how easy is the FJ60 to "hand crank start"? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
how easy is the FJ60 to "hand crank start"? also, is there a specific tool used to do this?
I'm assuming that is what that "hole" is in the lower front below the grill?

Depends on how well tuned it is.

I've done it before on a 2F in a 40, but not in a 60.

I thought that the radiator hangs down too far to actually hand crank a 60? Of course I've never attempted either...

Easier to hammer the starting rod through.

seeing how the rod won't fit, I'd consider parking on a hill and popping it into 2nd to start

I wonder.....could a guy take a rope and put it around the crank pulley and start it like an outboard motor?

Yes. You could start it like an outboard but things would have to be pretty desperate to have reached that point. Any method to spin the engine could work.

Don't forget the 'jack up one side of the rear axle and wrap a rope around one tire' method. Assuming you don't have an auto locker or spool back there. The size of the tire and axle gearing give you a much better mechanical advantage than anything you could wrap a rope around on the front of the engine.

My 2nd car was a 1961 Datsun B210 station wagon. Had a 1.2L I4 and a 3 spd on the column with synchro 1st gear.

It could be crank started, something I did on a regular basis in the high school parking lot. If a high school kid was going to drive something that strange, I figured I may as well max out my fellow students weird-stuff-meter. It worked.

Neat little car - wish I still had it.

1961 Datsun Bluebird 1gen Wagon (310) full range specs

My '78 FJ40 starts quite easily with a crank, but I have always started it warm. It always surprises me when it bursts to life with just a partial turn of the crank. It doesn't require superhuman strength.

The reason I ask is because I did as the guy above mentioned, used my fingers to turn the key the other day and it didn't start... dead battery, and seeing as how I'm in Houston, no hills to roll down to pop it off... so just wondering if it were possible

is-your-engine-over-heating-drillholes-in-your-radiator-to-17644199.png

In the motorcycle world if you have two bikes with center stands sometimes you can use one wheel to spin the other and start it this way. Might be harder with a 60. Better alternative is to keep a booster pack with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom