old mountain bike thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Patineto , please throw up a few pics of the Yeti, that's a very cool bike.
@spressomon , beauty Salsa!

My old mountain bike: '86 Brodie Romax, bought it new. One of the first 50 Paul Brodie built under his own name when every bike was a custom order. Has one of the first Deore XT gruppos with SIS to hit Canadian shores :D
It's been a great bike, 31 years of use, still ride it regularly.

IMG_1683 by bj70_guy, on Flickr

IMG_1685 by bj70_guy, on Flickr

cool pump peg
IMG_1691 by bj70_guy, on Flickr

Beautiful early Romax, Norm !!! I had an all yellow one though sadly it was too small......hoping to find another some day. In the meantime I am working on a 1989 Ritchey supercomp. Let me know if your's ever needs a new loving home ;)

Beautiful early Romax, Norm !!! I had an all yellow one though sadly it was too small......hoping to find another some day. In the meantime I am working on a 1989 Ritchey supercomp. Let me know if your's ever needs a new loving home ;)

Thanks - pretty sure this one is staying till I croak. They don't seem to pop up very often any more.
Supercomp is a sweet bike! Bring it out to a Coastal Cruiser meeting some time.

I'd love to get an early fillet brazed Ritchey. My first good mtn bike was about an 84 Ritchey Equipe - Tig welded frame, red with yellow forks. It was a really nice bike, but the Brodie killed it at the time. I'd still like to have it back just because.

One of my friends has an early Annapurna, lucky for me it's the biggest mountain bike I've ever seen - he's 6'8" - so I don't covet it like I would if it were an 18" :D

I've had a thing for those old school full suspension bikes from the 90's. There are several I'd like to pickup and have-since I couldn't afford them then!

I just added this guy to my stable. Needs a few things before it can hit some trails-fork seals/brake pads/rear shock damper needs rebuilt. But I can't wait to get back on some old school 26" wheels!
20170717_115438[1].jpg

I've had a thing for those old school full suspension bikes from the 90's. There are several I'd like to pickup and have-since I couldn't afford them then!

I just added this guy to my stable. Needs a few things before it can hit some trails-fork seals/brake pads/rear shock damper needs rebuilt. But I can't wait to get back on some old school 26" wheels!View attachment 1498555
Sweet mountain cycle!

lots of kooka goodness!!. the racha levers and hydras are great. The cranks look great but are flexy and often crack.

I remember drooling over the Kooka stuff when I was kid, never could afford them though. My paper route didn't pay that well.

I love the old mountain bikes of yesteryear, my first real mountain bike was used Proflex I found in classifieds of a newspaper. I saved up all of my paper route money to afford it. Looking back it was a terrible bike but I sure did love it. I eventually saved up enough money to upgrade the brakes to Magura hydraulics and promptly broke my arm in my junior high school's parking lot while showing off my cool brakes.

I have an old Schwinn Lawwill 4-banger sitting in storage, maybe I need to do a retro build with it.

Last edited:
square taper cranks ftw

Caramba's make Kooka's look reliable...
hay%20Caramba%20002.jpg

Billet and forged aluminum are not even close in terms of structural integrity..
hay%20Caramba%20005.jpg
square taper cranks ftw
Well Square tapers work for a long time, specially the bottom brackets last forever, with ''ISIS'' the BB bearing start to dye so fast, personally when I can I run square tapers for sure rather than ISIS/octalink but all my cranks are well made and I install them propertly, zero issues in 38 something years of riding hard..

I've been riding a '99 Cannondale F3000 for about 10yrs. The headshock finally gave up the ghost, so I bought a new Cujo 2. I really like my old bike lightness and nimble feel on tight singletrack, but the Cujo is much more comfortable and I'm really liking the mid-fat setup. Trying to decide wether to sell the old bike, or build something with the frame.

i got a new to me old bike this weekend and thought we should have an old mountain bikes we ride thread.

i'll go first.

1998 gt zaskar. this thing is awesome and will be m new commuter and light trail bike. way lighter than my usual full suspension, and way faster and more responsive, but stiff as hell. i think it would destroy my spine if i rode it on any serious trails. it needs new front chain rings and the rubber boots are missing on the forks, and the brakes don't stop me, but otherwise yeehaw.
View attachment 563475

I still have my 20" GT Zaskar frame from when i bought it in highschool...1993 ish time frame. It has the old school rear U brake setup and I've been holding onto it trying to decide what to do with it. Its also got a 1.25" steerer tube iirc which makes finding a suspension fork just about impossible without making a custom tree....or possibly sleeving a 1 1/8" one up to the larger size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom