Builds fj62 gets a lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_4264.JPG

well crap

if it's not one thing it's another!! just saw this this morning. and i have marlin seals in there too!! pretty sure this is diff oil and not grease. i just rebuilt these a couple years ago!! how many miles should a guy get with normal road driving out of a knuckle rebuild?

IMG_4270.JPG
anyone have an idea what fuel pick up this is? the one i had put in had two lines. i was under the impression it was out of a bj60 but my new one i also understood was for a bj60 so not sure what i took out. this may explain the starving at 1/3 of a tank if it was the wrong pick up maybe it wasn't at the bottom of the tank

there's a tear in the screen and a bunch of crud stuck inside. i'm glad i put a new one in

i've got two problems sorted out today. i put my new speedometer cable in. when i tested the old one out of the truck it squeaked quite bad so i hope it's just the cable and not the gauge.
IMG_4271.JPG

i also found my fuel sending access under my dynamat to check the wiring. it all looked good but when i traced the wires into the drives side fender i found this inside...
IMG_4273.JPG

blue wire spliced in by PO broke off the red/yellow wire. (yellow red is the wire from the sending unit to the fuel gauge)

once i soldered it back together lo and behold my gauge works again!!
IMG_4274.JPG

Last edited:
quick update...speedometer works perfectly again. only 2km/hr difference from GPS at highway speed. fuel gauge works nicely which gives me much comfort. i'm also at 1/4 tank and no sign of starving at this point. gonna push it a little more empty to see what happens. next is sorting out a rather significant oil leak i've developed :(

edit: less that quarter tank and no signs of starving. i'm optomistic that problem is solved!!

Last edited:
again no starvation issues with my last tank!! very happy about that.

tonight i tried to fix a problem i'm having with my bluetooth microphone and found it looks like the plug on the back side of the deck is broken. not sure how that happened but some how i think the wire got pulled on and broke it. now i have to pull the hole deck to see if i can get it fixed.

i also got my rad hose water temperature sensor installed. it had already been cut with a simple pipe connector in between so i just swapped it out. 5 minute job!
IMG_4303.JPG

now i just have to wire it up

i've had some really poor light from my a headlight recently despite a good set of bulbs not long ago. pulled my bulb and found this!!
IMG_4310.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG

i have an IPF harness and the hella harness from it to the hella lights. the terminal that is corroded (well just plain missing) also melted the plastic spade terminal a bit too. the blade was still stuck in the harness. is this a bad bulb or symptom of something else? the bulb otherwise looks quite good

new bulb works fine. no blown fuses or anything else weird

Looks like it may have been a bad bulb but may want to ensure that there is no liquid getting in there that is allowing the terminal to corrode.

Good choice on the audio setup. I have a decent deck, amps and front Focals and it makes the miles go by nicely.

Since you're in this far, I recommend a better gauge setup than the factory quad cluster. VDO makes nice ones that have more of an OEM look. Mine is from an older marine line but the viewline onyx line is similar. I tend to watch gauges more closely with the HZ(-T) and it's nice to have some that respond quickly to reality. BTW I don't worry about pushing EGTs up to 1250 for short times. 1050 is my usual max though with 10psi max. I would think the HD-T has much better tolerance since it can flow more fuel.

IMG_2591.jpg

i have a zietronix gauge similar to you digital gauge. it has egt and boost set up right now. i have the fluid temp sensor in. just have to wire it up. the rest of the gauges in the quad cluster are ok to use but i want to know exact temps

IMG_4318.JPG

lambda and afr are kind of useless so i can change it to temp and maybe something else. i'm hoping fuel
pressure but that port may be used by boost. ill have to look into it a bit more

Last edited:
i don't really like fixing things a second time but that's what i'm doing tonight!!:bang:

i love my stereo and all the options but recently my hands free mic stopped working. i found that somehow the jack has been broken. the only way i can see that happening is by having the mic wire pulled on and i haven't been working up under my dash. anyway i pulled the stereo out ( now i've learned a valuable lesson. make sure there is extra wire available to move the deck out far enough to disconnect the harness. i had to pull my seats and centre console to get my wires loose so i could pull the deck. ill be adding an extra set of connections on the next install).
IMG_4324.JPG

the port in the middle of the picture shouldn't look like that. ill take it into a stereo repair shop tuesday. hope they can fix it!

while the seats were out i found a short in my heated seat wiring. now i can have a warm:moon: again. it's getting cold here!

i bought a set of these floor mat clips. i have carpet and floor mats from trailtailor but they slide around a bit so i want to anchor them. hope they work out. they're not too expensive but shipping doubles the cost. stupid shipping!! likely still cheaper then getting them from my local toyota dealer. not sure if i could even get the twist lock type. i know i can't get the grommets for the mats. i'd have to buy a whole mat as they are built in. ill update when i get them

IMG_4363.PNG
IMG_4364.PNG

winter is coming so winter tires back on. you know as much as i like the fun country tires and as awesome as the quality of the stealth wheels are there’s something about the duratracs on my rock crushers that have my heart. i love the look of this combination

73480E12-121D-4A84-B30C-57A6F3AF4906.jpeg

next spring when i pull them
off i’ll have to rebuild that knuckle. maybe ill have time to paint my axles too!

crank pulley rubber delaminated leaving a wobbly squeaky air conditioning belt. finally had time to pull it off. new one showed up in the mail yesterday. now the tight space fight to get it back in!!

2347AF53-CA79-4322-9566-882C20EDEB24.jpeg

well that turned out to be way easier than i thought.

i am super thankful for my webasto right now. it’s been -40-45C here for the past few days and my engine has started each day like a champ. i think i may play with the pins a bit though. apparently you can increase heat output that way.

maybe next year i’ll figure out a heated steering wheel

Last edited:
my fuel gauge stopped working again. i think i have the green monster in my wires so i cut the old section of harness from the sending unit back up into the rear wheel well and removed all the old spliced pieces from the PO. i build a new harness and the re ran it and soldered it back in. fuel gauge now working! i was getting a little nervous because my speedo cable popped off and without a fuel gauge i didn’t really know how much fuel i had and had no idea how far i’d gone since my last fill. ill reattach my speedo cable when i pull the dash apart again to reinstall my stereo if the shop ever fixes it!!

while i’m waiting for my deck to get fixed i started collecting some more parts for when i pull the dash apart. i ordered some switches and a bunch of led dash lights and a wheelskins cover. also some stuff for a special project i’ll do a write up on when it comes!!

always shopping for my trucks. it is a sickness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom