Should I put money into this FZJ80 or find a different one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a confession. Last month I was flirting with the idea of switching from the Land Cruiser camp to the Cherokee camp. The LC is just a little too big to go the places my wheeling buddies go in their Jeeps and FJ40's, and I'm addicted to coils ever since first driving the LC. Thankfully I snapped out of it, and my plan to build the LC into an expedition vehicle are back on. As for wheeling, I'm keeping my eyes out for a cheap solid axle Toyota to build into a rockcrawler and I'll use the LC to tow it to the trail :D

My question now that I'm back on track with the Land Cruiser plan whether I should continue building this Cruiser or if I should find one with lower miles. I think I already know the answer, I'm just terrified of putting so much work into a vehicle with such high miles, as I've never owned one this high before.

It's a 1996 FZJ80 with 233,xxx miles on it and has factory lockers. I flew down to LA and bought it in November with 227,xxx miles. It already had an ARB front bumper (non-winch), Kaymar rear tire carrier, and an OME heavy lift - A good start so far. I was *told* the original owner had the head gasket replaced at 95k as a precaution. When I got there the tires I thought were going to be in good shape were actually fair at best, so I replaced the two rears as soon as I got back to Portland. I also fixed an exhaust leak, replaced the leaking windshield, and replaced all the pads and rotors.

This past month I did a tune up, replacing a leaking valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV valve, cap, rotor, and air filter. I also have a fuel filter, but I didn't have time to replace it. I was surprised at how well it ran after this, as well as the complete lack of any sort of sludge under the valve cover. The front seats are in pretty poor shape, and I really need to get some sort of seat covers on them, but they're so expensive :bang:

Here are my future plans:

- Replace Front Tires (255/85R16 KM2's)
- Service Transmission, Transfer Case, & Differentials
- Flush Brake, Coolant, Power Steering Fluids
- Paint Wheels
- 2" Front Spacers & Correct Caster
- Sell Non-Winch ARB, Buy ARB Winch Bumper & Winch
- Roof Rack & Roof Top Tent
- Dual Battery Setup
- Al's Liner Complete Vehicle - Desert Tan

In the 5,000 miles I've owned it I haven't really had any issues with it that weren't just a matter of neglect by the previous owner, I'm certain it's just the mileage that has me worried.

After typing all this out, I realize how stupid of a thread this is... :meh:

My opinion.

For the purchase price, I'd say build it.

Lower mileage doesn't mean that less will need to be spent, as I've learned, to achieve the minty fresh feel, yet pay a premium for low miles ( Well, the minority of us on Mud paid a premium. Everyone else bought mint 80s with 65k for $3k).

For what it's worth.

Sounds like J front springs may get you the lift you want. After 5000 trouble free miles I'd say keep what you've got. Unless you don't like the color

Keep it and Fix it!!!!

Where are you going to find a truck for the difference that only needs a fluids change? Sounds like all the other upgrades are just wants and you'll need to buy them for any cruiser you buy. My 92 has 206k on it and while I'm collecting parts for an engine swap, it solid otherwise. I would add a front end service to the list unless its been done recently.

Wow, and I thought I was nuts because I didn't have any reservations when I picked up a 97' rig with 244,000+ miles (two weeks ago). I say keep it. I'd buy your ARB bumper but I'm putting some money into the front end and engine maintenance first.

BTW, thanks for NorthwestFirearms.

Wow, and I thought I was nuts because I didn't have any reservations when I picked up a 97' rig with 244,000+ miles (two weeks ago). I say keep it. I'd buy your ARB bumper but I'm putting some money into the front end and engine maintenance first.

BTW, thanks for NorthwestFirearms.

you can always by oil and do maintenance, you can't always find a good deal on a used ARB:idea::meh:

They're all old and will have issues. If you buy another one, you're just trading your issues for some one else's. The nice thing about 80s is that most mods are bolt on, it's not hard to "upgrade" at a later date.

It doesn't matter which one you own, you'll spend money on it.

Keep it and move forward with your plans. You aren't going to be in any better starting point with another 80. I agree, buy a beater for the trails of OR/WA where the trees just jump out of nowhere!!

If you can, invest in a good driver seat rebuild so save up the $$ for the leather replacement from Shane (vendor here) and replace the bottom foam cushion all at the same time. These are great seats for certain body size and worth rebuilding that'll go for another 200k miles.

235 and change, is just getting warmed up for a Toyota.
WE just bought a '96 FZJ80 with 240, XXX on it, and its a boss. Needs front end service, but otherwise is rocking and rolling, wouldn't trade it.

as long as it's rust free you have a solid platform to build on. The 93 I bought has it's internal issues that popped up 105 miles after I bought it, but it's solid. Where are you trying to go that your Jeep friends are going? I can't imagine a locked 80 not going the same places unless it's offset trees in the woods.

Thank you all for the replies, I have decided to keep it indefinitely! I did a few little things to it today, such as re-bleeding the brake system, installing a replacement OEM battery tie-down (OEM was missing), relocating the CB antenna from the front to the rear, and seafoaming the engine. The time spent with it today just reinforced the idea that keeping it is the right thing to do, it really is a solid rig.

I've been trying to decide whether to rebuild or replace the two front seats. Seems like getting them recovered is going to be just under $1000, and working for a 4WD shop I can get a pair of most aftermarket seats for about half that.

I'm definitely going to need to find something to wheel the narrow trails, and keep this for a wheeling/expo rig. Offset trees are exactly what we're usually wheeling. The obstacles I can fit through haven't been a problem yet :D

Where are you trying to go that your Jeep friends are going? I can't imagine a locked 80 not going the same places unless it's offset trees in the woods.

Stay out of the Rimrock area up on White Pass in Washington lol. I went up there a couple of years ago with the short wheelbase crowd, and I swore never to return until :

a) I had a roll/exo cage,
b) I didn't give a rip about body damage.

That place was the tightest and steepest sidehill wheeling I've ever done. I felt grateful to leave with only minor body damage and a sphincter that remained clenched for 2 weeks afterward. :D

I'm man enough to admit that my pussy hurt after wheeling my 80 there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom