SBC Throttle cable ideas -FITech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

loiking for ideas in throttle cable on my SBC with FITech. Love the set up but the routing for cable is not optimal and she is getting a bit sticky off idle. Really noticed at 'crawl last weekend. I can pull her and soak it, or put a new cable in. What are you others using?

Marc

I had the same problem.

IMHO, if you tweak the angle on the bracket to make it closer to a straight pull it would work better.

I had the same problem.

IMHO, if you tweak the angle on the bracket to make it closer to a straight pull it would work better.

Thanks. Did you tweak at the base or closer to where the cable attaches. Thanks for the feedback.

Marc

My bracket was a little different and included a spot for the transmission kick down cable, but I did a cut and weld.

It looks like you might be able to put a spacer (nut?) under the front end of the bracket to change the angle.

Mine does a barrel roll too and adds more friction than it should. I ran it at an angle and used a stiff spring, both adding to the problem. I have a new 21 inch on order and I may try make some kind of pivot arm if its still an issue.

You just have to find the smoothest routing possible and keep the cable lubed. When I mounted my Edelbrock EFI I kept the factory throttle cable and made an adapter to attach it to the carb linkage.

DSC01513.JPG

You didn't show your return spring but if you're running a single spring you might try a double spring setup.

You just have to find the smoothest routing possible and keep the cable lubed. When I mounted my Edelbrock EFI I kept the factory throttle cable and made an adapter to attach it to the carb linkage.

View attachment 1559526

You didn't show your return spring but if you're running a single spring you might try a double spring setup.
I made a similar adapter and connected it with a Bicycle Brake cable. It may seem Getto now, but it was common place when I did my conversion in '96. It has been working great for the last 21 years. I have found that not all cables are created equal... and it pays to buy a quality one. Smooth bends should be fine... just avoid sharp bends.

View attachment 1559526

Thanks B Y R O N, I am using the pedal spring for return. Return is nonissue, it is sticky when I first give it the skinny pedal. Hard to feather when off-road.

Marc

Make sure the pedal pivot is well lubed, every thing gets crusty with time. Maybe a little more spring at the pedal would work feel better than a larger return spring at the carb too, pulling on the cable to return rather than pushing it. Just something to think about.

I had the same problem my fix which has worked for the past 10 years was to find a
Longer cable and make a big loop. My old one was short and would rev up when the body flexed. Wasn’t fun on off Camber situations. Old crapy pic I found from years ago.
Not pretty but it works great.
——
BA2CC946-7B1D-484D-A2BA-E27E0C75178C.jpeg

Lokar, throttle cable assembly, better quality than stock chevy.. smooth and adjustable for length..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom