Build coming along (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys back again. I have owned my LC for about 2-3 months. Things are coming along slowly, but surly. Found this winch today. Tires are next. Wondering what you guys thought about safari snorkels?

IMG_3706.jpeg

IMG_3694.jpeg

IMG_3644.jpeg

No snorkel.

Unless you have a legitimate reason for one. You wouldn't want to go cutting unnecessary holes in the metal of that rig anyway!

You know its really hard to keep a spark fired engine sealed up enough to run under water. And you need to route all the vents higher than the snorkel, but axles will still take in water as the cool from road heat to the water temp.

Nice looking rig - I had mine painted flat tan aka idaho dirt color.

Last edited:
There are a lot of off road vehicles out there with snorkels that have never seen a river crossing but the owner wants that "adventure look". I agree with Charley with the amount of work it takes to make an engine viable for that type of use. Personal taste on my part but I can't see cutting up a panel and putting one on just for looks.

No on the snorkel, save the money for gas and drive it every chance you get!

A low number of 1981 40 series were sold in the US relative to previous years.
Most have rusted away, you have a fine example on your hands.

Yeah a snorkel would be cool but also I am in the no snorkel group too. I think its better to keep this 40 original. especially since its getting harder and harder to find a unmolested fj40 these days. Edit: I also really hate dealing with holes that are cut into vehicles. on my 40 i have welded up so many holes from off road lights and crap.

Last edited:
I would say no to the dorkle. If the water is up to my hood, I'm gonna look for a go around. I've heard the argument that if the intake is up higher you will pull in less dust to your air filter. I've been bouncing around in the dust of the American west for many years, and the best thing you can do is give the rig in front of you more room. Be a shame to cut up that pretty 40.

I had one on my first 40. I like the look. You can always by a used apron, paint to match, cut hole for snorkel and keep the original apron hidden away.

A snorkel is a personal choice. Around here it would be peeled off the vehicle and laying on the side of the trail within the 1st 1/4 mile. Forget about dropping the windshield while trail riding too.

Welcome to Mud; nice truck.

I recognize Magnolia Street in Fort Worth.

You've done well to get an 8274 and a 4+ bumper.

And another hard "no" on the snorkle.

Lots of people put all kinds of things on their 40series … really comes down to what makes sense to you. If your drivetrain is bomber and needs nothing then at that point adding a bumper, rack, snorkel are just customizing to your unique ideas of what you want. Perhaps a few of those things are more functional than others. Look for deals just like you did for that Warn. Even if you don’t bolt it on right away. Enjoy the adventure!!

Have you found a good shop in the DFW area? There are some things I would like to do and just don’t have the time, but I am new to these parts and don’t know of any local shops that specialize in older cruisers. (I have an ‘84 FJ60)

Otherwise beautiful truck man, congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom