Pre 69 axle bushing replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched high, low, left, right and in between. I cannot find anything on the procedure to replace the old brass “seals/bushings“ in the pre 69 front end. I have replacement bushings on hand, the old ball and claw joints are disassembled and I’m ready to install the bushings. Just looking for some helpful tips or advice on pulling the old and installing the new bushings.
Thank you and Merry Christmas

I would think that you would press them in/out like any bushing. You might dose them with like Kroil and heat them several times over a few days to help break the bond. When you go to press them out heating the surrounding area and while icing down the inside of bushing can help a lot, so does a proper fitting driver and a hydrolytic press vs a BFH.

This from the Factory manual for early rigs.

IMG_3781.png
You would think a slide hammer with a 3 jaw puller would work.

Thanks for info. I got it out with a slide hammer. My next issue is the replacement bushing has a raised collar that prevents it from fully seating. Unfortunately I don’t have a lathe or a local machine shop. I’m going to go full shade tree with a dremmel and sand paper.

Thanks for info. I got it out with a slide hammer. My next issue is the replacement bushing has a raised collar that prevents it from fully seating. Unfortunately I don’t have a lathe or a local machine shop. I’m going to go full shade tree with a dremmel and sand paper.
Do you have a drill press? Drill press and file would work... if you're not able to run it as is.

Are these the replacement bushings from SOR? If so, I recall a friend with a 67 having to have them machined prior to install. Probably worth a trip to find a machine shop and do it right. You will need a cylinder hone and knuckle centering SST to install the axle and knuckle correctly too.

Last edited:
Are these the replacement bushings from SOR? If so, I recall a friend with a 67 having to have them machined prior to install. Probably worth a trip to find a machine shop and do it right. You will need a cylinder hone and knuckle centering SST to install the axle and knuckle correctly too.
I was under the impression that you didn’t need the knuckle centering tool if nothing more than bearings, seals etc were being replaced. Just keep track of where the shims came from and install them in the same place. Is that true or fake news?
Yes, these are the SOR bushings. I have the hone and just had to barely tickle them to get the to slide onto the axle.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom