Builds Urban Assault Cruiser 92 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So looks like I'm buying a 80 again, thus a new build thread. Guy has spent a lot of money on it, and he gave up and bought a new truck, and I swooped in at just the right time. I wanted something with a bit more towing capacity. It's a 91 or 92 (still in transit to me) and I plan on selling my beloved 4runner daily and make this 80 my daily and will pull my 40 from time to time to the trails. It has a hood scoop on it because hood scoops increase horsepower lol. The interior is rough, need to find some good door cards and a dash pad. The old owners son had a disability and liked to pick away at interior parts. I also am going to try and find some nice leather front seats with heating and ventilation.
13838-1024x768.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't forget cupholders! :flipoff2:

(and pics or it didn't happen :p )

Nice purchase...let us not forget, as it is, it is more capable than 95% of all other vehicles on Earth.

Edit: even the 3FE

Nice score. Didn’t you have an 80 previously and moved to a gx or something?

Nice purchase...let us not forget, as it is, it is more capable than 95% of all other vehicles on Earth.

Edit: even the 3FE

RE- EDIT- ESPECIALLY 3FE!!

Umm...doesn't anybody pay attention on here!? Doe de doe de doe...I'm going to sell my cruiser, I just can't afford it/don't need it/want something better....then after a while you buy another because you can't live without it. Well, at least you're starting over. Some would say that's not a good thing, but you've hopefully figured out what works and doesn't and what you want etc.. and won't have to go through multiple iterations like most of us do to figure out what it was you were really after. I would like to build another ,but eventually I need to stop squandering my money and buy a house.

RE- EDIT- ESPECIALLY 3FE!!
Haha that's funny. The 3fe is a great motor, but I have a f series motor in my 40, and that's enough f series' for me. I need a fair amount of power to tow my 40 every blue moon or other such loads.

Last edited:
Umm...doesn't anybody pay attention on here!? Doe de doe de doe...I'm going to sell my cruiser, I just can't afford it/don't need it/want something better....then after a while you buy another because you can't live without it. Well, at least you're starting over. Some would say that's not a good thing, but you've hopefully figured out what works and doesn't and what you want etc.. and won't have to go through multiple iterations like most of us do to figure out what it was you were really after. I would like to build another ,but eventually I need to stop squandering my money and buy a house.
Yea I know. That's how it goes I guess. But that 94 did give me a better idea on what direction I needed to go. 37 inch tires was not in that direction.

I was awfully confused when you said you needed more power and bought a ‘91 or ‘92. Lol. Well can’t wait to see what motor has been swapped under the hood!

So my friend picked up the cruiser from the owner and gave him the money. I got this rig cheap for 3 reasons. 1. The owner apparently spent a lot in having mechanical work done and was just ready to get out of it and enjoy his new diesel pickup. 2. It only drives with the center diff lock engaged. Unlocked it wouldn't move and would make a terrible noise. Could it be the tcase? The front diff? I am 1300 miles away and the guy isn't real knowledgeable so couldn't be sure over the phone. 3. I was back n forth on purchasing, after a few months I made up my mind and made the call. But he informed me that now it's not only no longer driveable with the center locked, its not driveable at all and has a new terrible noise especially when braking. If it's not a running and driving vehicle as u all likely know, it kills resale value.

I had some clues due to described symptoms to hope all it wasn't serious, but it could possibly be expensive. With 280k on the clock who knows right? Then he got it to his house. He's a gear head big time. I told him my suspicion and he gave it a look for me.

Last edited:
... 2. It only drives with the center diff lock engaged. Unlocked it wouldn't move and would make a terrible noise. ...

Most common would be a drive flange.

So he gets it home, looks at the axle, and sitting on the steering arm is this.....
13866.jpeg

Caliper bolt. The other one was hanging on by a few threads. Thus the new noise making it undrivable is solved. Bolts installed and that's fixed.

But what about the center diff lock issue? How much work is that gonna be? I had a hunch. Described it to Barett and had him remove the grease dust cap...

Not serious at all! Now I just need to source some new flanges, or locking hubs. Which I'm not real up on 80 series locking hubs, so what is total garbage to look out for. As far as used flanges, I want newer ones, like 93 or 94 right? Didn't they change in 95? From my understanding 91 n 92 are the bad hub flange years right?

The longer outer shaft/birfield and thicker drive flanges began in march or april of 1994. Of course, you will need the longer outer shaft to go with the thicker drive flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom