Hard Shell RTT vs soft RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i was a rookie seven years ago when i purchased my used maggiolina and here's what i found and why i'm thrilled i went hardshell.

i arranged to meet up with the seller in slc on the agreement he would be up bright and early to help me get it mounted so i could meet three others in laramie that afternoon for a 9 day trip. two in 94s with 33" tires, myself and another in 95s with 35" tires. i had the maggiolina, one had a mombassa fold over, one had an eezi awn fold over, and the fourth had a roof rack with 20 glns of fuel, so all about the same setup.

three days in , we rolled into farson to fuel up, the other three were on fumes, i had 1/8 tank. after that, i started paying a bit more attention to fuel consumption, monitoring my scangauge and the maggiolina affects mileage minimally enough that it's not noticable.

while on the trip, we camped at the base of an enormous sand dune in the killpecker dunes. it was windy, so while i sat in the car watching mike spend 20 minutes fighting to get his eezi awn set up and staked down, i figured i could wait since it took one minute to set my tent up. the wind never did die down and his tent ended up with damage from the wind and trying to get it folded up and ratcheted down so we could get the heck out of there. i've since been out in horribly windy conditions multiple times and no issues at all.

no matter which way i parked, i could get into my tent. i didn't need to worry about having a specific side with a lot more space than the other. i didn't need to worry about any side having any space at all, just overhead space with all rtts need. i can get in on either side and if i have enough room to open the doors, i have more than enough room for my ladder.

lastly i learned that they're a pita for tall people and i'm short, so no way could i set one up. you have to be able to climb up onto the roof rack to deal with the straps and the cover, you have to be able to reach up to get to the ladder on the top and "gently fold the tent open". i can not do that. with the hardshell, i just undo three clips, get on the tailgate and crank it up.

things i miss out on are extra space on the rack for fuel/firewood/whatever and an overhang, which doesn't seem like much, but your entrance is covered and you can hang muddy boots off the ladder and you have a small patch of shade underneath.

since that first trip, i've also realized how much more durable hardshells are. mine already had some spiderwebbing from a po putting the ladder in wrong and cranking it down...i just this last year got around to patching it. it wasn't leaking, i just figured it was time. i have used my tent to push trees up as i've driven under them. they were small, yes, but i could do it. not going to happen with a soft shell. i've had tree branches try to gouge the side of the tent. with a soft shell, you're at least dropping a couple hundred on a new cover. no issues with my hardshell.
DSC03120.jpg
DSC03202.JPG
steel for bars 009.jpg
P7170157.JPG
P7170158.JPG

i was a rookie seven years ago when i purchased my used maggiolina and here's what i found and why i'm thrilled i went hardshell.

i arranged to meet up with the seller in slc on the agreement he would be up bright and early to help me get it mounted so i could meet three others in laramie that afternoon for a 9 day trip. two in 94s with 33" tires, myself and another in 95s with 35" tires. i had the maggiolina, one had a mombassa fold over, one had an eezi awn fold over, and the fourth had a roof rack with 20 glns of fuel, so all about the same setup.

three days in , we rolled into farson to fuel up, the other three were on fumes, i had 1/8 tank. after that, i started paying a bit more attention to fuel consumption, monitoring my scangauge and the maggiolina affects mileage minimally enough that it's not noticable.

while on the trip, we camped at the base of an enormous sand dune in the killpecker dunes. it was windy, so while i sat in the car watching mike spend 20 minutes fighting to get his eezi awn set up and staked down, i figured i could wait since it took one minute to set my tent up. the wind never did die down and his tent ended up with damage from the wind and trying to get it folded up and ratcheted down so we could get the heck out of there. i've since been out in horribly windy conditions multiple times and no issues at all.

no matter which way i parked, i could get into my tent. i didn't need to worry about having a specific side with a lot more space than the other. i didn't need to worry about any side having any space at all, just overhead space with all rtts need. i can get in on either side and if i have enough room to open the doors, i have more than enough room for my ladder.

lastly i learned that they're a pita for tall people and i'm short, so no way could i set one up. you have to be able to climb up onto the roof rack to deal with the straps and the cover, you have to be able to reach up to get to the ladder on the top and "gently fold the tent open". i can not do that. with the hardshell, i just undo three clips, get on the tailgate and crank it up.

things i miss out on are extra space on the rack for fuel/firewood/whatever and an overhang, which doesn't seem like much, but your entrance is covered and you can hang muddy boots off the ladder and you have a small patch of shade underneath.

since that first trip, i've also realized how much more durable hardshells are. mine already had some spiderwebbing from a po putting the ladder in wrong and cranking it down...i just this last year got around to patching it. it wasn't leaking, i just figured it was time. i have used my tent to push trees up as i've driven under them. they were small, yes, but i could do it. not going to happen with a soft shell. i've had tree branches try to gouge the side of the tent. with a soft shell, you're at least dropping a couple hundred on a new cover. no issues with my hardshell.
View attachment 1484774 View attachment 1484775 View attachment 1484776 View attachment 1484777 View attachment 1484778

Good to see you guys like the hard shells better than the soft. I just got mine and am excited to use it. I did end up getting the smaller size. IMO it fits my rack better. Are you still able to run an awning with the larger tent?

I would like to be able to remove the RTT easier in the future. The fittment of the stock brackets and lock nuts is a major PIA and takes a long time. I am looking for ideas to fab some brackets or ? to make it an easier process of hoisting it up there and locking it down? maybe I will start another thread.

View attachment 1484774 View attachment 1484775 View attachment 1484776 View attachment 1484777 View attachment 1484778

Excellent points I never thought about. I like the concept of the manual crank to raise and lower the hard shells primarily because I have an SOA FJ60 on 35's so it would be almost dangerous to try to raise a soft roof top tent at that height. It would also be a pain to close the automatic pop up style hard shells.

Valid point on losing roof top storage space as well. I figure the inside of the 60 would just need to be highly organized to offset the loss of space.

Yet another good point on parking and access to fold out the soft tent. I agree the hard shells just seem more durable and have taught sides to prevent wind damage.

Any thoughts on the fiberglass reflecting heat? I like the black color, but was curious if it would be hotter in the summer?

Another point, I looked at the clamshell style tents with a rear doorway. I liked these because I could use my swing out ladder on my rear bumper to enter/exit the tent.

This style, but I prefer the hard tops that create a square shape for more headroom.

tent.png

Good to see you guys like the hard shells better than the soft. I just got mine and am excited to use it. I did end up getting the smaller size. IMO it fits my rack better. Are you still able to run an awning with the larger tent?

I would like to be able to remove the RTT easier in the future. The fittment of the stock brackets and lock nuts is a major PIA and takes a long time. I am looking for ideas to fab some brackets or ? to make it an easier process of hoisting it up there and locking it down? maybe I will start another thread.

yes. i have an awning on mine. i used gamiviti mounts, so i can switch my awning side to side easily. if i have it on the passenger side, where the crank for the rtt is, i do have to take the back mount off and let the awning hang while i crank the rtt.

Love my Maggiolina Grand Tour Medium. It's warm and quiet, which helps when there's 10+ kids in the campsite that wake up at dawn.

It is a bit on the smallish side interior wise. My wife and I fit comfortably, but if my 8 year old wants to sleep in the tent, I usually have to sleep in the truck or a ground tent. It's a bit tight with more than two and we're not snugglers.

I didn't use a roof rack, just mounted two Yakima crossbars to the stock 80 rack. I had no issues with it, but when I removed the RTT for winter the stock rack felt very loose. I've since removed the stock rack and got some Yakima gutter mounts with 3 crossbars. I'll be throwing the tent on soon as our camping trips for the summer are coming up.

You'll feel the weight for sure with the RTT. My truck felt noticeably more top heavy and was bobbing around a bit on the stock 115,000 miles springs/shocks. The pics are from last year. I've since installed a lift with med/heavy springs and Icon 2.0 shocks, so we'll see how that feels this summer. Didn't notice any mileage difference, but I'm not really keeping a close eye on it since the 80 is more of a camping/play rig.

Overall, I really enjoy being able to set up and take down in 5 minutes and being able to leave the bedding and pillows in the RTT and not taking up space in the truck.

View attachment 1271306 View attachment 1271307

I've got a James Baroud Discovery Space Evolution RTT and have to say it's the single best gear purchase I've made, because ultimately it's a tiny hotel room, or at least that's how I think of it. Super easy up and down (like, four clips and 90 seconds easy), very solid and stout, weatherproof and windproof in everything short of a hurricane, and nearly as comfortable as my bed at home. I'm approaching 20 nights spent in it already this year, and love it. I've slept in it down to -10F and in winter it feels like this warm, insulated cave.

The main issue I have with it is the total PITA process to mount it to my roof rack, and I move the tent between my 80 and Tacoma regularly due to the 80 not fitting in my garage while wearing the tent. I have a Gobi Stealth rack and the combination of low clearance between roof and rack, then the 8 bolts that fix the tent to the rack... is a pain. If I thought hard enough about it I could probably devise a better solution, but I've got my process down to about 45 minutes to install it onto the 80, and about 15 minutes to take it off.

It DOES take up the entire roof rack, and I'm sure it decreases my fuel economy, but I still get ~15-18 fully weighted down with camp gear. I've taken it rock crawling and had no with it moving or disturbing the truck's center of gravity too greatly. Around town I can feel the weight in how my truck corners, but not so much I can't just adjust my driving a little. I believe my Gobi rack, RTT and ARB 2500 awning, combined weigh nearly 225lbs. (that's a guess), but I wouldn't say there's any adverse handling anywhere in the truck that I can't adjust to.

Hotel Rock Trail 2.png
IMG_8918.JPG

I was like 16-18 mpg?? then I saw your signature line

nice truck

This thread has me drooling! Just finished installing the last of a set of Lifetime LED slimline light bars to sit below the level of the rack in prep for a James Baroud Evasion that's due in sometime here in July. I can't wait!!! Downsizing from a trailer with Eezi-Awn Globetrotter. While I'll miss that awesome vestibule I'm more than stoked to be free of checking trails for trailer friendliness.

Last edited:
I have no rral interest. In a soft RTT. We have a sleeping platform and love the zero setup time. But the hard shell quick set up time have grabbed my attention.

The iKamper Skycamp does indeed look pretty slick and well thought-out, with a good assortment of add-ons and accessories too. I still give the nod to Tepui's White Lightning (if it's ever actually available) for the integrated roof rack and the possibility of also using it as a cargo box. RoostTents look like a possibility too, but local Cali options and pickup prevail. I have toys for all seasons, so modularity and ease of use are at the top of my list, right next to quick deployment and pack-up before dawn patrol missions.
Hopefully we'll be seeing posts of folks exploring with their White Lightnings soon...:popcorn:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 2.08.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 2.07.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 2.07.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 2.06.38 PM.png

...and since it looks kinda wimpy on a 'bu with a dude in lycra, here's a comp:
80_TWL_bw.jpg

Last edited:
Weighs about the same weight as my medium airlander and about the same weight, but aluminum. i'll have to look at reviews. my airland has lived a long rough life. it's still going strong, but it won't go forever.

price is nice, but black is a horrible color. will attract heat and most people are camping in the summer.

price is nice, but black is a horrible color. will attract heat and most people are camping in the summer.

I guess it'd get toasty closed up but I think things would cool off pretty once opened up. And for the price you could have it pro wrapped in white or light gray vinyl for less than a hundred bucks. Do it yourself for less than $50...

Last edited:
Will post up when mine comes in... I was an early backer on Kick Starter and they started shipping this week.. perfect blend of both in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom