FJ62 starts with B+ and FP diagnostic connector jumped but dies without (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiddy ho, my faithful 88 FJ62 has been sitting under cover waiting for my kid to become licensed. First time in her history (250k) that she didn't fire up today. Checked tank (full), changed fuel filter since I had a spare, jumped pins, heard fuel pump and gas hissing in fuel rail. Fires right up and runs solid with jumper in diagnostic plug. Starts and runs without jumper but stumbles and dies within 1-2 minutes. I've been reading my factory repair manual but can't figure out how to diagnose from here. Help much appreciated!

Going from memory so may be wrong, check the circuit opening relay. I think it is under the panel in the passenger footwell.
Thanks, Godwin. I'll give that a shot this morning. Can you advise on how to check the relay?

Going from memory so may be wrong, check the circuit opening relay. I think it is under the panel in the passenger footwell.
Hi Jim, dumb question, but where the heck is the circuit opening relay. Plenty of internet searching going on here this morning but I can't figure out where it is!
I've narrowed down to under the dash, passenger side, center? Or somewhere else I read inside the passenger side outer kick panel? Found one at napa for 60 bucks so if I can find mine, i'll grab that and swap.
Killing me as I can start and run fine with the jumper in place!
Also, read FSM and interesting that the trouble shooting points you to multiple causes EXCEPT this particular relay. thank god for IH8mud.

sorry Jim, i'm a dumbarse. forgot to search FJ62. Green relay inside of passenger kick panel. Thanks to KLF as he seems to have answered this question for folks multiple times.

Going after it now. will report back with pictures.

Jim, thanks. I found it inside the kick panel. $153 from Toyota and it's discontinued. $59 at Napa but special order.

Took it apart, found the capacitor had puked a bit and there was corrosion on the contact spring. As soon as I squeezed it, the contact broke loose and seemed fine. Cleaned up the corrosion, plugged it in, and she fired up on the first crank! 244K miles and runs like a champ. Thanks for the help!

Jim, thanks. I found it inside the kick panel. $153 from Toyota and it's discontinued. $59 at Napa but special order.

Took it apart, found the capacitor had puked a bit and there was corrosion on the contact spring. As soon as I squeezed it, the contact broke loose and seemed fine. Cleaned up the corrosion, plugged it in, and she fired up on the first crank! 244K miles and runs like a champ. Thanks for the help!

:clap: As Toyota drops more parts from inventory we'll have to be creative in keeping the 3FEs running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom