Who’s smashed there gas tank in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I smashed my tank in on the rubicon and I am trying to think of a way to pull it back down any ideas? My float is stuck at half tank also but the low level light still works
7B216B46-24B6-4417-9868-908E461AF5B3.jpeg
E2D39F3A-1B5F-4E0D-BEC1-B9519F5EF776.jpeg

I smashed one worse than that directly beneath the pump/sending unit and all worked well until decided to swap the tank with a spare I had a couple years later. Then I dented that tank about like your photo and it works well. Yours doesn’t appear from the photos to be bad enough to affect the sending unit arm or to even be concerned about.

I smashed one worse than that directly beneath the pump/sending unit and all worked well until decided to swap the tank with a spare I had a couple years later. Then I dented that tank about like your photo and it works well. Yours doesn’t appear from the photos to be bad enough to affect the sending unit arm or to even be concerned about.
I didn’t think so either but on my way home the gas gage won’t is till right above half tank then it’s stuck .

Sounds like you will have to drain the tank, pull the pump and get a look at what’s going on inside.

I've done this many times, usually when smashed up it will deflect the baffles which interferes with the sender. Easiest way to fix is pull the sender and bend the baffles through the sender hole. If your feel like it you can also get creative and press the tank bottom down through the hole.

Don't have to drain the tank to do it either.

Pull the pump from inside, then reach in and push the tank down.

Remove the cover from the bottom and pound it straight separately from the tank.

Pull the pump from the second row then get a wood stick like a clothing rod & pound it out.
If you go with a body lift, it pulls the tank up above the frame. Now you can put on a flat belly plate strait to the frame.
Mine is smashed in the rear from a rock on Dusy, lost about 2 gallons of capacity from it, but my gauge still works though...

I still don’t understand how no one has made a gas tank skid for these🙄
@TRAIL TAILOR has taken over the Cruzin Offroad product line from Canada. These plates give the most coverages of anything I've seen besides custom. I'm sure he can make an extended plate for under the tank.

Screenshot_20230826-124634_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230826-130533_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Man your driveshaft is really candy-caned, is it still ok?

I run the cruisin off road skids. They do offer the best coverage but I’ve bent it up a few time and now ready to beef it up 😉

Both front and rear are now 1/4" grade 50 steel.

Previously they were 3/16 and 1/4" grade 36 steel.

Can I swap my older grade 36 plate for the new grade 50 plate? Seems reasonable to me……..

@TRAIL TAILOR
Have you thought about making a 3rd skid for the gas tank? You could incorporate gliders into the rear link mounts. I know it would be tricky with stock exhaust.

Last edited:
I don’t hit mine anymore very often it’s been clearanced 😂 has anybody ever heard of using air to pressurize the tank? My fuel gauge also stopped working. I’m guessing it’s the float jammed up in there. I plan to move my fuel tank behind the axle next winter.

CFE010EB-65BF-42C8-AC7B-714A58E57D12.jpeg

I don’t hit mine anymore very often it’s been clearanced 😂 has anybody ever heard of using air to pressurize the tank? My fuel gauge also stopped working. I’m guessing it’s the float jammed up in there. I plan to move my fuel tank behind the axle next winter.

View attachment 3416955
In my mind the gas tank is helping to protect the drive shaft.
Same with the fat a** stock muffler.

In my mind the gas tank is helping to protect the drive shaft.
Same with the fat a** stock muffler.
Swapping in my new spare driveshaft today. Going wheelin this weekend.. It’s beat . 😂 even the slip yoke has a dent.

My 80 is loud and has an annoying drone at highway speeds..but it tucked up tight to the body.. it has new exhaust from the manifolds down inside the frame all the way back. Deleted the factory rear heater tubing and the heater under seat.

00065AF7-CD82-4518-A849-8AB632265E28.jpeg

61E217BE-EFD9-408D-945A-F34D6563ECEB.jpeg

A7A75D45-887E-47D8-8FA6-A47E44340A27.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha
I have been swapping drive shaft also.
#1) really nice highway only
#2) beater for the trail
#3) really beat trail spare I keep in the trailer just in case or to share with someone else to get them off the trail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom