Rear bumper rust! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aaronrules

Coolest person you know!
Threads
Yesterday I decided I was going to see about putting some auxiliary reverse lights mounted to the stock bumper. After getting the cover of, I was very shocked to see the amount of rust. I knew one of the previous owners used the truck to take their boat to a salt water area, an apparently they needed to get the rear of the truck under water to get the boat in. And the jack knifed it pretty good also. I see this as a great opportunity to sell the wife on the "urgent" need replace TJ rear bumper to something that will function correctly because this one will fail because of the rust.

TBH, I am pretty sure it's not that bad, but I'm not to fond of seeing this amount of rust on a 2006. And the holes you see are the frame. The bolts were a MF'er to get out. I was taking the tow bar out because the one bolt in the middle was hitting the pushed in part of the bumper.

I need advice on how worried I should really be.

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
More pictures

what does the rest of the frame look like?

what does the rest of the frame look like?

I see some spots but nothing as deep as what's on the bumper. The muffler is pretty rusty, but that's nothing to worry about.

My 99 had rust in the same spots on the bumper cover support. I think it is a collection point for water that fails to drain. I suggest wire brush/sand it some and do a rust converter and then paint over the top. The key is to keep an eye on it and beat it back when needed.

That's nothing... you should see mine. Yours isn't rusting to the point where the old coating is flaking off, so it's really of no concern.

But like other have said, it's a common collection point for salt and other road debris.

My 99 had rust in the same spots on the bumper cover support. I think it is a collection point for water that fails to drain. I suggest wire brush/sand it some and do a rust converter and then paint over the top. The key is to keep an eye on it and beat it back when needed.

That's nothing... you should see mine. Yours isn't rusting to the point where the old coating is flaking off, so it's really of no concern.

But like other have said, it's a common collection point for salt and other road debris.

So what you guys are saying is that I need a new bumper!

Nope, just the opposite, tidy up the few rusty spots on the surface, is all you need. I suggested a few products that any automotive supply will have to help protect those few spots. This treatment will prevent those surface rust spots from going deeper. It's not deep now and the metal looks sound. Then button her back up and go driving.

One more thing, that top piece is a bolt on to support the bumper skin and everybody with an after market bumper will have one to sell for the cost of shipping, most will have the same surface rust. Hope this helps.

YES, OF COURSE YOU NEED A NEW BUMPER.
I needed a new front bumper for the same reason. And a roof rack. and sliders. and nicer lights, and skidplates, and a new nav system.

The bumper is disposable and the frame looks good to me (that dent's not a big deal).

That's not bad at all. While you have it open, clean it up, and coat it with KBS or POR-15 or chassis saver etc. etc..... Order a new fascia support (the metal top that supports the plastic) and spray the whole thing with fluid film. You'll never worry again.

My old vs new fascia support.

Coated with KBS

I'm not worried about the rust if you treat it now. But, boy, that took some force to bend the frame over the trailer hitch. With that in mind, are you sure nothing important is bent? Is the trailer hitch straight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom