My 72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody,

I bought an FJ40 last summer and have been wanting to write a post about it! I ended up picking it up from a guy in Milwaukee who had it stored in an underground garage for the past 5 years. I saw an ad online and went and test drove it. It was a great deal I couldn't pass up. I've always loved the FJ40's but never thought in a million years I'd own one. He didn't put more than 500 miles on it in the 5 years he owned it. He said he bought it from a guy in Chicago who had moved there from Montana. I saw these stickers on the shocks from an offroad club in Montana and searched online and found them. They told me the FJ40 was originally from Montana and that one of the guys in the club actually put the stickers on the shocks 18 years ago when he worked at a car dealership in Montana when it was for sale.

The body and motor are pretty solid. It doesn't have a hard top so I bought a bikini top for it. I had to get the carb rebuilt right away and bought a new steering stabilizer for it. I need to get new shocks for it as the ones on it are super stiff and they've been on it for at least 18 years.. The speedometer doesn't work and I need to get the turn signal switch fixed as it's kind of glitchy. I bought a 1972 turn signal switch for it and it came with 6 wires hanging off of it. Then I noticed my FJ has the rectangular 6 pin connector. Do I need to buy a different turn signal switch?

Here are some pictures of it. I want to upgrade the seatbelts and get a back seat possibly. I wish I lived somewhere I could take it and do some offroading but Wisconsin is pretty limited on places to take it. Thanks for reading!

Picture 104.jpg

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

Welcome to the madness!

While you have the bezel off flipping it you might as well paint it white. :meh:

The guy is proud of his new ride and all the bezel nazis have to about a nice truck is flip the bezel paint it white how about dang that’s a nice ride. The way y’all think I guess we should not lift our trucks or paint them because that not the way they came stock if Toyota cared that much they should not have made them flipable y’all act like a bunch of junior high school girls

Well he should be proud of his new rig. If something is installed upside down or doesn't look right, this is the place people are going to point it out. If he likes it the way it is, fine. People are still going to tell him about it. You on the other hand are not helping anyone by saying stuff like "the factory screwed up and put some of them on that way. So don't be a troll and have a nice day. This wasn't your post, you are not a moderator so don't feel like you need to respond to every comment made to Musky's post.

Everybody go to their safe spaces and chant happy things.

To the OP welcome to inter acting and participating on MUD. You found a nice rig there and it looks to be in great shape. Don’t let comments hurt your feelings. The bezel police are correct just in case you really didn’t know. I am not a purist so whatever someone wants to do to their rig is fine but we will always have opinions for and aginst anything. I would second that a white bezel would break up the red on the front end and give it the older classic 40 look.

You can run the bezel any way you like. After extensive research I have found that performance is not effected by placement of the Bezel.
How ever running it upside down is tantamount to walking around with your pants unzipped.
Nice looking rig though and those are some serious rockslingers.
Just noticed the padlock on the tail gate...Don't want anyone getting in and stealing things.
Enjoy you'r new ride and enjoy the forum. If you can get passed the BS there is some good information to be had here.

:cheers:

Really nice looking rig you got there and welcome to the the Forum!! Lots of great info on this site and many knowledgeable folks (I am not one of them). I just bought a bikini top for my just bought 69 FJ40--glad I did. My rig is now in the shop getting a laundry list of deferred maintenance work done--can't wait to see that bill

Thanks for all the input! I did actually take the bezel off and flip it but the paint at the top of the bezel needs to be touched up so I just flipped it back upside down until I can find time to paint it. I just ordered some Bilstein 5125's for it so I'm stoked to get those on. I'll contact Coolerman about the turn signal switch. Thanks everyone. I'll try and post some updates as I get things started. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom