Removing factory roof rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a Prinsu roof rack and I'm in the process of removing the factory rack now. I'm having a problem with a couple of screws that continue to turn, but not come out. I'm assuming the nutsert is spinning, any suggestion on getting it out?

The screws that have come out, leave behind a nutsert that is sticking out. My plan is to drill it down flush, fill with waterproof 2-part epoxy, sand and paint. These things look like a ticking time bomb of rust and leaks, I'm glad I'm doing this now. My second question, should I remove the ribs screwed down between the two main racks? Are these known to cause the same problem?

A sawzall works great to cut through the bolt to remove the rack. Just cut through the middle of the plastic feet. Drill the nutsert out. Step bits work great so you won't drill through the headliner. I even mist water through the nutsert to keep any of the hot drillings from affecting the foam/headliner. After the nutserts are drilled out, dent down the holes with a tapered punch so the steel stick (what I use) fills flush. Fine tune with bondo, prime and paint. I remove the ribs but I haven't seen any corrosion on the ones I have done.
Here's a few pics of the sawzall and the punch I use to dent/taper down the holes.

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

Last edited:
Following, I just picked up a roof rack, but not sure I have to remove the old one to install the new one.
Sooner or later, these nutserts will rust and leak and you won't know it until its too late. For me, its not worth the risk.

Are you talking about the JB Weld "SteelStik" epoxy stuff or something else? I'm looking for a non-welding/sparking solution that won't require dropping my 94's headliner.

Yes, "SteelStik" epoxy stuff.

Yes, "SteelStik" epoxy stuff.

So you SteelStik it flush, sand down, and paint? Debating this method with the "plug it with a bolt" method. Do you have pics of the final result? About to head to Lowe's for supplies...:beer:

I used SteelStik or something like that. Search for my rack posting and you will see pictures. Worked perfectly.

So you SteelStik it flush, sand down, and paint? Debating this method with the "plug it with a bolt" method. Do you have pics of the final result? About to head to Lowe's for supplies...:beer:

Here's a final pic of @summitcruisersIII and another thread @summitcruisersjr showing progress of the painting of the roof on the first page:
BUILD THREAD FOR THE "German Shepherd"
upload_2017-9-15_21-56-45.png

Mine aren't looking too bad after wiping the area with acetone. Just finished denting the holes in and will prep, fill, sand and paint in the morning. What to do about my aux lighting harness is the next question?
20170915_192949.jpg
20170915_200901.jpg

I started this process today and got VERY lucky ... all of the screws came right out after a good soak with the WD-40 Black. Screws are out, main rack sides and crossbars off, edges of the center ribs removed as well and the rib covers are off.

How are people removing the center rib mounts? Do they just pry off? I looked through 10 pages of "roof rack removal" threads and nobody addressed this step. Looking for some guidance before trying to pry them off and breaking something.

There's a screw at the front and rear (under a cap IIRC) after the screws are removed, the ribs just pry off. Unfortunately a lot of the adhesive will peel off from the ribs and remain attached to your roof. You can get get a lot of it to come off by pulling up and towards you when removing the rib.

For the remaining adhesive on the roof, I used a pin stripe remover like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-pinst...pID=41pT3QsrEKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Makes a mess, but it works:
IMG_8575.JPG

LC Roof.jpg

sorry in advance for hijack:

do any of you who've removed factory roof rack have any remaining parts kicking around? I need to replace a few of the square nuts that sit in the rack tracks - into which the plastic knobs screw..

someday I will delete mine but it suits my current needs

anyone know where I can find the "bolt method?"

The bolt method involves, after removing the rack, inserting a stainless steel bolt into the nutsert, with a gasket/nylon washer. It's able to be restored to factory (in the future) and is low $/skill to do. But it leaves stainless hardware heads visible, if that's a concern to you. And, if your current nutserts are rusted, you'd have to remove them and replace nutserts.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought I’d look for some help now with a ton of time on my hands. Hope you are all doing well.

I removed my roof rack on my blue 80 and inserted stainless bolts/sealed. My main issue and concern is surface rust where the feet of the rack used to sit. On every corner the paint is either rubbed to the base or rubbed completely off in an outline.

Any tips on treating this and preventing rust, options regarding touch up painting?

For all of you who removed your factory roof rack, do you still have yours? I'm looking for a full rack or at least the end caps for mine that is in pretty rough shape. If you have any of yours left, please PM me. Thanks!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought I’d look for some help now with a ton of time on my hands. Hope you are all doing well.

I removed my roof rack on my blue 80 and inserted stainless bolts/sealed. My main issue and concern is surface rust where the feet of the rack used to sit. On every corner the paint is either rubbed to the base or rubbed completely off in an outline.

Any tips on treating this and preventing rust, options regarding touch up painting?
POR 15 or Rust Bullet work great. Sand, apply, and seal with touch up paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom