My Baby's Cummin(s) Along (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm super excited about this. I learned of this motor literally the day after I welded in the mounts for a V8. Depending on how this goes for you, this may be going into my next project, whatever it ends up being...

Been practicing tig welding on stainless exhaust tubing. Goes pretty well when the tig decides to work , which seems to be less frequently now.
I just ordered R2.8 to Chevy LS (Gen III & IV) conversion kit. When I receive it I can start making some real progress.

Adapter.JPG

Hey John, will be watching very closely ... just ordered the R2.8, and like you will be running the NV4500 to a 84 split case and as well ordering the same AA kit mentioned above. You still using the VN4500 with the above Axis kit correct ?

Cheers
Steve

Hey John, will be watching very closely ... just ordered the R2.8, and like you will be running the NV4500 to a 84 split case and as well ordering the same AA kit mentioned above. You still using the VN4500 with the above Axis kit correct ?

Cheers
Steve

Absolutely!
They'll have to pry my NV4500 from my cold dead fingers.

I very interested in this project as well. I have a stock F engine and 3 speed transmission. Would love to upgrade poor “Owen” while I have in pieces.

Keep the posts coming.

Thanks,

Well, Axis says they can't ship on time. Some problem with a supplier. Supposed to ship next week. Depending on when it ships, it will probably be 2 more weeks before I can do anything constructive.

Subscribed...again. The idea of this conversion is ummm... well... almost xxx rated.

:banana::banana::banana:;)

John ... these guys (Axis) and AA must be getting from the same place as they are both waiting for the conversion kit

Steve

John ... these guys (Axis) and AA must be getting from the same place as they are both waiting for the conversion kit

Steve

Might be.
Did you order the AA version?

OK, tried the first (of many I'm sure) test fits.
Not too bad, but I'll need it bolted to the bell housing to be certain. I need to talk to Phoenix Casting and Machining tomorrow about the bell housing and flywheel adapters.

It almost looks like the frame mounts for the 327 will still work depending on the thickness of the adapter.

Two fitment issues are the oil pan and exhaust.
The engine looks a little high comparing the bell housing with the block and I can't lower the engine w/o the oil pan hitting the driveshaft.
The exhaust is on the passenger side against the frame rail. It can be clocked. I might have to clock it forward then go over the frame rail and through the running board support. Or I could do like my cousin and I were talking about yesterday and run a stack, that would simplify the exhaust routing.:eek:

I do have a lot of room to move the engine back if required. However, this would entail removing and reinstalling the torque tube, changing the transfer case support (which I'm going to do anyway), cutting the transmission cover and redoing both driveshafts...again. I'll know more when the adapter arrives.

Really disappointed in Cummins not including hard copy manuals. You have to register the engine serial number on their site and view the material online. The shipping manifest says manuals were included in the crate.

Motor mounts
View attachment 1562598
Exhaust
View attachment 1562600
Oil Pan to drive shaft
View attachment 1562601
Front clearance. Not much room for the intercooler unless I move the engine back.
View attachment 1562602

Just found your blog. Got my R2.8 a month ago. Going into a 2003 TJ. Building motor mounts tomorrow. I fabricated and machined my own bell housing from the Cummins to a NV3550.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.jpg

If I can figure out how to start one, I'll get it going.
Just found this site a few minutes ago.
Just click on the tab “Forums” and open the forum that fits with your project.
Once opened there will be a tab on the top right side of the screen where you can start a new thread.

@MXGreg Just be forewarned that some of the Toyota guys can get a bit fussy about Jeeps (speaking as a former TJ owner). ;)

John ... just waiting for them to have in stock, they said just a couple of weeks

Question .. what radiator and intercooler setup are you planning ?

Cheers
Steve

I have an aluminum radiator that I was using with the old engine. I may continue with it or possibly get a new one. The intercooler depends on how far back I can place the engine. So far it looks like 3" thick is going to be the max if I want to install it in front of the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom