metric axle shims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.about.me
Took my truck into one of "those" places (4WP) to get ARB's installed in my FJ40 axles. First time ever but wanted to get in on the ARB sale going on for free compressor.

It's been in over a week and they can't source "metric axles shims".

I feel the need to take a birfield down and introduce it to somebodies nose.

So I thought I'd ask the group if anyone else has found axle shims "unobtanium".

Say what?! Metric AXLE shims? Please elaborate.

Shims to set the backlash on the pinion.
Metric because 1 mil shim doesn't fit where a thousandth of an inch will? Yeah, I don't get it either - hence the primal urges with aforementioned cruiser parts....

Spector shows the shim kit as part # 090-26A. Try 'mud vendors, too, like @beno.

I would go collect my legos and find a competent shop to complete the ARB installs into the Land Cruiser center sections, before you have to pay for this service more than once to get it completed properly.

There can be pinion bearing depth shims and pinion bearing pre-load shims.

There are not any backlash or carrier bearing shims in these differentials.

You don't need to reset the pinion depth when adding an arb anyway (unless you are re-gearing)

That figures. I didn't do that when I put the Lockright and No Slip in. But I just figured I was the one that did it wrong (or that perhaps I'd "lost" the shim when putting the lunchbox lockers in).

Either way, I'll be heading down there first thing in the morning and see what's up. I'm likely screwed since the diffs are already torn apart.

I agree with poser go get your Legos
If they can't figure out shims are they going to be able to set the Arb s up properly or will you be that guy that has constant Arb issues

If they are simply installing an ARB (no pinion work) they won't need any shims, it's all adjustable via nuts. In the event you need shims, we (Cruiser Outfitters) stock assortment packs (and yes they are metric) for the pinion preload on solid spaced pinion as well as the pinion depth shims. We could toss them in an envelope for delivery as soon as Saturday so they can button you back up. I too share concern they can't get that sorted.

That figures. I didn't do that when I put the Lockright and No Slip in. But I just figured I was the one that did it wrong (or that perhaps I'd "lost" the shim when putting the lunchbox lockers in).

Either way, I'll be heading down there first thing in the morning and see what's up. I'm likely screwed since the diffs are already torn apart.
You wouldn't need to redo anything if you didn't change the carrier. The lock right went into the open carrier and the Ring and Pinion would not have changed relationship.

So I did make it down to the shop on Friday. It turns out that my Freudian filtering may have helped in me drawing the incorrect picture of the issue. What the mechanic was telling me was not that they needed metric shims, but that the RD153 has larger bolt hole openings where it attaches to the ring gear and what he's waiting on are sleeves that fit over the bolt and inside the ARB hole. They are not resetting the pinion to ring gear like I'd misthunk. So, I guess it's just back to a logistics problem which had still better be resolved today...

Still odd statements..

You wouldn't need to redo anything if you didn't change the carrier.

The ARB air locker IS the carrier; they are not a valu-lok that replaces axle gears in a stock carrier.

So I did make it down to the shop on Friday. It turns out that my Freudian filtering may have helped in me drawing the incorrect picture of the issue. What the mechanic was telling me was not that they needed metric shims, but that the RD153 has larger bolt hole openings where it attaches to the ring gear and what he's waiting on are sleeves that fit over the bolt and inside the ARB hole. They are not resetting the pinion to ring gear like I'd misthunk. So, I guess it's just back to a logistics problem which had still better be resolved today...

So I am going to toss something up here...

You have an earlier 4.11 gear set with a threaded ring gear, and they are confused as to how to make it work on the ARB carrier.

A threaded ring gear cannot be used with an ARB carrier; it must be the through hole design, post 1970.

And, make no mistake, they will be 'resetting' your gear pattern/backlash when installing your ARB carriers.

...A threaded ring gear cannot be used with an ARB carrier; it must be the through hole design, post 1970...

Exactly what I suspected too.

"We're waiting for the bolt sleeves to come in".................translation: "We have no idea what we're doing and we will F your truck up pretty good by the time we're done.........sorry man but get your truck out of there before you are typing about how F'ed up your truck is :)

Hmmm, very well could be the older gearing, the truck was a 63 originally and I thought I put in a 72 rear...but it may have been a 68. I'll be heading back over shortly. I had a lockright in front and noslip in back so I think I must have upgraded to fine spline axles at least. At this point, I'm hoping I didn't screw them up at the shop because I told them all these axles should be the same -- and was not corrected. So point taken on the shop.

The ARB air locker IS the carrier; they are not a valu-lok that replaces axle gears in a stock carrier.
Ummmm I was replying to someone who said he didn't have to do any of that when he installed a Lock-right! Lock-rights go into "Open" carriers. You are correct though ARB as well as Detroit and many other manufacturers do replace the entire carrier when you switch to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom