Fj40 half tub replacement woes.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's rough to do when you pay upfront. Guess it was too much to expect to get a product to fit my model as advertised.
Absolutely it is. I saw the same stuff with crate motors, radomes for aerospace companies, helicopter parts... if something gets shipped and it's screwed up, always file a claim.

I started this thread last August or September I believe. Since that time, Frank has sent me a new tub with the correct body mount Positioning. I’ve learned a lot about tubs in regards to different years in this time. I was originally sent a 73 and later FJ tub.The body mounts werent even close. I sent the dimensions needed for My 1971 FJ and Frank sent me another Tub that seems to fit at this point. I just attached the rear halftib to the front half. I’m in the process of prepping for paint. Cutting holes for Clearance lights, reverse lights, fixing some small dings here and there. I still have a lot of work to do. I’ll Share some information with you that i picked up in the last year since ordering. Disregard any delivery dates promised to you. Make sure you’re getting the correct tub for your model year. Early tubs, mid 70s and later tubs are all different. I recommend sending measurement for body mounts, openings, and overall length. Be a pain in the ass!!!! The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Share your experience on this website. It’s great or horrible advertising....don’t expect an oem tub to show up... it will require a lot of work. Definitely take pictures of the tub as it was shipped and CLOSELY inspect the tub for shipping damage. I was just so relieved to get my tub that I didn’t inspect it closely in front of the shipper.
Frank is continually making improvements on this process. Specify that it be crated well.... mine was and still was bent and dinged.
Even though it arrives primed, it’s poorly primed and will require a complete sand, prep and reprime. Flaking primer doesn’t make a good surface for paint to stick to.
I hope the improvements frank made with tub#2 is the new standard. Better crating ( even though I still had damage)
Primed much better (even though I’m going to have to sand and respray)
Fender supports behind rear wheels.
There’s a lot Im leaving out and forgetting. Message me if you have any questions.
Overall I’m glad to have this tub. even though It took a year to get one that fits. Understand frank AT LCH is ironing out the wrinkles continually, traveling back and forth to Columbia, dealing with a more primitive process building these body parts. I think that by giving the needed dimensions, they are able to offer correct fitting body parts. Ask questions and document conversations.

I started this thread last August or September I believe. Since that time, Frank has sent me a new tub with the correct body mount Positioning. I’ve learned a lot about tubs in regards to different years in this time. I was originally sent a 73 and later FJ tub.The body mounts werent even close. I sent the dimensions needed for My 1971 FJ and Frank sent me another Tub that seems to fit at this point. I just attached the rear halftib to the front half. I’m in the process of prepping for paint. Cutting holes for Clearance lights, reverse lights, fixing some small dings here and there. I still have a lot of work to do. I’ll Share some information with you that i picked up in the last year since ordering. Disregard any delivery dates promised to you. Make sure you’re getting the correct tub for your model year. Early tubs, mid 70s and later tubs are all different. I recommend sending measurement for body mounts, openings, and overall length. Be a pain in the ass!!!! The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Share your experience on this website. It’s great or horrible advertising....don’t expect an oem tub to show up... it will require a lot of work. Definitely take pictures of the tub as it was shipped and CLOSELY inspect the tub for shipping damage. I was just so relieved to get my tub that I didn’t inspect it closely in front of the shipper.
Frank is continually making improvements on this process. Specify that it be crated well.... mine was and still was bent and dinged.
Even though it arrives primed, it’s poorly primed and will require a complete sand, prep and reprime. Flaking primer doesn’t make a good surface for paint to stick to.
I hope the improvements frank made with tub#2 is the new standard. Better crating ( even though I still had damage)
Primed much better (even though I’m going to have to sand and respray)
Fender supports behind rear wheels.
There’s a lot Im leaving out and forgetting. Message me if you have any questions.
Overall I’m glad to have this tub. even though It took a year to get one that fits. Understand frank AT LCH is ironing out the wrinkles continually, traveling back and forth to Columbia, dealing with a more primitive process building these body parts. I think that by giving the needed dimensions, they are able to offer correct fitting body parts. Ask questions and document conversations.

I'm glad to hear that you seem to be headed down the right path. I didn't know it at the time but I believe I was one of the first people to order a rear tub from LCH. When mine showed up it wasn't primed (just had surface rust), Frank shipped it on a pallet which disappeared on its way here. The tub was damaged, but Frank did take care of me. I did have to cut the tub down by 1" in length, which I didn't think was that big of a deal. But here I am getting ready to cross the finish line and now I can't even hang doors. Its very upsetting. I have emailed Frank and have posted my disappointment on this forum, but I have not heard from him yet. Not sure what he can do for me as I've already install it and painted it. Waiting to hear back from you @FloridaFJ80

Last edited:
It sucks that these projects take to long to A-receive parts and 2- to get to the point in a project when you realize a major part won’t work...

I haven’t fitted my doors yet... this week probably. my first tub also came strapped on its side on a wooden pallet... very loosely....I can’t imsgine cutting 1” out of the rear tub. I thought it was way too much work considering what I payed...

i first ordered my tub in 2015 . after receiving two tubs that were both garbage and the second tub 1/2 too long in the half tub
i lost patience. frank sent me a replacement 1/2 tub to fix my tub as getting another tub was no longer a possibility because he had no staff to build the tubs. whatever. in the end I sold my 1/2 tub for 1000 and am trying to unload the full tub to someone to recoup my losses.
of course I have told the buyer the issue.

Landcruiser heaven is not a company to buy tubs from period. they offer other services and parts. I would start there if at all. but tubs. no thank you.

1. You should have gone cool cruisers or teseven. Taking a chance on such a expensive item was a big risk.
2. What's done is done and I find myself doing similar things and getting in the same type of jams so I know how you feel.
3. Measure and see where exactly at which point the tub is 1" longer and show us pics so we can help you get if fixed.
4. If they really said cut a 1" off thats pretty bad business. Hopefully lc heaven will chime in. The owner is on mud and seems like a reasonable guy.
Who is teseven? I am looking for a reputable place for a full fj40tub.

Who is teseven? I am looking for a reputable place for a full fj40tub.
Honestly at this point I would recommend either cool cruisers or aqualu for a tub. The Teseven tubs from the last one I've seen has some concerning fitment issues. If u need a cowl I would probably recommend restoring the cowl if you are really wanting to stick to a steel cowl. Teseven is a cruiser body part shop in france.

Honestly at this point I would recommend either cool cruisers or aqualu for a tub. The Teseven tubs from the last one I've seen has some concerning fitment issues. If u need a cowl I would probably recommend restoring the cowl if you are really wanting to stick to a steel cowl. Teseven is a cruiser body part shop in france.
Thank you very much for the reply.......it seems Aqualu is the cheapest....but is there any truth to all the concerns I have heard about an aluminum body as far as electrical grounding and resale?

Thank you very much for the reply.......it seems Aqualu is the cheapest....but is there any truth to all the concerns I have heard about an aluminum body as far as electrical grounding and resale?
With any tub, including the aqualu tubs, vehicle value is usually hand in hand with the quality of the installation/body work and attention to detail. Some of the most expensive fj40s on the market have aqualu tubs(icon fj40s). Personally I think the biggest thing in attention to detail on a aqualu in fitting a steel factory trans tunnel similar to how I did in my build: Builds - Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build
Although my intention was not a 100 % stock restoration, I did want mine to look like a modified steel tub, which few people notice its aluminum. The aqualu does not have the factory floor ribs, once carpet or mats are installed, few people notice except for hard core fj40 people which are few and far between. Also properly getting all the lines to match up straight and doors and hard top is all somewhat time consuming but makes for a valuable and lasting restoration job. I would not ground wires through an aluminum tub, but I didn't find that that much of a obstacle personally. A fj40 wire harness isnt very complicated and running a few grounds to the frame isn't hard.

With any tub, including the aqualu tubs, vehicle value is usually hand in hand with the quality of the installation/body work and attention to detail. Some of the most expensive fj40s on the market have aqualu tubs(icon fj40s). Personally I think the biggest thing in attention to detail on a aqualu in fitting a steel factory trans tunnel similar to how I did in my build: Builds - Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build
Although my intention was not a 100 % stock restoration, I did want mine to look like a modified steel tub, which few people notice its aluminum. The aqualu does not have the factory floor ribs, once carpet or mats are installed, few people notice except for hard core fj40 people which are few and far between. Also properly getting all the lines to match up straight and doors and hard top is all somewhat time consuming but makes for a valuable and lasting restoration job. I would not ground wires through an aluminum tub, but I didn't find that that much of a obstacle personally. A fj40 wire harness isnt very complicated and running a few grounds to the frame isn't hard.
I really do appreciate your indulgence one last time. Not that it is true...but if money was not a factor in which tub and cowl I get for a replacement....what would you personally go with?

I really do appreciate your indulgence one last time. Not that it is true...but if money was not a factor in which tub and cowl I get for a replacement....what would you personally go with?
Depends on the end goal. If you want 101% authentic tub then restore a original tub.

If u want 99.5% authentic, get a cool cruisers 3/4 tub to a good original cowl.

If u want 90% of the look of the original body go with a aqualu 3/4 or full tub and do a good installation. The other thing with aqualu is its fully welded compared to the steel tubs spot welded construction. So it's more robust against corrosive road spray chemicals that get on it and can better stand abuses to daily driving and offloading. With spot weld construction of a steel tub road spray can seep between the spot welds and start rust. It's also stronger overall than the steel tub.

If u plan on driving it every day in the salt belt-like Maine or Massachusetts throughout the winter and want maximum resistance to body corrosion then get a fiberglass gozzard tub. They are high quality.

That's my 2 cents.

Depends on the end goal. If you want 101% authentic tub then restore a original tub.

If u want 99.5% authentic, get a cool cruisers 3/4 tub to a good original cowl.

If u want 90% of the look of the original body go with a aqualu 3/4 or full tub and do a good installation. The other thing with aqualu is its fully welded compared to the steel tubs spot welded construction. So it's more robust against corrosive road spray chemicals that get on it and can better stand abuses to daily driving and offloading. With spot weld construction of a steel tub road spray can seep between the spot welds and start rust. It's also stronger overall than the steel tub.

If u plan on driving it every day in the salt belt-like Maine or Massachusetts throughout the winter and want maximum resistance to body corrosion then get a fiberglass gozzard tub. They are high quality.

That's my 2 cents.
Could not ask for more......I live in Floida....so will most likely go with Aqualu.....I have been looking at a thread of yours....and your tub looks great. Thank you for all your help!

@Humble1952 We have come a long way with our new tubs. It took a while to get where we are now. All our tubs are steel and have the correct stamping as original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom