cap with the wings unscrews 90 degrees and pulls out where the small tip is an oring around the opening pushed into the bolted down portion to form a seal. Can't really get fluid in there as the opening is maybe 1/4 id. Thinking of unbolting plastic piece to get access to hose clamp to both suck fluid out and add. Can anyone confirm this is correct before I start. If you know the bolt size I would appreciate that information as well.

Thank you,

Noah

Normally when I add fluid I would just use a syringe or bottle pump to SLOWLY add fluid in the filler, a SMALL amount at a time, and wait a few seconds for it to pass through the filter before adding more (and I stuff a rag under the filler to catch any inadvertent spills).

If you will be working around the reservoir, I'd recommend cleaning any dirt and debris from that area before you remove the filler cap. I was checking the level in my reservoir yesterday and after removing the cap, i bumped the fuel filler tube and knocked a chunk of dirt which landed in the filler filter.

So I removed the bracket, filler and tube to clean them out and here's what I found; The filter is a removable cartridge that you should be able to pull out GENTLY with a pick so as not to damage the mesh filter material. There seems to be a courser inside mesh and a finer mesh on the outer wall. Mine had debris between the 2 layers and had to blast it our with a can of brake cleaner from the outside back in.

This filter does NOT fully seal on the filler tube. There are some gaps around the edge from which debris can enter the filler tube and reservoir.

Those are 12mm bolts on the brackets (may need to blast some penetrate/lubricant onto the exposed back ends of the bolts to have them come out easily)

31841524_10214602823317465_413679812452810752_n.jpg

31769775_10214602821357416_6922462093933281280_n.jpg

Last edited:
I thought that was Coke in the bottle! Wow, that's dark.

I guess I'd better do mine.

@Darb , did you just vacuum the tank, or go ahead and bleed/fill too? How much total fluid did it take?

@Darb , did you just vacuum the tank, or go ahead and bleed/fill too? How much total fluid did it take?
I only bought 2 quarts of fluid( which was not enough). The tank itself holds 1.5 liters of fluid. I vacuumed the tank and then verified that all fluid was out with my borascope. I just received 4 more quarts today so I will drain the tank again this weekend and then bleed off all 5 valves underneath and have 100% new fluid.

@Darb Thanks. I'll make sure to get 2 cans then. The color on mine is coal black too.

Where are you all buying your fluid from? I need to do mine at 90k

So interval from Lexus is 60K, which I'm halving and doing at 30K, well just because I guess. So would I do in another 60K or 30K? Followup would be is it black like the first change in the diffs because of moly on install, or water or ??

I just bought this one 30 days ago but it was owned by a soccer mom and never off-road. Highway and in town driven on smooth rolling hills roads. @grinchy I would get more than 2 cans because you won’t have enough to flush and bleed the lines and rest of the system. I had no idea the reservoir tank was as big as it is. I’m assuming the rest of the system will hold at least 1, and maybe 2 quarts of fluid after flush and bleed off. Be prepared to lose your mind about how slow it goes back into the tank and if you get even remotely greedy and try to give it more it spills everywhere.

3 cans? Oh my. I wonder if I can find the 1 liter size anywhere. I bet it's similar to brake fluid and doesn't store well too. Just more grist for the Guzzler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom