Would you add roof rack and bumpers to a 100-series with 240k miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Topic says it all...

Trying to figure out it I should purchase a roof rack, front, and rear bumper for my new-to-me 100 series. It has 240,000 miles on it and has been well-maintained from what I can tell. The previous owner was a manager at a dealership's maintenance department and seems to have kept up on oil changes, etc. The timing belt and water pump were done 5k miles ago.

I've never had a car with this many miles on it before, so I am hesitant to put money into accessories.

Opinions?

If that's what I wanted to do I'd do it.
If you were scared of the miles you shouldn't have bought it, know what I mean?

Spike555 - good point! The miles didn't scare me off as it seemed to have been very well maintained, 2 owner car. It's a 1999, by the way. No rust on it anywhere that I can see. It has the factory rear locker and I picked it up for $9800. Just did a 1500 mile road trip with no issues (except for the gas mileage).

Last edited:
Uh, is this really a question? I'd put all that stuff on it and more. I'm looking at a 2nd rig that has 380k on it and if it checks out, I'm gonna get it and build it up like my current '98 LX with 179k on the clock. You got a FANTASTIC deal on the rig. Most of us pay above $7k for something similar. I'd use those savings and upgrade the hell out of that rig.....bumpers (front and rear), sliders, roof rack, etc.

Thanks for the input so far! i feel really lucky on the deal that I got!

No, you shouldn't. You bought a lemon. I have a good news, though. I'll pay you $3,800 for the truck and you can buy something with lower miles....

Do you need a roof rack and bumpers to do what you want to? If so, put them on and use the cruiser the way you want to. Water heater t’s should be confirmed. Enjoy it!

No, you shouldn't. You bought a lemon. I have a good news, though. I'll pay you $3,800 for the truck and you can buy something with lower miles....
That's what I'm thinking too. Something's fishy. And I'm totally not saying that because I'm bitter just bought a 99 for double that price :D Although mine does have "only" 175k miles.

Want a bit more reassurance send some old oil at next oil change to Blackstone Labs
Expect their report will say engine is in great condition.

Yep, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Just make sure all the details are done and taken care of. I think there's one mudder with about 450 K on the clock and it has never let him down. Damn, I wish I could remember who it is but it wasn't Shottz.

Last edited:
Yep, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Just make sure all the details are done and taken care of. I think there's one mudder with about 450 K on the clock and it has never let him down. Damn, I wish I could remember who it is but it wasn't Shottz.
I think @dingoboyexplore has about 430k on his rig. From the incredible pictures he posts, looks like he trusts that thing in some remote places.

Plus, in the highly unlikely event those bolt-on parts outlive the 100... you'll unbolt them, and hang them on the next 100

^^^THIS^^^

With Land Cruisers mileage means very little. If it's been maintained and you plan on continuing to maintain it, then consider the odometer an ever-increasing badge of honor.

Load that puppy up with bumpers, skid plates, lockers, roof rack, etc... It'll take it all in stride at 400k just as well as 50k.

The only caveat to higher mileage is a consistent list of maintenance items. If you stay on them they will all remain minor and will have minimal impact to your overall experience of ownership.

I dont see why not, I have 415k on mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom