Bolt on turbo kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We need an update and more pics.

Hey Ryan, I’m about to repackage my birfs and am wondering if a rehear is a good idea regards adding the turbo, I’m currently running 35’s on stock gears

I am at the exact same situation, front axle apart, 35s going on and wondering about gears. 4.88s or 5.29s? Want to go with 37s someday, but afraid the front axle and factory lockers are not up to it. Will probably go to 285/75R18s when the 315 Duratracs finally wear out.

Are 5.29s too low with 35s? Trying to figure out the best compromise between towing a travel trailer over mountain passes and unloaded on 80 mph freeways.

IMO 5.29 are too low for 35's without a turbo and way too low with a turbo. I found the turbo did really well with stock gears. Running 265 and 315 tires.

If you plan to regear anyway for low range, go for it. But if you're regearing more for highway pep, you might want to hold off and see how you like 35's plus turbo first. I'm sure it would be good either 4.10 or 4.88.

3+ years on 315 Duratracs and stock gears. No desire/want for lower gears on the highway. Like Heckraiser said if you want to do it for off-road that is always a welcome bonus but yeah I would think 5.29 with 35's and a turbo would be completely unnecessary.

If I knew I was staying with 35's I would just get the lower TC gears. But ultimately with my truck I would like 39's and big fender cutting so I am going to go to 5.29's and lower TC gears.

I am at the exact same situation, front axle apart, 35s going on and wondering about gears. 4.88s or 5.29s? Want to go with 37s someday, but afraid the front axle and factory lockers are not up to it. Will probably go to 285/75R18s when the 315 Duratracs finally wear out.

Are 5.29s too low with 35s? Trying to figure out the best compromise between towing a travel trailer over mountain passes and unloaded on 80 mph freeways.

I am running 4.88's with 315/75R16's (35ish)
I WILL be doing the turbo kit.

I like the gearing and cruising RPM but it is still under powered. I am looking forward to the extra power with this existing gear and tire.

I think people have a misconception about gearing. Yes it is necessary to restore drivability and properly use the power you do have but the overall feeling of how adequate the power is isn't that different.
With stock gearing you may have been able to pull a certain hill in 3rd just fine in the torque peak. Regeared you may be between 3rd and 4th but perfect on a different hill.

Many OE's are adding more gears to the transmissions. My new Raptor has a 10sp trans. My older one has a 6sp. the final drive in top gear is about the same on each. the new one is ALWAYS in the correct gear. So if you don't use top gear effectively then regear

Yes Dylan WILL be getting one.

I have to put another big thank you out there to Dylan for stepping up and putting his money where his mouth is and pre-ordering a turbo kit!

Like I have said I don't have much say in the progress or speed of the kit's production but I have to think that without some outstanding members it wouldn't have happened at all. So when this happens and you end up with a Turbo, make sure you shake Dylan's hand/buy him a drink/pick up his dinner, when you see him. lol.

On my old 84 PU I have 5.29's. I've broken them a couple times. The poor little pinion gear only has 7 teeth and is pissed. Because of that I am gun shy of going to low because for strength and had no intentions of going to 37's.......after the turbo though???

Haha yeah 5.29s might not be a good move since they are 37/7, 4.88 and TC gears should be fine. lol

On my old 84 PU I have 5.29's. I've broken them a couple times. The poor little pinion gear only has 7 teeth and is pissed. Because of that I am gun shy of going to low because for strength and had no intentions of going to 37's.......after the turbo though???

?!? Huh what? Clarity
You want 37's after your 35's wear out but you may go 33"?!?
Makes no sense here. I say no regear till you have the FI in place. Happy camper with only 5lb boost via sc and have only wanted gears offroad = tcase for me.

FWIW i would not want 5.29 period but would question 4.88 with boost. The lowest i would go. Personally id rather focus on low range gears. Depends in how much highway time you do en route to destination.

Yes Dylan WILL be getting one.

I have to put another big thank you out there to Dylan for stepping up and putting his money where his mouth is and pre-ordering a turbo kit!

Hell i had already figured him for the silent partner haha

285/75R18 (Eighteen), a true 35”

• Tire SizeLT285/75R18
  • Product Code312059142
  • Speed RatingQ
  • Load Index129
  • Load RangeE
  • SidewallBlack
  • Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG)
  • Max Load (lbs)4,080
  • Max Inflation Pressure (PSI)80
  • Approved Rim Width (in.)7.5 - 9.5
  • Measured Rim Width (in.)8.0
  • Section Width (in.)11.2
  • Tread Depth (in 32nds)18
  • Outside Diameter (in.)35.1
  • Revs Per Mile

Well the only update that I have, is that the shop bought a whole bunch of new OEM parts that will be included in the kits. They purchased enough to have 25 complete turbo sets. This way you do not have to reuse anything and you have all fresh new components to bolt together. Hell you're getting a brand new oil sender that alone is worth it ;) This is even more anal than I am! Haha.

Toyota OEM parts.
• SENDER, OIL PRESSURE
• VALVE, CHECK BRAKE BOOSTER
• GROMMET, CHECK VALVE
• GASKET, EXHAUST MANIFOLD
• GASKET, EXHAUST MANIFOLD #2
• NUT, LOCK (DOWN PIPE)
• STUD, HEX LOBULAR (DOWN PIPE)
• BOLT, STUD (MANIFOLD TO HEAD)
• NUT, LOCK (MANIFOLD TO HEAD)
• VALVE, CHECK (CHARCOAL CANISTER)
• GASKET, DOWN PIPE

Well the only update that I have, is that the shop bought a whole bunch of new OEM parts that will be included in the kits. They purchased enough to have 25 complete turbo sets. This way you do not have to reuse anything and you have all fresh new components to bolt together. Hell you're getting a brand new oil sender that alone is worth it ;) This is even more anal than I am! Haha.

Toyota OEM parts.
• SENDER, OIL PRESSURE
• VALVE, CHECK BRAKE BOOSTER
• GROMMET, CHECK VALVE
• GASKET, EXHAUST MANIFOLD
• GASKET, EXHAUST MANIFOLD #2
• NUT, LOCK (DOWN PIPE)
• STUD, HEX LOBULAR (DOWN PIPE)
• BOLT, STUD (MANIFOLD TO HEAD)
• NUT, LOCK (MANIFOLD TO HEAD)
• VALVE, CHECK (CHARCOAL CANISTER)
• GASKET, DOWN PIPE

He folks, I live down under. Have a 1994 1fzfe (flapper MAF) with all standard except I have dual fuel, vapour injection lpg.

1. Is anyone who drives on my side of the road gonna fit this kit?
2. Do you foresee and interference with the steering column booster or other items?
3. Any idea how much to ship to Geelong, Vic, AU?
4. Any considerations for dual fuel (EMER).

BTW: add me to the queue for one of these kits? Gr8 effort!

He folks, I live down under. Have a 1994 1fzfe (flapper MAF) with all standard except I have dual fuel, vapour injection lpg.

2. Do you foresee and interference with the steering column booster or other items?

I'm same as you, 97' 1fzfe with SVI LPG, auto and I'd like a turbo and 35's. will this kit work with a RHD 80 @scottryana ?

It is really impossible for us to know at this point if the kit would work for the Australian guys. We don't have a right hand truck to mock anything off of, that and the fact you have different ECU's would just make it too hard to give you a firm answer that yes it would work. It might work, but really I have no idea. Sorry!

I think your best bet is to join the Turbo 1FZFE Facebook page, it is mostly guys there in Australia that have worked with shops that could probably help you out.

I'm same as you, 97' 1fzfe with SVI LPG, auto and I'd like a turbo and 35's. will this kit work with a RHD 80 @scottryana ?

JJdeneen,

The shop building this kit, offered up a pre-order for $500 off for the first person willing to take it. The pre-order was to help with development and procurement costs. Things like all the OEM parts to put in the kits, were close to $5k alone, then you add in a dozen turbos, etc. I think at this point the shop is all set though.

Pre order you say?? Do tell...

How long you gonna wait to give us the name of the shop? Time to start stalking them.

This is why the shop wants to be quiet until they have a finished product. ;)

How long you gonna wait to give us the name of the shop? Time to start stalking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom