Fitment of Pioneer TS-G series speakers behind OEM grills (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
I've lived with crappy, blown 25 year old OEM speakers for over 5 years. Inspired by Idaho Doug's thread I tried a couple times to find some speakers that were shallow enough to fit our doors, but always failed. I wanted speakers that would fit behind my stock grills with little modification... and I couldn't find the model Doug had used, and eventually I gave up, submitting to the fact I just wasn't going to find any and I would have to listen to diesel and turbo spool instead (I know, poor me:p)

The odd OEM "inversed cone" speakers and what little mounting depth we have:

IMG_20151115_111118.jpg
IMG_20151115_111143.jpg

IMG_20151115_111207.jpg

Recently I noticed a local stereo joint "Visions" had a sale on some Pioneers that had a very low profile 6 inch... to the tune of 1.5 inches mounting depth. Being local, I thought - I'll give them a try and if they don't fit, I can return them. The bonus was they were only $58 CAD for the pair!

I also purchased some 4 inch Pioneers from the same model line from Amazon for $49 incl shipping.

The models I used were:
TS-G1645R (6.5 inch for front)
TS-G1045R (4 inch for rear)

IMG_20151128_095535.jpg

First thing I did was cut the old crappy speakers off the oem wiring harness and reuse it on the Pioneers with some non-insulated clips and double walled heat shrink.:flipoff2:

IMG_20151128_104844.jpg

The fronts mounted right up to the factory captured screw holes, except the screws needed to be longer. I used 1 inch #12 sheet metal screws which were the perfect length and width.

IMG_20151128_134332.jpg

I cut the plastic "nubs" off the back of the door panels, just extra plastic and was worried about the aftermarket speakers hitting them when I really crank it :hillbilly:

IMG_20151128_135006.jpg

IMG_20151128_135519.jpg

IMG_20151128_135512.jpg

Showing what LITTLE room I had. I measured just over 1.5 inches with the tape. The Pioneers were exactly 1.5 inches. After tightening down the screws, this is what I was left with. Appear to be touching the window run, but didn't affect the window operation at all. Phewf!!!

IMG_20151128_134647.jpg

The rears required a bit more modification. The OEM speakers are held in this plastic cradle of sorts, that holds the speaker by the back of it, then allows the oem grill to snap into the cradle. Since I wanted to keep the oem grills, I figured a way of modifying the cradle to accept the Pioneer 4 inches. I cut the back of the cradle out, snapped ONE tab off the Pioneer speakers, and bent the other 3 tabs over 90 degrees and used a rivet gun to attach them to the cradle. It worked PERFECTLY.

IMG_20151128_114310.jpg

IMG_20151128_200624.jpg

IMG_20151128_200830.jpg

IMG_20151128_201157.jpg

IMG_20151128_201759.jpg

IMG_20151128_132848.jpg

The Pioneers sat a tiny bit further out, so to fit the oem grill back in I removed the "Y" part of the plastic on the inside of the grill.

IMG_20151128_133139.jpg

IMG_20151128_133625.jpg

IMG_20151128_133747.jpg

Overall I am VERY HAPPY with how this project turned out. The Pioneers sound a world of a difference better than my BLOWN oem speakers. :banana:

Last edited:
Write up so good I ordered the speakers, be here Thursday.

Well done, thanks for sharing!

Sorry to revive an old thread but do you know if these speakers will fit the 97's doors (and still be able to use stock grills)? I'm not sure if there is a difference between 93 and 97.

Sorry to revive an old thread but do you know if these speakers will fit the 97's doors (and still be able to use stock grills)? I'm not sure if there is a difference between 93 and 97.
I put them in mine and fit just fine behind the stock grilles.

That is slick with the rear speakers! Very nice.

Thanks all!

Update: Still loving the speakers. SO MUCH better than my blown stock ones lol. The only thing they're lacking is bass, but that's to be expected with such shallow cones. I'm now looking at putting a small 8 inch sub and amp where the factory one goes in the rear right corner panel.

I just received my speakers and was looking up some more threads and saw that the 6.5 can fit in the front and the rear. Is this the case with all fj80 or certain years? Would rather have the 6.5 in all 4 doors if the modification is limited and still have the factory look.

I just received my speakers and was looking up some more threads and saw that the 6.5 can fit in the front and the rear. Is this the case with all fj80 or certain years? Would rather have the 6.5 in all 4 doors if the modification is limited and still have the factory look.

I guess anything is possible with enough modification, but I certainly didn't want to try fitting 6.5's in the rear.

No you won't ever get a factory look with 6.5s in the rear, and you won't get it with any look w/o a lot of cutting/grinding.

Very nice, I've got the same setup for speakers f/r.

Not sure if you bypassed factory amp, if not I'd highly recommend it. My speakers sounded about 5x better afterwards and it got rid of this strange engine noise that was playing through the speakers.

Very nice, I've got the same setup for speakers f/r.

Not sure if you bypassed factory amp, if not I'd highly recommend it. My speakers sounded about 5x better afterwards and it got rid of this strange engine noise that was playing through the speakers.

Is there a thread on how to bypass it? Or it just as simple as disconnecting the wires from it?

Is there a thread on how to bypass it? Or it just as simple as disconnecting the wires from it?
Been wanting to make a thread on this for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

It's really simple, just involves unplugging harness from factory amp and plugging in harness from H/U. You'll have to cut and solder some extensions for the H/U harness because the fac. amp input is located underneath the glove box.

Tomorrow I can post some pics, a lot easier than trying to explain it via text.

These screws work perfectly, thanks for saving me the time playing with a few different sizes.

TS-G1645R (6 inch for front)

The fronts mounted right up to the factory captured screw holes, except the screws needed to be longer. I used 1 inch #12 sheet metal screws which were the perfect length and width.

IMG_20151128_134332.jpg

The Pioneer 6.5s fit in the front and rear of a '97 LC. I used the Pioneer speaker grills....I might paint them a tan color eventually but I just don't really care too much.

If anyone needs the OEM speaker grills I have fronts and rears

The Pioneer 6.5s fit in the front and rear of a '97 LC. I used the Pioneer speaker grills....I might paint them a tan color eventually but I just don't really care too much.

I have 6.5 for the rear as well but haven't figured out how to mount them, how did you do it? Did you mount them directly to the door panel instead of the metal door itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom