2F Valve Covers are Different? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
I need to purchase a valve cover for the 75 2F I'm sending out for rebuild/upgrade. I am seeing listings for them with date ranges for compatibility... So a valve cover from a 80 2F won't fit a 78??? :confused:

There are only 2 different styles of VCs.
75-80 is taller and has oil fill a few inches back from front.
81-87 is low- rise and has threaded oil fill cap at front corner.

Note that there is a running change in 1978, oil fill cap changes from push in rubber plug to threaded plastic cap. Get the later threaded one if available.

@FJ40Jim is correct , This is the only cover for me ...........

DSCN5635.JPG

He copied my idea , I was first :popcorn:

DSC_0024.JPG

It looks like the OP has purchased an 81-87 VC.
To fit the tall 75 rockerstands & hardware, as well as the air cleaner, a 75-80 VC is needed.

Craaaap! Are you saying I got the wrong one after all? I have a 78 2F. So that means the 80-87 is too short for the rockers?

FWIW:

Below is VC with the screw in cap that @FJ40Jim suggest for the 2F's that require the taller covers.

IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG

Note, I had an '86 2F rebuilt. I installed the taller rocker studs for the taller VC so my '77 carb and air cleaner assembly aligned.

IMG_1314.jpg

FWIW:

Below is VC with the screw in cap that @FJ40Jim suggest for the 2F's that require the taller covers.

Note, I had an '86 2F rebuilt. I installed the taller rocker studs for the taller VC so my '77 carb and air cleaner assembly aligned.

View attachment 1637066

Thanks GA. So it sounds like the 80-87 vc I just bought will not fit my application (78 2f). Is it possible to modify the 78 head to fit under the vc? I know that sounds a bit backwards, but I am having my builder go through the block and the head anyways, so I am curious before I beg for a return on the vc I just got off ebay.

Thanks GA. So it sounds like the 80-87 vc I just bought will not fit my application (78 2f). Is it possible to modify the 78 head to fit under the vc? I know that sounds a bit backwards, but I am having my builder go through the block and the head anyways, so I am curious before I beg for a return on the vc I just got off ebay.

Seems like I read not too long ago about someone using a short VC on an earlier 2F engine and had no issues. However, they were not using the same type of carb & air cleaner as I have. May want to search for that thread before you send that VC back....

Seems like I read not too long ago about someone using a short VC on an earlier 2F engine and had no issues. However, they were not using the same type of carb & air cleaner as I have. May want to search for that thread before you send that VC back....

Thanks! I'll try to find that post, lemme know if you come across it again, will ya?

I mostly concerned with rocker clearance mentioned in Jim's post since I am not using anything stock in regards to carb or air cleaner. I just purchased a TBI kit from Affordable Fuel Injection and will use a simple round ac OR build a custom cold air setup using parts from K&N or AirRaid.

It was actually a 1F engine. Take a look at this thread: 2F Aluminum Valve Cover on a 1F engine

Thanks! It SEEMS like that post suggests that internal rocker arm clearance isn't an issue if I choose to do this. I asked the question on the post just to be sure. These things are going for 120+ all cleaned up and painted/coated, so I really don't want to do the whole trial and error approach on this.

Thanks! It SEEMS like that post suggests that internal rocker arm clearance isn't an issue if I choose to do this. I asked the question on the post just to be sure. These things are going for 120+ all cleaned up and painted/coated, so I really don't want to do the whole trial and error approach on this.
What was the final outcome on the valve cover?

What was the final outcome on the valve cover?

I decided I was sweating over nothing and stuck with the one that came on my engine. :D
IMG_20200411_135651.jpg
From what I have learned since, it doesn't matter. 2F valve cover is a 2F valve cover.

I have both valve covers. I powder coated the original now it has a very very slight warp in it.

Sounds like the powder coating oven was too hot. Mine did not warp.

Looks like your making progress Tony 👍

Thanks! I am trying... I feel like it is taking FOR-EV-ER to get this thing done! But I have put time into the project just about every month since I started. I'm at a different stage than that pic. Project Bighorn I am hoping to have the body work finished and the rub and panels back on the chassis in Jan. We will weld up the cage, seat cradles, sliders, custom bumpers, and pre-plum the wiring and, fuel and brake lines. Then I hope to have it in the paint booth in the summer. Fingers crossed I'll get a first start before it goes to paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom