Builds Urban Assault Cruiser 92 FJ80 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got 2 of the pipes welded up. Using several flanges to make it easy to take apart and repair the drivetrain.
20180219_200228-756x1008.jpg
20180219_200238-756x1008.jpg

Exhaust has been time consuming. I'm using lots of flanges so I can remove sections easily. Muffler is ready to go. View attachment 1642737
do you know part # for that muffler , i did se one like that on salvage yard in tahoe but i can't find it in store all i can find is two pipe exit one enter
and do you know dimensions of it ?

do you know part # for that muffler , i did se one like that on salvage yard in tahoe but i can't find it in store all i can find is two pipe exit one enter
and do you know dimensions of it ?
Its in the neighborhood of 11.5W"x21Lx7"tall. I had to use a big soft mallet to dent in the side nearest the lower frame side control arm bracket since the bracket protrudes out but not too much. I don't have a part number, its the muffler used in 4x4 tundras for the last 3 or 4 years with the 5.7 3ur motor. My 80 now sounds pretty much exactly like a new tundra. It really has refined the overall feel of the rig, just sounds quiet and smooth compared to red-neck chevy like the po installed muffler. I think you could find one at a salvage yard with a newer tundra. Would just take some safety glasses, a sawzall, and 10 minutes to remove.
20180312_185310.jpg

Finally got a chance to work on the 80 while I wait on parts for my 40. All the gauges are now working. I swapped the tach for a 93 tack. I also installed the bottom indicator from the 93 that has the locking differential lights and installed wires for the locker lights. Now to start putting the dash together. The 92 has openings on the back for the locker light, just traced the circuit board for those lights to see what pins to add.
20180507_185147-1008x756.jpg
20180507_184424-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
20180509_174134-756x1008.jpg

Got the new evaporator out and new expansion valve. Early 90s Toyota expansion valves get lazy when they get old. Toyota has a tsb on them. I also added some insulation to the trans tunnel. With the evaporator in I fired it up for the first time with the new exhaust and no holes in the firewall. It is so smooth and quiet. Sounds way better than it did with open holes in the firewall and the redneck muffler. Unfortunately looks like the 700r4 has a bad pump and input bushing. So I'm going to go for a 4L60e I guess since I still have to reflash the ecu anyway. Was not planning on putting a trans in this. But I think it will be better off since it will be programmable, and I can fix the horrid p.o. shift linkage.

Pulled the old front axle out...
20180512_125112-1008x756.jpg

Got a good deal on the new axles. Just doing the front today...
20180512_152535-1008x756.jpg

20180512_185412-1008x756.jpg

Was pretty straight forward. Had to swap one brake line. I didn't realize the front brakes are bigger on 1fz rigs so I grabbed some beat stealies laying around to get me home. Will do the rear axle another day. I kept the smaller sway bar from the 92, it seems like the 93 and up sway bar is stiffer but Toyota didn't beef up the brackets on the axle with the beefier sway bar and on my last 80 with the newer sway bar the bracket ripped off of the axle. I'm not wiring up the lockers for a while so I just ziptied te pigtail out of the way for now.
20180512_193837-1008x756.jpg

Are the ones sold on fleabay not correct? There are a couple listers there with glass
Euro clear depo lights for 90-97 but I'm not sure if they're direct fit for the 91-94 cruisers.

I’ve got the depos on my 93, and just had to trim the grill a little where it connects to the light. The area of interference will be readily visible. 30 seconds with a Dremel on each side and it was good to go.

The rigs looking great! I’m sure the 5.3 will feel amazing!

Finally got a chance to work on the 80 while I wait on parts for my 40. All the gauges are now working. I swapped the tach for a 93 tack. I also installed the bottom indicator from the 93 that has the locking differential lights and installed wires for the locker lights. Now to start putting the dash together. The 92 has openings on the back for the locker light, just traded the circuit board to see with pins to add. View attachment 1695842 View attachment 1695843

I am following this thread very closely. I somehow have not seen this thread yet depiste having searched exstensvily. I as well have a early 80 and I am switching many things over from a 97. I have two locking axles I was going to rehab and then swap but haven’t started yet. How did you wire up the locker lights? You have the pins to the cluster plug and then wires from there to the Ecu? Where did you get the pins?

Besides the brakes any other surprises in swapping the axles? Anything you wish you would have done looking back before the swap or “while youn were at it”?

Did you pull the locker wires from the donnar loom or did you make new sores to run form axles to Ecu?

The rig looks great by the way. Very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom