My HJ61 Rejuvenation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Roma,

Yes the camchaft shells have already been replaced. I got the engine shop to do that as it seemed difficult without the proper tool. I'm yet to find out how easily the camshaft will slide in. Even though I could theoretically install the oil baffle and sump now I'm holding off until the camshaft is back in case it needs some help to go in.

Overall the engine rebuild hasn't been too difficult and I reckon I've taken the right approach with it for a partial DIY job. Basically I've done all the disassembly myself, got a shop to do the block internals that require experience and special tools, now I'm the doing the preparation and final assembly myself. It's ending up the same result as a full shop rebuild but is costing a lot less and will probably be better presented than most due tothe time I'm taking with painting and prep.

So yeah I'm pretty happy with it. Just wish I had the camshaft now so I could finosh it off before I return to my next rotation at work!

Definitely went about it the right way tearing it all down. I'd hold off doing much more until that camshaft is finished. That was by far the worst part of reassembly for me. I installed the bearings myself and the shaft just wouldn't go without two of the bearings I believe needing to be filed in. I ended up getting the machine shop to help me with that after fighting it for two evenings and trashing the first set of bearings by trying to remove them thinking I'd installed them cockeyed. That was the only thing they did with the exception of hot tanking the block and polishing the crank and camshaft and checking them.

I picked up my other 12ht block from the machine shop today. It was a new old stock engine that got some moisture in one of the cylinders at some point so I had them bore it and hone to fit some 92mm pistons. Going to start reassembling the bottom end tomorrow.

Head on and rockers/cover temporarily fitted. Nearly ready for final prep then painting.

20170914_180219.jpg

20170914_180204.jpg

20170914_180156.jpg

Im blinded by the light!
Another question, that i have not found a good answer to, is that solenoid looking thingy on the injection pump.
What does it to? mine is not hooked up, sitting right above the idle up acuator.
Was yours hooked up in some fashion?

In the absence of a helper, I just used multiple straps to manoeuvre the engine into the right position.

One one the front to tweak the lateral angle:
20171027_133800.jpg

Another at the front to adjust the inclination:
20171027_133806.jpg

One under the gearbox to get that aligned right:
20171027_133829.jpg

And this blue one which pulls rearwards o help slide it home:
20171027_133842.jpg

There was another little trick also. I was struggling a little to get the bell housing lined up with the box. I'm lying there gazing up thinking "geez wouldn't it be great if there were a special tool to help line the holes up." Well I had a couple of long high tensile bolts kicking about, so I cut the heads off and rounded the ends off with the bench grinder. They screw into the holes on the rear of the bellhousing. This made alignment super easy. I used the lower two holes, got the engine slid home, bolted up the top mounts then removed these and bolted up the bottom mounts. One is intentionally longer than the other so one side engages first then the engine can be jiggled and rotated to engage the other.

20171027_153255.jpg

20171027_140730.jpg

20171027_133859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom