Dual gas tank AUX TANK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey another stup[id question time, ready?? K, I bought an OEM dual filler for aux tank the other day, and today this is listed does anyone have experience with this set up and will it work?? Im trying to lose the spare and gas tanks on rear bumper but I drive and she needs gas. Let me know please.

This is a subtank from a 105 with straps which is related to the 80 series you could say. Can be used on an 80 series like George did. Here is some info on this model tank from his website:
"The 105 subtank appears to be slightly larger.
  • The 105 is advertised to be 65 liters (approx. 17.2 U.S. gallons) as compared to the 50 L (13.2 gal) for the 80 series tank. This may not be correct though, since all Australian references to the 105 series state the subtank to be 50L in capacity.
  • The 105 tank support straps are too long.
    Designed for mounting on the 105, the support straps are approx. 1-2 inches too long for the 80. The original 80 straps are contoured for the 80 tank, and will not fit the contours of the 105 tank, so the 105 straps appear to be the only solution but require some creative modifications to mount the tank securely.
    " Check out his website for info: Auxiliary tank

Well you may have to fab some straps or get a Isuzu tank there is a thread on here about that

Reactions: RFB
I believe the 80 and 105 series sub tanks are the same capacity.
I've had both on the ground side by side looking at fitting one into a HDJ81 with no sub tank, but was about 9yrs ago.

Size is the same, shape is slightly different. Connections for fuel level sensor and fuel pump are different, I think filler hose connection has a slightly different orientation, breather hose connection points are different too.

I upgraded the standard 50 litre sub tank in my HZJ105 by swapping in a 90 litre rear tank from a early 2000s Prado (did USA get Prados?)
The prado tank is a very basic rectangular shape, it required a few basic modifications (some with a FBH), and some fabri-cobbled hanging straps to suit, but was done in a couple of hours.

I think if you are looking at using a 50 litre 105 tank in an 80, for the work involved, I'd search for a larger capacity, generic shaped tank you can make work.

20160619_175322-jpg.1278044

The 105 runs the same chassis as the 80, so it should fit between the rails just fine. However, the tank is mounted to the body instead of the chassis so mounting holes are most likely different. Also, as mentioned, connections for related hardware are most likely different different as well.

USA Didn't get Prados or 70 series, shame, both Tanks are great for installing as sub tanks in the spare tire location.

IMHO, tanks are the easy part. You already have the hardest part to source or have properly fabricated: the OEM Filler Neck.

You can make a custom tank, buy a Long Ranger (MAF?) unit or fabricate mounts for a different vehicle's gas tank. A trip to the local pick and pull should yield a bunch of results.

The 105 runs the same chassis as the 80, so it should fit between the rails just fine. However, the tank is mounted to the body instead of the chassis so mounting holes are most likely different. Also, as mentioned, connections for related hardware are most likely different different as well.

USA Didn't get Prados or 70 series, shame, both Tanks are great for installing as sub tanks in the spare tire location.

IMHO, tanks are the easy part. You already have the hardest part to source or have properly fabricated: the OEM Filler Neck.

You can make a custom tank, buy a Long Ranger (MAF?) unit or fabricate mounts for a different vehicle's gas tank. A trip to the local pick and pull should yield a bunch of results.
Yea Im really gun shy of man a fre, bought a set of "extended brake lines" and they were junk as did @ajax1 both of us got blown off completly by MAF

Yup never again man a fre tried ya twice, worse service ever @RFB

Auxiliary tank Should cover your 105 issues.... (the top few lines of the install guide).

This is information from a guy that tried to install one near 15 years ago...

cheers,
george.

Jesus, that is clean man.

Thanks. It is totally dirty right now. I need to get it back in the air and clean it and get some protectant on everything before it goes to sh*t again.

Yup never again man a fre tried ya twice, worse service ever @RFB
Just sad they claim they are "extended" lines they were NOT cheap and they didnt reach.

Im good with a wrench or welder but Im not able to make a tank. Id love to but its over my pay grade currently

Being able to go nearly 500 miles between fill ups is pretty awesome :). The fact that I have only been out to CO once with that set up is not so awesome :(.

Being able to go nearly 500 miles between fill ups is pretty awesome :). The fact that I have only been out to CO once with that set up is not so awesome :(.
I love your thumbnail quote I do just that a living spree I try at least.

Im good with a wrench or welder but Im not able to make a tank. Id love to but its over my pay grade currently

Get an Isuzu tank and make straps

I agree, that is one nice underbelly. Wish mine was half that nice.

Disagree completely, poor bastard clearly has no time to use his truck;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom