Ride quality, FJ40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With decent tires the truck rides plenty smooth when you're driving around on asphalt. Speed bumps are harsher than a modern car, for the reasons stated above. That said, one thing people don't seem to talk about much is comfort in general. They are not comfortable vehicles. No way of reasoning around that fact. The relative positions you can manage with limited seat adjustments makes steering/clutching/braking a fairly cramped experience. I'm 5'11". They are, however, FUN to drive. And they attract attention, more than I was expecting. Comfort-wise, I'd compare the 40 experience to riding a motorcycle. You'd only want to ride one a long distance to accomplish some sort of personal goal, or for some sort of demented recreation. If comfort is the goal, you wouldn't ride one for several hours if you have better choices.

I love driving my truck. I wouldn't want to drive it for 5 hours straight on any given day, just for the heck of it.

Comfort in a Landcruiser is what you make it.I would be much more "comfortable" driving one of my 3 other less than 2 yr. old vehicles with all the bells and whistles....but in no way do I have as much fun and in no way way do I smile like every time I'm driving my 40 :D buy one because it's a cool truck not because you want to cruise around in comfort............you'll forget all about that comfort crap as soon as you are rolling down the road :steer:

My 2 cents: with an FJ40 what you've got is a heavy engine up front, and an empty bed out back, sooooo why do people spring and shock the rear as stiff as the front- - -that only causes the rear end to bounce up into the air on every bump, which compresses the front springs downward, then they unload pushing the rear end downward- - -the fore and aft pitching just begins, and gets worse. What you want is rear shocks that border on "mushy". When you hit a bump, you want your rear end to compress downward, and stay down, not buck back up into the air. As Ivan "Ironman" Stewart use to say "I hope my rear bumper drags ever inch of the Baja 1,000".

Years back I rebuilt my tub with 1/8" steel. Later the F died. Now between a SBC, hardtop, FF rear axle, and a few other mods... it rides really well for what it is. Airbags in the back add fine tuning and adjustability to perfect rideheight and improve ride. Front weighs 950 kg and rear 1150 kg (with hard top). Total is about 4600 lbs.

Even speed bumps aren't bad :D

My vehicle is rebuilt but pretty much a stock suspension set up with a 1/2" lift. Ride is stiff but reasonable, they are great for around town and generally handle pretty well for what it is. There is a serious fun factor to me in driving one, in the Metro Detroit region with it's bombed out roads I enjoyed the FJ40 a lot more than my GT3. The one big problem I have is the current seats which I will swap out for something with more lateral support.

Old man emu suspension rides pretty nice on 40s. I installed seats so as to fit me personally, the front seats are really comfortable. Personally I think if the seat bottom is totally level, its not as comfortable, my seat bottom is tilted about 20 degrees. It gives more leg room and supports more of the thighs which seems to reduce fatigue and increase comfort.

Put about 500 pounds or so at the rearmost datum and it wont buck like a Bronco (pun intended). Rear springs, especially the ones in lift kits, are very harsh and just pile drive your spine, especially worn out and beat up old grumpy folks like me.

Island Hopper 1.jpg
Installed Ironman 2" with leaf #2 and #4 removed from each pack. Very, very, very satisfied with ride.

My 82 fj40 with 13 year old OME and 33x10.5' BFG MT's rides very(very) well, I'd almost call it comfortable, certainly not punishing or anything like that. If I re-foamed the driver seat it would be that much better. I actually like the ride of my 40 better than my 100 series.

my 67 fj45LPB with 14 year old OME and shackle reversal and 33x10.5's, rides super nice, longer wheel base helps as does the SR(but I wouldn't do one again)

my 64 fj45Lv with 50+ year old flat(or worse) springs, long shackles......rides OK, but them old springs are well past their use by date

they all suck when a front tire hits a big pot hole at 40mph

none really ride are any worse than a 20-30 year old 3/4-1 ton truck with nothing in the bed.

all that said, I have been driving cruisers and/or trucks all(besides 3 cars many many years ago) my life.....its what I am use to, we don't own a car......just Land Cruisers and an old Chevy 3/4. Now if I had been driving a Mercedes sedan all my life and I jumped into a 40......I'd probably have a different opinion

Just looked at a 93 Dodge Cummin's 3/4 ton , after a few minutes of driving it, I was thinking.....my 40 rides way better ;)

My 2 cents: with an FJ40 what you've got is a heavy engine up front, and an empty bed out back, sooooo why do people spring and shock the rear as stiff as the front- - -that only causes the rear end to bounce up into the air on every bump, which compresses the front springs downward, then they unload pushing the rear end downward- - -the fore and aft pitching just begins, and gets worse.

All part of the ride, Jim!! My old friend, Gunner, loved bouncing down a rough trail!!

This thread has got me thinking about taking a leaf out of my medium OME springs. Lot of work, wonder if it would be worth it. I think the fact that I have been running a soft top or bikini top has made the ride in the rear pretty harsh since there isn't as much weight back there.

With decent tires the truck rides plenty smooth when you're driving around on asphalt. Speed bumps are harsher than a modern car, for the reasons stated above. That said, one thing people don't seem to talk about much is comfort in general. They are not comfortable vehicles. No way of reasoning around that fact. The relative positions you can manage with limited seat adjustments makes steering/clutching/braking a fairly cramped experience. I'm 5'11". They are, however, FUN to drive. And they attract attention, more than I was expecting. Comfort-wise, I'd compare the 40 experience to riding a motorcycle. You'd only want to ride one a long distance to accomplish some sort of personal goal, or for some sort of demented recreation. If comfort is the goal, you wouldn't ride one for several hours if you have better choices.

I love driving my truck. I wouldn't want to drive it for 5 hours straight on any given day, just for the heck of it.

I, also, love driving mine... I often drive her for more than 5 hours per day... sometimes at 55-60, on pavement... sometimes at 10-25 on rough trails... sometimes a combination of the two... and everything in between.

It's MUCH more enjoyable than anything else I've ever driven... but, I always drive with a loving friend hanging on to my arm.

I have stock suspension, original springs, new greasable shackle bushings, Bilstein 5100 shocks and BOSS airbags on the rear... (EDIT: I should have mentioned, I carry a lot of weight in the back) she rides fine... as long as I don't misjudge the terrain and drive a realistic speed, for the conditions... e.g. don't hit speed bumps too fast... don't drive rock ledges too fast... slow down on really rocky roads/trails... and air down for the conditions as well.

The quality of this picture is terrible... but, I was bouncing on a rough trail... you can make out my loving friend, Chester. The only problem is I always wake him, when shifting gears.

IMG_6850.JPG

If you want quiet, plush comfort and a smooth ride, you'd do better with a John Deere tractor...

But, if you want a 40, go for it... you will cherish every moment with it!! :steer:

This is a learning experience, thanks for the comments everyone.

I don't think this has been brought up - check your tire pressure. Keep it on the lower side, and your backside will thank you. FJ40s have plenty of tire for what they weigh, so you don't need to have 35-40 psi in the tires. Try 26-30 and see how they wear and how it rides. Do a chalk test on the tread if you want the whole story.

I, also, love driving mine... I often drive her for more than 5 hours per day... sometimes at 55-60, on pavement... sometimes at 10-25 on rough trails... sometimes a combination of the two... and everything in between.

It's MUCH more enjoyable than anything else I've ever driven... but, I always drive with a loving friend hanging on to my arm.

I have stock suspension, original springs, new greasable shackle bushings, Bilstein 5100 shocks and BOSS airbags on the rear... (EDIT: I should have mentioned, I carry a lot of weight in the back) she rides fine... as long as I don't misjudge the terrain and drive a realistic speed, for the conditions... e.g. don't hit speed bumps too fast... don't drive rock ledges too fast... slow down on really rocky roads/trails... and air down for the conditions as well.

The quality of this picture is terrible... but, I was bouncing on a rough trail... you can make out my loving friend, Chester. The only problem is I always wake him, when shifting gears.

View attachment 1485835

If you want quiet, plush comfort and a smooth ride, you'd do better with a John Deere tractor...

But, if you want a 40, go for it... you will cherish every moment with it!! :steer:
I have to agree with pngunme. A John Deere tractor is smoother and quieter. If someone is saying their FJ40 rides smooth, they have never owned another car. It is the off roading and cool factor where it pays off. I love my FJ40 that I just completed a frame off restoration and ready to scratch it up with the trail bushes.

Just drove mine 630 miles in one day. 11 hours total. Enjoyed every minute of it and felt great when I arrived. The trailer really helps calm down the bounciness of the ride. I actually prefer driving it with the trailer attached.

20170628_202409_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Just drove mine 630 miles in one day. 11 hours total. Enjoyed every minute of it and felt great when I arrived. The trailer really helps calm down the bounciness of the ride. I actually prefer driving it with the trailer attached.

20170628_202409_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Jetranger- that looks like Wind River Canyon in Wyoming. I lived not too far from that spot. Good fishing when the water is running a bit less. Nice looking rig!!

@SOAZtim what pressure do you run on pavement and what do you run Aired down on trails? Pretty sure we are running the same size K02's. Thx bud

@SOAZtim what pressure do you run on pavement and what do you run Aired down on trails? Pretty sure we are running the same size K02's. Thx bud
I run about almost 40 on the road which is prob silly for this "light" of a truck. I jump right to 18psi offroad or 15 if I'm not loaded down for multi night trips.
On this trip we were heavy with the aux tank full so I did 20 in the rear and 15 in front if I remember right.
huber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom