front drive shaft too short after lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
I was under the 40 checking trans lube and noticed I could see about 3/4" of splines on my front shaft.
Shafts modified after 350 put in back in '85. Recent install of 2 1/2" lift, I guess this is the result? no splines observed before lift, and it has been over many trails. Only one here in Colorado since the lift... so it's gotta be that? Otherwise the shaft is ok with no pivot wobble and did not fall out. I'm trying to visualize how the lift would have caused that. Shaft now off for cleanup and then get lengthed. I can see grease line where it used to be. What is proper way to measure needed length?

Jack up the frame so your axle drops as much as possible. Measure the distance from the center of the tcase drive flange to the center of the diff drive flange.

If you can compress your suspension I the bumpstops and do the same measurement it will give the other extreme.

Do the same measurement at static height.

All of these details will tell the drive shaft shop how long to make it.

if you have a mig welder you can do it yourself , there is an american size tube that fit perfect over stock fj40 shaft ,
you just need to cut your driveshaft tube in the middle and slip the new (longer) tube over and weld next to the factory weld
i drive this set-up in the front for many years with no vib :hillbilly:, and for highway , the locking hub are turn off

if you have a mig welder you can do it yourself , there is an american size tube that fit perfect over stock fj40 shaft ,
you just need to cut your driveshaft tube in the middle and slip the new (longer) tube over and weld next to the factory weld
i drive this set-up in the front for many years with no vib :hillbilly:, and for highway , the locking hub are turn off

Wonder where I could get a tube like that? Sounds like a good method.

Or you could just bring it to a driveshaft shop and walk away with confidence that it’s not going to pull apart at highway speeds. It’s cheap insurance and the rear shaft is the one to worry about vibrations with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom