2F Aluminum Valve Cover on 1F Engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good call that was @David1947

However, even your site says it won't work, so I'm still wondering :)

Works on mine. I don't see any marks on the inside of the valve cover to indicate any clearance issues. Just had it off last week checking the valve clearances.

Mike, do you have the rear breather "port" plugged on your 2f valve cover? Thanks.

The close up shot was before I had the hoses connected. If you look on the engine bay shot you will see that port connected to the air cleaner via a black rubber hose.

Works on mine. I don't see any marks on the inside of the valve cover to indicate any clearance issues. Just had it off last week checking the valve clearances.

Huh..

I'm going to have to give that a try now :)

There's a kit being offered on Ebay. Gasket, washers, and nuts for $69 + $9 shipping. All OEM. Seems high to me. Yes?
That's a decent deal, I have been following the price of these for 37 years and that is average price just for the cover let alone, new gasket, oil fill cap, 4 grommets and acorn nuts, tax handling and shipping. Good upgrade if you are modifying your engine and not keeping it stock. John

Also, saw where another member here on MUD added a filter to the rear valve cover port and added one myself. I realize the PCV valve draws fumes through the engine to the carb and I thought the filter was a good idea to keep dirt and crud out of the crankcase. Is my thinking correct?

DSCN0272.JPG

That breather is better in the air cleaner but it does work.

Shiney valve covers... so nice. Did you guys with the polished valve covers seal it up with a clear powder coat?

My F155 ran well when I got it but the stamped valve cover leaked badly. It had clearly been over tightened and warped. I replaced it right away with a 2F cover. GM engines these are based off often just use vents. I had some double elbow thing rigged up but ended up replacing it with a K&N 62-1340 vent filter and put a vacuum cap on the intake. On the air cleaner its just a 5/8" doorman cap. Its a much cleaner look.
img_8300-jpg.1383111

Hey everyone. So I have a post going about a 78 2F I am rebuilding for my 68 and am still confused as to whether the low profile valve covers will work. I read through this post, but maybe I missed it somehow... I am hoping for yes/no answers so I know how to proceed...

Question: Will a low profile valve cover from 80 and newer 2F work with my 78 2F?

Question: Will I have clearance issues under / inside the valve cover?

Question: I am having my engine shop completely strip, clean, and rebuild both the block and the head. Will my 78 accept 1980+ rocker assemblies that will alleviate any clearance issues?

Qualifiers: I will NOT be using a carb, or OEM air cleaner. I am putting TBI on this build, so I am not worried about external clearances, just the rockers.

Hey everyone. So I have a post going about a 78 2F I am rebuilding for my 68 and am still confused as to whether the low profile valve covers will work. I read through this post, but maybe I missed it somehow... I am hoping for yes/no answers so I know how to proceed...

Question: Will a low profile valve cover from 80 and newer 2F work with my 78 2F?

Question: Will I have clearance issues under / inside the valve cover?

Question: I am having my engine shop completely strip, clean, and rebuild both the block and the head. Will my 78 accept 1980+ rocker assemblies that will alleviate any clearance issues?

Qualifiers: I will NOT be using a carb, or OEM air cleaner. I am putting TBI on this build, so I am not worried about external clearances, just the rockers.

Im pretty sure you need the taller one

"Back to tech. Only thing I would add to the previous postings that is not obvious from MY engine bay pic is that I have doubled up two 2F PCV hoses to span the reach from the 2F valve cover to the F air cleaner.

Best

Mark[/QUOTE]

So that is the trick. Been running the 75-80 tall 2F cover on my F155 for 20 years. Great upgrade over the original. For years I ran a Holley with small round aircleaner and a separate vent. Then found a Aisan carb and 2F air cleaner. Hooked the vent up with an old preformed heater hose that had been replaced on my FJ60. Then I went back to a 1F air cleaner and fixed up the vent with a 5/8 splice piece and two preformed heater hoses I found at NAPA. Didn't realize the same trick could be performed with two stock vent hoses. So far the heater hose has held up in the various combos I have run it, always wondered if the fuel vapor would kill them.

Only problems I have had with the 2F cover has been getting the gasket to stay in the groove and not fall off while inverting during installation. Usually stick it on with some silicone. Also had the gasket crack/split at the back of the block, it pours oil out the back when the happens.

I also use a better oil cap, an expanding "T" handle plug like is found on heavy equipment. Never understood why Toyota used a push in rubber plug on that cover. All others were thread in.

For the OP, seems like a great deal to me for what is included. I think I paid at least $35 22 years ago at Classic Cruisers for just the cover.

I did the same modification to my '70 40 earlier this year. Became weary of the leaking original valve cover. Spent $40 from another member, bought the gasket for a few dollars and had it sand blasted then painted. The threaded studs were to long so I used the replacement rubber gaskets around the studs and reused the original valve cover nuts. May not look like it should with the proper acorn nuts but it stopped the oil seepage and I believe it looks much better.

View attachment 1265919
Hey thanks for the info but I'm kind of confused. Which "replacement rubber gaskets" did you use?

Thanks in advance!

Check out SOR 050-55B-KIT. Gasket and grommets.

Also, saw where another member here on MUD added a filter to the rear valve cover port and added one myself. I realize the PCV valve draws fumes through the engine to the carb and I thought the filter was a good idea to keep dirt and crud out of the crankcase. Is my thinking correct?

View attachment 1422135

Hey guys, I was thinking of doing this to my 1.5F and am a bit unclear after going through this thread: Dave's later, shorter 2F cover fits this early F just fine but can anybody say for certain if the rocker assembly is different between early-F and 1.5F? if it's the same I'd like to do exactly as his pic above.

Hey guys, I was thinking of doing this to my 1.5F and am a bit unclear after going through this thread: Dave's later, shorter 2F cover fits this early F just fine but can anybody say for certain if the rocker assembly is different between early-F and 1.5F? if it's the same I'd like to do exactly as his pic above.
I'm not sure if this addresses your question or not: I purchased a 1975-1978 OEM 2F Aluminum valve cover (used) from @65swb45 and it fits fine on our 1970 F155. The gasket that I used is Part Number 11213-61010.

I'm not sure if this addresses your question or not: I purchased a 1975-1978 OEM 2F Aluminum valve cover (used) from @65swb45 and it fits fine on our 1970 F155. The gasket that I used is Part Number 11213-61010.

Thanks, but I think mine is a bit different: I have a 1974 and was hoping to use the '80+ valve cover with the raised lettering (a bit shorter than the early-2F valve cover you've got).

Thanks, but I think mine is a bit different: I have a 1974 and was hoping to use the '80+ valve cover with the raised lettering (a bit shorter than the early-2F valve cover you've got).
Looks like it can work, but I am not sure if he used the other rocker arms or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom