old mountain bike thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
i got a new to me old bike this weekend and thought we should have an old mountain bikes we ride thread.

i'll go first.

1998 gt zaskar. this thing is awesome and will be m new commuter and light trail bike. way lighter than my usual full suspension, and way faster and more responsive, but stiff as hell. i think it would destroy my spine if i rode it on any serious trails. it needs new front chain rings and the rubber boots are missing on the forks, and the brakes don't stop me, but otherwise yeehaw.
gtzascar.jpg

Last edited:
i got a new to me old bike this weekend and thought we should have an old mountain bikes we ride thread.

i'll go first.

1998 gt zaskar. this thing is awesome and will be m new commuter and light trail nike. way lighter than my usual full suspension, and way faster and more responsive, but stiff as hell. i think it would destroy my spine if i rode it on any serious trails. it needs new front chain rings and the rubber boots are missing on the forks, and the brakes don't stop me, but otherwise yeehaw.

Nice bike. I started mountain biking with GT, trashed a similar frame to yours, then bought a dualie GT-LTS1 in '98. Years later I gave away the dualie to a friend to get started in riding.

Your Zaskar is somewhat of a collector's item. GT just reissued the frame a couple of years ago due to popular demand. Assuming you don't demo the frame, you'll have no problem on a resale.

Nice find.

Oh yeah, the stiff as hell description is by design as GT used a triple triangle construction: front triangle, rear triangle, and little triangle connecting the two.

Last edited:
Yeah, those old Zaskars are increasing in value lately.

Here's my '94 or '95 Kona Lava Dome currently doing SS duty. I'm the original owner. She has a first-gen Judy SL with TotalAir cartridges. Damn, she's smooth.

She's also for sale (gotta pay tuition, yo).

DSC01325.jpg

No pics but I have had almost as many bikes as vehicles.

First real MTB was a chrome Zaskar
Have had a pro-flex 856,red anodized Zaskar,older Fat Chance that wasnt my size but I rocked it anyway cause it was too cool to pass up.

Stumpjumper M2
Have my Klein Adroit pro hanging on my wall at home(yellow,orange,white fade)

I would love to have an old turqoise Yeti

Here's my '94 or '95 Kona Lava Dome currently doing SS duty. I'm the original owner. She has a first-gen Judy SL with TotalAir cartridges. Damn, she's smooth.

hey i recognize that fork! did the judy sl not have fork stanchion boots? i assumed mine were missing.

I'll have to post a picture of my early '90s Gary Fisher Procaliber. This pic is off the internet. Great bike. It tracks like an SOB.
IMG_0237.jpg

I'll have to post a picture of my early '90s Gary Fisher Procaliber. This pic is off the internet. Great bike. It tracks like an SOB.

I have a GF Supercaliber and really can't say I was happy with the frame. It's waaaaay too stiff, or not meant for any type of trail with rock gardens or roots.

That bike damn near put me in a wheel chair more than once!

I have a GF Supercaliber and really can't say I was happy with the frame. It's waaaaay too stiff, or not meant for any type of trail with rock gardens or roots.

That bike damn near put me in a wheel chair more than once!

Once I went suspension, I converted the ProCaliber to a grocery getter. But I'm getting nostalgic and thinking about putting the MTB tires back on. but it will probably rattle my old bones to death...

Once I went suspension, I converted the ProCaliber to a grocery getter. But I'm getting nostalgic and thinking about putting the MTB tires back on. but it will probably rattle my old bones to death...

Dude...you couldn't pay me to go back to a hard tail! I don't care how much "pure" the ride may be, a well designed dualie smokes the hard tails for speed and comfort.

1998 Litespeed, I still have it...

melitespeed2.jpg

Litespeed Titanium Obed frame
Shimano XTR shifter/brake lever
Shimano XTR rear derailler
Shimano XTR Top Swing Front Derailleur
Shimano XTR 12-32 Titanium cassette/cogset
Shimano XTR V-brakes
Shimano 747 clipless pedals
Flite Titanium saddle
Syncros Hardcore Aluminum seat post
KORE Lite Aluminum alloy stem
Bontrager/Titec Titanium handle bar
Bontrager/Titec Magnesium bar ends
Chris King NoThread Headset.
Chris King Classic MTB front and rear hubs
Mavic 517 rims with DT Revolution spokes with alloy nipples
WTB Kelvar Velociraptor tires
Salsa Ti Suspension skewers
Yeti Grips
2002 Rockshox SID SL front fork
RaceFace Titanium Taperlock bottom bracket
RaceFace Next LP crankset
Engagement Ring 7074 Aluminum 20-tooth granny chainring
Bike Weight: 21.8 lbs.

I have an older GF Hookooekoo that I bought used. Any idea on how to track down the year it was made? It's solid blue if that halps any..

I have an older GF Hookooekoo that I bought used. Any idea on how to track down the year it was made? It's solid blue if that halps any..

If my memory serves me correctly that would be a late 80s or early 90s vintage.

Last edited:
Just recently started riding again (1991 was the last time) and replaced the obvious which were the rotted tires. Will ride until things show up as need to be repair/replace - as budget allows.

Mongoose IBOC Comp
Tange Double Butted Chromoly 4130 Rigid Frame
Chromo 4130 Straight Forks
Shimano Equipped: EXAGE 500LX M500 Group; STI shifters
ARAYA RX-7 Rims
Non OEM Replacements and Adds: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 26x2.1 tires, Slime Tubes, Avenir Mountain Saddle
_25865938.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom