Northern Illinois FJ40 Left for Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For many years I've been driving down this county road that had an old FJ40 sitting in the back yard. Finally one day I decided to knock on the door and talk to the owner. He was an old friendly guy who was happy to have me stop in. I asked him about the FJ40 and he got a big grin on his face and told me how much he loved that truck. He said he had driven it all over the country, and even to the top of Pike's Peak in it. One day it broke down and he parked it in the back yard and never got back to it. I asked him if he would be interested in selling it. He said he would be and wanted to know what I thought it was worth. I told him it probably wouldn't be much more than scrap value. He agreed and said how about $150.00. I couldn't shake his hand fast enough.

After pulling it home I discovered it had a SBC 350 in it. The engine would not turn over after sitting for so long. I pulled the spark plugs and put Marvel Mystery Oil in all the cylinders and let it sit for a few weeks. Every few days I would walk by and rock the tires (while leaving it in gear) to see if the engine would break free. After a few weeks it popped free!! I added a new carb, and a new fuel pump and it started right up!!! It only needed a new clutch master cylinder to get it moving down the road again!

Over all its in pretty good shape, but the rear tub is in really bad shape. The plan is to rebuild it from the frame up. Here is the starting point.

20141121_113554.jpg

20141121_113750.jpg

20141121_113849.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that thing looks way better than most of the cruisers I see out here in the rust belt. Nice find and good luck!

Jackpot and the Cruiser God's smile at your act of good grace.

Yep, you'll have some good "Cruiser Karma" for saving the poor soul of that neglected Backyard 40......I've spent a heck of a lot more and received much, much less. You scored with that purchase.

Wow, it is the best place to begin. A nominal purchase price and now to begin restoration. I am a purist , so with a 350 already there hurts me. I also admire the 350 conversion because it does change performance in an incredible way. Either way, enjoy and take pleasure in the fun of restoring the best 4x4 ever made. ( My opinion)

I started tearing down the interior and getting everything out of the truck. The jump seat are in almost perfect condition. The passenger seat looked ok, but the bottom of the drivers seat was shot. After bringing the seats into my work shop I could not shake the smell of mice pee/nest. It turned out that both seats had nests inside the seats behind the back metal plate.

20160324_053128_resized.jpg

20160324_173248_resized.jpg

20160326_131858_resized.jpg

I can't tell you how many I Land Cruisers that I've noticed sitting behind someones house. I never walked up to asked about them and wish I had. Now that we are almost empty nesters I've been looking around again and have been lucky enough to have found a few. I'm planning on doing the walk to see if I want to pursue them or not. Nice find and a heck of a good deal. Enjoy it and thanks for the inspiration.

Wow , can't believe I ever missed it . Back in the early 90's I worked construction all over that area and had seen at least 3 Cruisers running around - one was brown , maybe the same truck back then...?
There used to be a white soft top just north/northwest of Cortland on a farm , too...
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom