Wiring confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you can help..been restoring 71fj for 5yrs,frightened every time consider wiring,but it’s time.bought was advertised 71harness on eBay years ago,some connections seem to match up,I’ve stared at wiring diagrams for hours.got ignition to work,headlights,heater blower,struggling right now with marker wire,diagram says solid green,it’s not there,but have two separate wires that are both red with white stripe,on both sides .?

RW= Red/White stripe
G = soid Green
GY = Green/Yellow stripe
GO = Green/Orange
WB = White/Black stripe(always ground)

All side marker lights will have one +12v wire to each light assembly. The assemblies will have a WB(white/black stripe) ground wire that needs bare metal contact under a mounting screw.

Driver & passenger Front side apron markers are RW

Driver & passenger Rear side apron marker “I think” are both G

Passenger front turn/marker has a RW and GY. In case your harness is hacked, The front fender mounted marker RW wire meets with the side apron marker RW approximately 7” from where the horn relay branches off.

Driver front turn/marker has a RW and a GO

Make sure you scuff the bullets, bulb bases, bulb sockets. The front fender mounted turn/marker housing only works when you tighten the mounting stud nut against a patch of bare fender metal:). You must also ensure one of the 4 bolts that attach the fender braces to the frame in contact with bare metal(ground path)

When you go to hook up the wiper motor ask me for a link or search coolermans website for the “Backasswords” sub harness connection instructions:cheers:

Do you have a fusible link? If not you’d better get one. Coolerman sells some.

A word of advice given to me by the legendary Coolerman: make sure the two WB’s at the voltage regulator are clean grounds. They are critical because they ground your entire harness.

All three versions (that I have) of the 71 wire schematic have some slight wire color errors.

Does your wiper motor have a plastic park switch cover. Like the the one I arrowed(no screws)?
FB5D0DDC-F6BD-465A-ADE0-9306FFC7A08B.png

Paging @Coolerman

He can help you determine what year harness you have and how to make it work.

You got this. As mentioned, Coolerman is the holy grail of tech support.

Here are some wire colors I believe(know) schematics have wrong.

Interior light switch are both RG
(Schematic says GR & RG)

Inspection light socket has two wires, RW & GY (schematic says 1 RW)

Note: at the branch of the 2 insoectionlight wires you will have a 2” RG w/female bullet taped to the harness. That is for a “vader” light. It runs off interior light switch

You’ve discovered front markers(“combination lights”) are NOT G. They are RW.

Stop light switch in the schematic is wrong. (Schematic shows 2 wires, RW & GW) I count 6
630AE23B-CA4F-4038-BBFD-0544BB02DE7A.jpeg
0E27DAF7-A011-4CB6-8781-9826CC5F48DB.jpeg

At the fuse block the “TURN” wires paired are GO & WR (schematic says GR & WR)

At the fuse block “LIGHT” wires are GW & RB (schematic says RW & RB) iow the wire going from block to the stop light switch ain’t a RW:hillbilly:

71 Fuse Block
38A80451-4EBE-45C4-BDDC-E9D127396FEE.jpeg

Lemme know if something I typed is incorrect.

If you can help..been restoring 71fj for 5yrs,frightened every time consider wiring,but it’s time.bought was advertised 71harness on eBay years ago,some connections seem to match up,I’ve stared at wiring diagrams for hours.got ignition to work,headlights,heater blower,struggling right now with marker wire,diagram says solid green,it’s not there,but have two separate wires that are both red with white stripe,on both sides .?

U need this ,

X3 For @Coolerman

It has extensive Wiring Diagrams for each Model Year 1972-later , It has a Real Good One that applies to 1971

ffc12c8507325d4ef12a6c52b071e3e6.jpg

DSCN0177.JPG
DSCN0181.JPG
DSCN0182.JPG
DSCN0179.JPG
DSCN0180.JPG

Hours staring at a harness...oh how I know that experience all to well:D
Good news is, that means you’ve got the grit needed to gidderdone.

Holler if you find any more wires that don’t show up on the schematics.

Can’t thank you all enough for direction,going to attack it this weekend,confident I’ll need more .bigredrocker sounds very correct recalling wires I’ve spent hours staring at.thanks again.

The schematics in the Haynes manual for pre-72 are full of errors. Please go to my schematic page and download any of the several 1971 schematics that have been cleaned up, colorized and corrected for actual wires.

Coolerman's Electrical Schematic and FSM File Retrieval

The best one is the 71fj40_wireCleanedM.jpg It has the correct rear chassis wiring without the confusing trailer stuff that no one has, has corrected wiring colors for SOME things, but not all, and does not have the headlight terminal blocks which also confuses people.

The schematics in the Haynes manual for pre-72 are full of errors. Please go to my schematic page and download any of the several 1971 schematics that have been cleaned up, colorized and corrected for actual wires.

Coolerman's Electrical Schematic and FSM File Retrieval

The best one is the 71fj40_wireCleanedM.jpg It has the correct rear chassis wiring without the confusing trailer stuff that no one has, has corrected wiring colors for SOME things, but not all, and does not have the headlight terminal blocks which also confuses people.

Just went out with much confidence,already frustrated.wires from harness appear correct,but new turn signal/marker light have one bullet connect green and one green with yellow which has what appears to be ground connecter?thanks

The front fender mounted turn/marker housing only works when you tighten the mounting stud nut against a patch of bare fender metal:). You must also ensure one of the 4 bolts that attach the fender braces to the frame in contact with bare metal(ground path)

Do you have a fusible link?.

Turn signals do not have a WB ground wire. They ground to whatever hunk of steel you bolt them to. If the hunk of steel you bolt them to is not properly grounded to the frame, your lights will NOT light up.

So...use a piece of sandpaper or a dremel grinding bit(my favorite) and grind away paint/rust from underneath the fender where the turn signal bolt resides. Also you have to create a ground path either (fender to frame) or (fender to tub).

Let us know if you have any more questions. No need to :bang: when you’ve got @woody’s mud pit.:cheers:

79FB90E7-02CB-49E7-9CA0-C1547C944285.jpeg

I chose to run a ground wire and coat it with liquid tape. Most people just scuff under a bolt or two.

8331EA0A-6E00-4EA8-B67E-2BEF6E4855C6.jpeg

Sorry,last picture doesn’t make sense to me,is that white female for windshield pump,diagram shows it should be L colors ?

That two spade plug with YR & WB is for a VSV(vacuum switch valve). Don’t think many people hook that up anymore. Here’s what a 6/71 vsv looks like. They changed to a black box shortly after 71, perhaps 72
Link: Vacuum Switching Valve test

71 washer is L(blue) and LY(blue w/ yellow stripe. It will not be female bullets. It will be female spade. It branches near 2 speed detector wires(LW & LW). Also near those branches might be 2 reverse switch wires(RL & RL)

If you have a floor dimmer switch. Those 3 wires might be (RY, RG, RW) that branch exits about 12” after the windshield washer jug branch.

If you have a voltage regulator below your brake booster, it will be 3 split rings. 4 wires total.
WG(white w/green stripe) alt field
WR(white w/red stripe) fused power
2 x WB’s (white w/black stripe) critical grounds, the ground entire harness

Hopefully I didn’t make to many typing errors. Lemme know if something doesn’t add up
:beer:

I see your voltage regulator nowo_O. Would be a good idea to order a female connector for the VR asap. Pretty important connection there.

My Horn wires is GW on driver and passenger side.

Is that GY with split ring on your drivers side?? Pretty sure I’ve got a drivers GO turn wire and Passenger GY turn.

Grounds wires are only WB. What ground wire are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom